British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Starting the process: Applying for 189 visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/starting-process-applying-189-visa-791255/)

Tool77 Mar 20th 2013 7:25 pm

Starting the process: Applying for 189 visa

Hi, I`m going to start my 189 visa application and I'd like to know people in a similar situation (specially in Oxfordshire), for sharing information and support through this stressful process.

My first step will be the Skill Assessment!

Wish me luck!!

emmaandjamie2007 Mar 21st 2013 1:12 am

Re: Starting the process: Applying for 189 visa

Originally Posted by Tool77 (Post 10615164)
Hi, I`m going to start my 189 visa application and I'd like to know people in a similar situation (specially in Oxfordshire), for sharing information and support through this stressful process.

My first step will be the Skill Assessment!

Wish me luck!!

Hi, so what is the skill you have to be assessed?

I too am just starting my journey,

Tool77 Mar 21st 2013 4:14 pm

Engineer, and cause i'm not british the process is a bit more difficult (Assessment of Non-Recognised Qualifications). My partner is a nurse and I'm trying to find out if she has to be assessed.
What's your skill?

msmyrtle Mar 21st 2013 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tool77 (Post 10616867)
Engineer, and cause i'm not british the process is a bit more difficult (Assessment of Non-Recognised Qualifications). My partner is a nurse and I'm trying to find out if she has to be assessed.
What's your skill?

Just wanted to clarify, it isn't because you aren't British that the process is more difficult, it is (likely) because the institution or country where you did your studies is not a member of the Washington Accord (or Sydney Accord for Engineering Technologists). In that scenario you will have to go down the CDR pathway to get your skills assessed.

KJCherokee Mar 22nd 2013 1:47 am

The term "Engineer" covers a multitude of possibilities, a bit like calling yourself a tradesman. If your branch of engineering is applicable to mining or oil & gas you stand a better chance of finding work than if you are in manufacturing or other areas.

moneypenny20 Mar 22nd 2013 2:16 am

Moved you to the Immi Forum. Shedloads of help and info here. :D Good luck.

Tool77 Mar 22nd 2013 8:54 am

Originally Posted by msmyrtle (Post 10617539)
Just wanted to clarify, it isn't because you aren't British that the process is more difficult, it is (likely) because the institution or country where you did your studies is not a member of the Washington Accord (or Sydney Accord for Engineering Technologists). In that scenario you will have to go down the CDR pathway to get your skills assessed.

True, thanks. Spain did not sign the Washington accord neither the Sydney Accord. Anyway, the CDR pathway doesn't look too difficult at a first sight, only a bit confusing.

Originally Posted by KJCherokee (Post 10617724)
The term "Engineer" covers a multitude of possibilities, a bit like calling yourself a tradesman. If your branch of engineering is applicable to mining or oil & gas you stand a better chance of finding work than if you are in manufacturing or other areas.

Mining engineer. that's why I have chosen Australia.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10617750)
Moved you to the Immi Forum. Shedloads of help and info here. :D Good luck.

sorry and thanks! I realised that I wasn't in the immi Forum just after opening the thread

msmyrtle Mar 22nd 2013 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Tool77 (Post 10618006)
True, thanks. Spain did not sign the Washington accord neither the Sydney Accord. Anyway, the CDR pathway doesn't look too difficult at a first sight, only a bit confusing.

Not difficult, but writing about your career episodes and collecting the required documents will take some time to do properly. I haven't done it (went through the Washington Accord pathway) but I imagine it is similar to going through a professional registration where you have to show examples of complex problem solving, working together as a team, etc...

There's one big EA thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723685, there may be info in there in between all the requests for CDRs :frown:

Best of luck with your application!

Tool77 Mar 25th 2013 10:49 am

Originally Posted by msmyrtle (Post 10618065)
Not difficult, but writing about your career episodes and collecting the required documents will take some time to do properly. I haven't done it (went through the Washington Accord pathway) but I imagine it is similar to going through a professional registration where you have to show examples of complex problem solving, working together as a team, etc...

There's one big EA thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723685, there may be info in there in between all the requests for CDRs :frown:

Best of luck with your application!

many thanks, read that thread will be a good starting point

Ali A Jan 28th 2014 10:02 pm

I am a structural engineer (graduate). I think my degree falls under Washington accord- Am I correct in assuming this if my degree is accredited by IStructE and ICE?

Do I have to do a CDR? I think I read on Engineers Australia website that if your degrees falls under washington accord then you dont have to do a CDR!!

Is this the only part of skills assessment by Engineers Australia? I am saying this because my experience is limited so I am not sure if my work experience needs to be assessed as well (I am not claiming any points for experience). It find it a bit confusing!

Thanks in advance

msmyrtle Jan 29th 2014 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Ali A (Post 11101680)
I am a structural engineer (graduate). I think my degree falls under Washington accord- Am I correct in assuming this if my degree is accredited by IStructE and ICE?

Do I have to do a CDR? I think I read on Engineers Australia website that if your degrees falls under washington accord then you dont have to do a CDR!!

Is this the only part of skills assessment by Engineers Australia? I am saying this because my experience is limited so I am not sure if my work experience needs to be assessed as well (I am not claiming any points for experience). It find it a bit confusing!

Thanks in advance

Google 'Washington Accord' , 'accredited program' and your home Engineering body. There should be a link somewhere to accredited universities AND programs that are Washington Accord compatible.

For example, this is Canada's: http://www.engineerscanada.ca/files/...g_programs.pdf

Good luck.