Spouse in UK me in OZ

Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

jamesmason_three is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse in UK me in OZ

Hi All,

I am a british citizen with PR for 2years. I havent yet lived in Australia but plan on emigrating October this year, leaving my wife
and son here whilst I find a job and home for us in oz.

I will applying for a spouse visa for My wife and son( 8 months ) around June 09( due to lack of funds, rental agreement, and not taking our son away from his grandparents too early on etc ), but
I will then be in oz and my wife and son in the UK. What I would like to know is:

1) Will I have to have a job in oz and adequate accomodation BEFORE I can sponsor them?

2) What will DIAC think about me leavin my family here for 9 months, will they think our relationship is strange? will this
have an affect on the outcome?

3) Do I start the process in OZ or the UK?

I know these sort of questions have been answered 100's of times, but my concern is leaving my wife and son here for
9 months. I will be living in OZ THEN after 9 months doing the sponsoring of my spouse. I will be transferring money from our OZ bank account to our UK account and will be supporting my family.( Blimmin expensive! Providing I get a Job )

Do I even need to sponsor her, she is my wife after all?

Dazed and confused

Thanks
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse in UK me in OZ

Originally Posted by jamesmason_three
Hi All,

I am a british citizen with PR for 2years. I havent yet lived in Australia but plan on emigrating October this year, leaving my wife
and son here whilst I find a job and home for us in oz.

I will applying for a spouse visa for My wife and son( 8 months ) around June 09( due to lack of funds, rental agreement, and not taking our son away from his grandparents too early on etc ), but
I will then be in oz and my wife and son in the UK. What I would like to know is:

1) Will I have to have a job in oz and adequate accomodation BEFORE I can sponsor them?

2) What will DIAC think about me leavin my family here for 9 months, will they think our relationship is strange? will this
have an affect on the outcome?

3) Do I start the process in OZ or the UK?

I know these sort of questions have been answered 100's of times, but my concern is leaving my wife and son here for
9 months. I will be living in OZ THEN after 9 months doing the sponsoring of my spouse. I will be transferring money from our OZ bank account to our UK account and will be supporting my family.( Blimmin expensive! Providing I get a Job )

Do I even need to sponsor her, she is my wife after all?

Dazed and confused

Thanks
Yes you do need to sponsor her, as you are her spouse. She can't get a vsia otherwise. Your child then comes on the same visa as a dependent.

If you come over first make sure that you keep all records of keeping in touch with her - phone accounts etc - and details of the financial arrangements while you are apart - its all proof of an ongoing relationship.

You don't HAVE to have a job and somewhere to live before sponsoring them, but it you do then it certainly won't go against you.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

jamesmason_three is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news, so as long as I can provide evidence of an ongoing relationship we don't have to worry about the length of period being apart!

My wife is very hesitant about emigrating, so she's in no rush! But I want to have a flat and job sorted so she can feel more at 'home' when they arrive.

Just 1 more question, would I approach DIAC in Oz or would my wife start the spouse visa off in the UK?

Thanks Pollyanna
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmason_three
Just 1 more question, would I approach DIAC in Oz or would my wife start the spouse visa off in the UK?
She should apply for the spouse visa in London before leaving.

As you have a child together you should show at least 2 years cohabitation (if you have it) so that she gets a permanent visa not a temporary one. Son should be included on the application.

Don't underestimate the impact of separation on your relationship. Also, if that period is too long, the DIAC will start to wonder if the separation is permanent.

DIAC will also look to see if you were married or together when your PR visa was validated. If yes, you will likely have some problems if you migrated as a single person.

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 20th 2008 at 6:34 pm.