457 and criminal convictions, please help

Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Nevis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 and criminal convictions, please help

My OH has a juvenile (he was 16) criminal conviction for possession of cannabis (2 year suspended sentence). I know this will need to go on the 457 application form and i cant see it being a problem with entry (it was 28 years ago and he's done nothing wrong since!).

My worry is though, does anyone know if this will slow down our application, as my work want me to get there asap. If it does slow it down, can we maybe try and get police checks now, if this is something that they may ask for because of his history. Anyone any experience of this?

Many thanks
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 and criminal convictions, please help

If it was 28 years ago then it won't slow things down at all. Just be sure to declare it on your application as it could show up on his police clearance.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nevis
My OH has a juvenile (he was 16) criminal conviction for possession of cannabis (2 year suspended sentence). I know this will need to go on the 457 application form and i cant see it being a problem with entry (it was 28 years ago and he's done nothing wrong since!).

My worry is though, does anyone know if this will slow down our application, as my work want me to get there asap. If it does slow it down, can we maybe try and get police checks now, if this is something that they may ask for because of his history. Anyone any experience of this?

Many thanks
get police checks done

write a letter to immi about what happened and inclose it in yr application

do not lie about it

put it on the application form

if you lie about it now then if you were to go for pr later down the rd you would not get it

good luck on yr application

and dont forget to check out the whos applying 457 thread
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Many thanks to both of you.

I just worry that i have been offered a job and only just found out today that they want me to start on 31st March. The visa process hasnt been started yet (and i havent signed the contract yet). We have requested PCN checks from the police (only today), just incase they want these given my OHs conviction, but given they take 40 days to return, we would practically be there by then! Do you think it is likely they would want to see these given the conviction, as i understand (not sure if this is correct), that you dont normally need police checks for a 457 do you?

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you attach a letter to the dept of immi if you do your application electronically? What should we say "sorry for any misdemenior, wont do it again your honour".............etc etc.

Thanks very much
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nevis
Many thanks to both of you.

I just worry that i have been offered a job and only just found out today that they want me to start on 31st March. The visa process hasnt been started yet (and i havent signed the contract yet). We have requested PCN checks from the police (only today), just incase they want these given my OHs conviction, but given they take 40 days to return, we would practically be there by then! Do you think it is likely they would want to see these given the conviction, as i understand (not sure if this is correct), that you dont normally need police checks for a 457 do you?

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you attach a letter to the dept of immi if you do your application electronically? What should we say "sorry for any misdemenior, wont do it again your honour".............etc etc.

Thanks very much
If it's that long ago then don't worry about the letter. If it's his only conviction and it was when he was 16 years old then DIAC won't care. They are really only interested if he has a long criminal history or did time.

Try to relax. It's all going to be just fine in the end.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks Dorothy. Yes, you are right, i need to chill a bit! Just wondering whether to sign the contract at all now, its only a 9 month contract (can be terminated after week), less money and benefits than i get now, hubby will probably end up looking after kids full time, as they are 2 and 5 months old etc etc and a start date that will be bound to stress me out!