Spouse Visa

Old May 15th 2008, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

clbmanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Visa

I'm finally at the stage of putting pen to paper and am trying to sort out my police clearances. I need 3 so may take a while... I have a few questions...
I'm married to an Aussie with 2 children. We live in the uk and have been together for over 8 years living together for 6 with proof. We own two houses together. From what I read I should hopefully have no problem getting a spouse visa. I gather some applicant in situations like my own have been granted a permanent visa (subclass 100) straight away. Should I therefore apply for subclass 100 straight off or the 309?
My second question regards police clearances. For the Aussie and UK one, I can't seem to find how far back I have to go regarding old address. I seem to remember reading somewhere that I should go back 10 years. Is that correct?
Thanks.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

scottishlass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse Visa

Originally Posted by clbmanc
I'm finally at the stage of putting pen to paper and am trying to sort out my police clearances. I need 3 so may take a while... I have a few questions...
I'm married to an Aussie with 2 children. We live in the uk and have been together for over 8 years living together for 6 with proof. We own two houses together. From what I read I should hopefully have no problem getting a spouse visa. I gather some applicant in situations like my own have been granted a permanent visa (subclass 100) straight away. Should I therefore apply for subclass 100 straight off or the 309?
My second question regards police clearances. For the Aussie and UK one, I can't seem to find how far back I have to go regarding old address. I seem to remember reading somewhere that I should go back 10 years. Is that correct?
Thanks.
See the official Spouse Visa Thread in The Barbie for ANY questions you might have...
Old May 15th 2008, 9:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
If DIAC feel that you meet the conditions they will grant the PR straight off - and it sounds like you DO meet them; you actually apply for the PR at first whatever the length of relationship and then DIAC just cut out the temp stage.

AS for the police checks - get the forms from the two different countries and see what they currently ask for. If they don't state a length of time, go as far back as you can, and just put "can't remember more details" for anything that is hazy!
Old May 16th 2008, 3:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You apply for both visas at the same time. As long as you supply enough evidence to show you qualify for the 100 visa, the case officer must grant this.

Has your Aussie spouse also got British citizenship, out of interest? I presume the children have been registered as Australian citizens by descent.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice. My husband is here on an irish passport. Yes the children do have citizenship by decent (well, one has and the other has the forms half filled in!). I've been reading up on this visa for a while but just keep putting it off because of the sheer amount of paperwork involved! The Aussie shores are now finally calling hubby home so I'd best get cracking!
Old May 18th 2008, 1:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice. My husband is here on an irish passport. Yes the children do have citizenship by decent (well, one has and the other has the forms half filled in!). I've been reading up on this visa for a while but just keep putting it off because of the sheer amount of paperwork involved! The Aussie shores are now finally calling hubby home so I'd best get cracking!

An Irish passport is not a British one ... it might be worth getting naturalised as British while he still has the chance. It would not affect either his Irish or Australian citizenship.

Assuming your husband was born in Australia, it would probably also be a good idea to make sure the children are registered as Irish citizens, if that has not already been done (registration is mandatory for second and subsequent generations born overseas).
Old May 18th 2008, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

What would be the advantage of being naturalised british except for having another passport?
Old May 18th 2008, 6:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

What would be the advantage of being naturalised british except for having another passport?
Protection against the immigration rules being changed, for starters.

There are also other advantages, such as protection from deportation (Irish citizens can be deported) and access to policy/management Civil Service jobs.