Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Starting the process: Applying for 189 visa

Starting the process: Applying for 189 visa

Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Tool77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting the process: Applying for 189 visa

Hi, I`m going to start my 189 visa application and I'd like to know people in a similar situation (specially in Oxfordshire), for sharing information and support through this stressful process.

My first step will be the Skill Assessment!

Wish me luck!!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:12 am
Just Joined

emmaandjamie2007 is just really niceemmaandjamie2007 is just really niceemmaandjamie2007 is just really niceemmaandjamie2007 is just really niceemmaandjamie2007 is just really niceemmaandjamie2007 is just really niceemmaandjamie2007 is just really niceemmaandjamie2007 is just really nice
Default Re: Starting the process: Applying for 189 visa

Originally Posted by Tool77
Hi, I`m going to start my 189 visa application and I'd like to know people in a similar situation (specially in Oxfordshire), for sharing information and support through this stressful process.

My first step will be the Skill Assessment!

Wish me luck!!
Hi, so what is the skill you have to be assessed?

I too am just starting my journey,
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Engineer, and cause i'm not british the process is a bit more difficult (Assessment of Non-Recognised Qualifications). My partner is a nurse and I'm trying to find out if she has to be assessed.
What's your skill?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:32 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Engineer, and cause i'm not british the process is a bit more difficult (Assessment of Non-Recognised Qualifications). My partner is a nurse and I'm trying to find out if she has to be assessed.
What's your skill?
Just wanted to clarify, it isn't because you aren't British that the process is more difficult, it is (likely) because the institution or country where you did your studies is not a member of the Washington Accord (or Sydney Accord for Engineering Technologists). In that scenario you will have to go down the CDR pathway to get your skills assessed.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:47 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The term "Engineer" covers a multitude of possibilities, a bit like calling yourself a tradesman. If your branch of engineering is applicable to mining or oil & gas you stand a better chance of finding work than if you are in manufacturing or other areas.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Moved you to the Immi Forum. Shedloads of help and info here. Good luck.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Just wanted to clarify, it isn't because you aren't British that the process is more difficult, it is (likely) because the institution or country where you did your studies is not a member of the Washington Accord (or Sydney Accord for Engineering Technologists). In that scenario you will have to go down the CDR pathway to get your skills assessed.
True, thanks. Spain did not sign the Washington accord neither the Sydney Accord. Anyway, the CDR pathway doesn't look too difficult at a first sight, only a bit confusing.

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
The term "Engineer" covers a multitude of possibilities, a bit like calling yourself a tradesman. If your branch of engineering is applicable to mining or oil & gas you stand a better chance of finding work than if you are in manufacturing or other areas.
Mining engineer. that's why I have chosen Australia.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Moved you to the Immi Forum. Shedloads of help and info here. Good luck.
sorry and thanks! I realised that I wasn't in the immi Forum just after opening the thread
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:45 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

True, thanks. Spain did not sign the Washington accord neither the Sydney Accord. Anyway, the CDR pathway doesn't look too difficult at a first sight, only a bit confusing.
Not difficult, but writing about your career episodes and collecting the required documents will take some time to do properly. I haven't done it (went through the Washington Accord pathway) but I imagine it is similar to going through a professional registration where you have to show examples of complex problem solving, working together as a team, etc...

There's one big EA thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723685, there may be info in there in between all the requests for CDRs

Best of luck with your application!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Not difficult, but writing about your career episodes and collecting the required documents will take some time to do properly. I haven't done it (went through the Washington Accord pathway) but I imagine it is similar to going through a professional registration where you have to show examples of complex problem solving, working together as a team, etc...

There's one big EA thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723685, there may be info in there in between all the requests for CDRs

Best of luck with your application!
many thanks, read that thread will be a good starting point
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Ali A is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a structural engineer (graduate). I think my degree falls under Washington accord- Am I correct in assuming this if my degree is accredited by IStructE and ICE?

Do I have to do a CDR? I think I read on Engineers Australia website that if your degrees falls under washington accord then you dont have to do a CDR!!

Is this the only part of skills assessment by Engineers Australia? I am saying this because my experience is limited so I am not sure if my work experience needs to be assessed as well (I am not claiming any points for experience). It find it a bit confusing!

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:55 am
Lost in the antipodes

Originally Posted by Ali A
I am a structural engineer (graduate). I think my degree falls under Washington accord- Am I correct in assuming this if my degree is accredited by IStructE and ICE?

Do I have to do a CDR? I think I read on Engineers Australia website that if your degrees falls under washington accord then you dont have to do a CDR!!

Is this the only part of skills assessment by Engineers Australia? I am saying this because my experience is limited so I am not sure if my work experience needs to be assessed as well (I am not claiming any points for experience). It find it a bit confusing!

Thanks in advance
Google 'Washington Accord' , 'accredited program' and your home Engineering body. There should be a link somewhere to accredited universities AND programs that are Washington Accord compatible.

For example, this is Canada's: http://www.engineerscanada.ca/files/...g_programs.pdf

Good luck.