Spouse 309 to 100

Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

SarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the rough
Default Spouse 309 to 100

Hi all,

Just got my pack in the mail from DIAC informing me of all the items I need to get my PR Spouse visa. Just a few questions.

1) It says that the timeframe for the granting of the visa is 6-8 MONTHS. Is this really true? I was hoping to start studying in July, but it looks like I'll have to wait until this time next year if it takes that long.

2) I got my visa granted in Germany and remained there for about 3-4 more months before going to the US and then Australia. Do I need to get a German police check again? I didn't technically go back to Germany after my grant. I was already there.

3) I've already sent off my fingerprints to the US as I was there for about 3-4 months since my visa was granted. They say 16-18 weeks! When I got them 2 years ago, it was only 6-8 weeks. I probably won't get them back until after my deadline. Is it a problem to get an extention? I have proof I sent them and the FBI have already charged my card (Jan 29).

4) They want statements with FULL transactions from ALL accounts over the past 2 years.. Problem is that our German accounts have been canceled and we don't have access anymore to the transactions. And probably threw out all the statements (why would we need them, right?) What to do?

5) A lot of things are in German. Do we need to get EVERYTHING translated into English? It would really cost a fortune and take a year to get everything translated!

6) It asked for all the addresses I lived at over the past 10 years. Again? Actual addresses? I lived at 4 places in Poland, 3 places in Germany, 2 places in Australia and 1 place in the US, but for a few months every year. Anyway, I don't actually remember all of them! And there's no proof I ever lived in most of them, at least the ones in Poland!

That's it for now. Thanks for "listening"!

Cheers!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse 309 to 100

Are you British or European? Presumably you're married to an Aussie though - have to ask, sometimes people have got the wrong end of the stick You only need PCC checks generally if you have lived in a country for 12 months or more, although if you were somewhere 11 months it would be worth getting one from that country.

If you can't provide the addresses, presumably you have stamps in your passport? I would suggest when you write your statement, you explain fully about the areas you lived in and length of time you were there and why you are unable to provide actual addresses. DIAC are not machines, they are humans who understand but you still have to explain as fully as you can.

I would collect all the proof you can without going to extremes. Photo copies of pictures, Bills in both names, statements from friends and family detailing how they perceive your relationship.

Hope some of this helps. Just a bit confused as to nationality etc
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

SarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the roughSarahMarx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Are you British or European? Presumably you're married to an Aussie though

Actually, none of the above! I'm American, my husband's a PR from Switzerland. We are living in Melbourne now and have been since Jan 07, so this is the change over from my temporary to permanent spouse visa.

I moved to Europe in 1997 with many 2-3 month visits to the US over those years. Poland from 1997 til 2004 then Germany where I met my husband. I was surprised that they asked me for the last 10 years as I already gave them this info in the initial application--but I don't remember having to give exact addresses (see, I was teaching English and was given accommodation as part of the contract--no address was attached to me)

I'm not worried about getting the PR really (we're moving into our new how in Melbourne in 2 weeks, both of us are gainfully employed, we're trying for a baby now, etc) but it's just a pain having to sort through this stuff again.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahMarx
Actually, none of the above! I'm American, my husband's a PR from Switzerland. We are living in Melbourne now and have been since Jan 07, so this is the change over from my temporary to permanent spouse visa.

I moved to Europe in 1997 with many 2-3 month visits to the US over those years. Poland from 1997 til 2004 then Germany where I met my husband. I was surprised that they asked me for the last 10 years as I already gave them this info in the initial application--but I don't remember having to give exact addresses (see, I was teaching English and was given accommodation as part of the contract--no address was attached to me)

I'm not worried about getting the PR really (we're moving into our new how in Melbourne in 2 weeks, both of us are gainfully employed, we're trying for a baby now, etc) but it's just a pain having to sort through this stuff again.

6-8 months appears to be the service standard for the 75th percentile of applications:
http://www.immi.gov.au/about/reports...utput1_1_2.htm

Standard should be 6 months for an ETA eligible person (includes Americans).

In other words, 75% of applications should take less than this time and many go through more quickly. 3-4 months appears more typical of the average based on reports on this forum, which ties in with what the DIAC report for 2006/07 gives.

Your baby, incidentally, should be a triple citizen at birth: Australian, American and Swiss. Make sure you document this as soon as possible after child is born.

How long have you been married and have you looked into getting Swiss citizenship by marriage (possible in some cases after 6 years)?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for chiming in.

If the 3-4 month average is true, then maybe I can take the Grad courses in July! I'm actually contemplating a Grad Cert in Migration Law to become a migration agent and I know I need to be a PR.

Anyway, the other main question I had was if I needed to get a German police certificate as I was resident in Germany when I got the 309 visa granted and didn't actualy "return" for an accumulative 2 months. Instead just I didn't leave the country for about 4 months.

We've not yet been married for 2 years, so that's a NO on the Swiss citizenship. I'm assuming I will be elegible in 6 years even though my husband is a naturalized Swiss citizen (born in Germany, moved to Switzerland when 7, and needed to choose when 16--no dual citizenship allowed for Germans apparently.)

Not pregnant yet--trying. But we're very excited our eventual children will have the triple citizenship. And hopefully bilingual..

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahMarx
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for chiming in.

If the 3-4 month average is true, then maybe I can take the Grad courses in July! I'm actually contemplating a Grad Cert in Migration Law to become a migration agent and I know I need to be a PR.
You can do the training course without being a PR but you may have to pay more.

Anyway, the other main question I had was if I needed to get a German police certificate as I was resident in Germany when I got the 309 visa granted and didn't actualy "return" for an accumulative 2 months. Instead just I didn't leave the country for about 4 months.
Try to get one to be on safe side just in case a fussy case officer asks for one.

We've not yet been married for 2 years, so that's a NO on the Swiss citizenship. I'm assuming I will be elegible in 6 years even though my husband is a naturalized Swiss citizen (born in Germany, moved to Switzerland when 7, and needed to choose when 16--no dual citizenship allowed for Germans apparently.)
Germans can naturalize in another country these days as long as they get permission in advance. But the Swiss are more flexible.

If one of your husband's parents was German (and the other Swiss) he may still be a German citizen. Depends exactly on what he did but those born German/other can have dual citizenship, normally.