sponsorship or student visa?

Old May 13th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Red face sponsorship or student visa?

Hi, am in a real predicament!

I've been sending off cv's to various companies looking for sponsorship, however the more weeks that go past the less likely i think it will be to get a sponsor.

Our next thought is to go via the student visa route, however we know this is costly and would prefer not to have to spend thousands if we don't have to. We haven't sold our house yet, but don't want to sit around for months hoping to find a sponsor because i've heard that the student visa courses get booked up quickly and knowing our luck we'll hang on to make sure we definately can't find a sponsor, try and book onto a course and they'll be full!!!

HELP

What do we do for the best???? we discuss this daily but end up going round in circles.
Old May 13th 2008, 5:54 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all
Default Re: sponsorship or student visa?

Originally Posted by stumpysean

I've been sending off cv's to various companies looking for sponsorship, however the more weeks that go past the less likely i think it will be to get a sponsor.

Our next thought is to go via the student visa route, however we know this is costly and would prefer not to have to spend thousands if we don't have to. We haven't sold our house yet, but don't want to sit around for months hoping to find a sponsor because i've heard that the student visa courses get booked up quickly and knowing our luck we'll hang on to make sure we definately can't find a sponsor, try and book onto a course and they'll be full!!!

HELP

What do we do for the best???? we discuss this daily but end up going round in circles.

hiya,
how long have you been sending your cv off and have you hd your cv professionally done or looked at for migrating purposes, we had hubbies cv/resume professionally done , sent it to loads of companies, looked up yellowpages.com.au and found loads of comapnies in hubbies line of business and e-mailed hubbys resume to them , even though they were not aadvertising vacancies, we eventually after a month we had a job offer and we are now in the process of doing the paperwork etc for the sponsorship

dont give up, someone in Australia wants you

michell
Old May 13th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by michell
hiya,
how long have you been sending your cv off and have you hd your cv professionally done or looked at for migrating purposes, we had hubbies cv/resume professionally done , sent it to loads of companies, looked up yellowpages.com.au and found loads of comapnies in hubbies line of business and e-mailed hubbys resume to them , even though they were not aadvertising vacancies, we eventually after a month we had a job offer and we are now in the process of doing the paperwork etc for the sponsorship

dont give up, someone in Australia wants you

michell
it's been about 3/4 weeks i suppose. Not long really but i feel i've exhausted all avenues. I've done the same as you really, scoured yellow pages, sent c.v to places not advertising etc....i did cv myself off a template given on here. I think it may now be worth having it done proffessionally?

Also, i see by your time line that you waited for a job offer before putting house on the market? What time scales are you working toward? are the new employers prepared to wait for you to sell etc.....how are you working it all in??
Old May 13th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

HELP

What do you do for a living?
Find out who the Suppliers are with in your industry give them a call and see if they will FAX your CV.

A lot of companys treat emailed CVS as SPAM.
Been there bought the T-Shirt
got my sponsor but cant nominate a skill trade not on the list
Old May 13th 2008, 7:16 pm

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

it's been about 3/4 weeks i suppose. Not long really but i feel i've exhausted all avenues. I've done the same as you really, scoured yellow pages, sent c.v to places not advertising etc....i did cv myself off a template given on here. I think it may now be worth having it done proffessionally?

Also, i see by your time line that you waited for a job offer before putting house on the market? What time scales are you working toward? are the new employers prepared to wait for you to sell etc.....how are you working it all in??
Funny enough we was planning on putting our house on the market when we decided that we was going down the sponsor route, we had decided if we had sold before we got a sponsor that we would go into rental accomodation and put the equity from our sale into a high interest account, but we got the sponsorship verball offer quicker than we thought , as some people have been waiting for 6 mths or so before they got a sponsor, my husbands new employer has not stated a start date on the job offer so it has and does give us a little flexy time, we would really like to be there by July /August time,

we are assigning a new estate agent in the next few weeks as the one we are with presently has been useless, and the company we are going to sign up with are a much better,bigger company and was very positve they could sell our property within weeks as they have clients wanting properties down our cul-de-sac already on there books, so we are keeping our fingers crossed on that one.
when we do sell and contracts are signed we will ask to exchange 2 weeks after the contracts are signed get a removal company in and then exchange, we will then if we need to move in with the in-laws or rent for a few weeks if we need to,

this is how we are planning it all whether it works out like that we will have to wait and see.

michell
Old May 13th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nevsy
What do you do for a living?
Find out who the Suppliers are with in your industry give them a call and see if they will FAX your CV.

A lot of companys treat emailed CVS as SPAM.
Been there bought the T-Shirt
got my sponsor but cant nominate a skill trade not on the list
I'm actually looking for a child care worker postion or a 'youth' worker position.
I'm getting some replys back, but i'm sure most of them aren't familiar with the 457??????
Old May 13th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michell
Funny enough we was planning on putting our house on the market when we decided that we was going down the sponsor route, we had decided if we had sold before we got a sponsor that we would go into rental accomodation and put the equity from our sale into a high interest account, but we got the sponsorship verball offer quicker than we thought , as some people have been waiting for 6 mths or so before they got a sponsor, my husbands new employer has not stated a start date on the job offer so it has and does give us a little flexy time, we would really like to be there by July /August time,

we are assigning a new estate agent in the next few weeks as the one we are with presently has been useless, and the company we are going to sign up with are a much better,bigger company and was very positve they could sell our property within weeks as they have clients wanting properties down our cul-de-sac already on there books, so we are keeping our fingers crossed on that one.
when we do sell and contracts are signed we will ask to exchange 2 weeks after the contracts are signed get a removal company in and then exchange, we will then if we need to move in with the in-laws or rent for a few weeks if we need to,

this is how we are planning it all whether it works out like that we will have to wait and see.

michell
We keep wondering whether to do that but with 2 kids in tow (plus a foster girl) it's not that easy. If it was just the 2 of us, no probs, but unfortunately it will be more difficult with the kids.
Old May 13th 2008, 9:42 pm

We keep wondering whether to do that but with 2 kids in tow (plus a foster girl) it's not that easy. If it was just the 2 of us, no probs, but unfortunately it will be more difficult with the kids.

hiya again,
We have 6 children in total, only 4 coming with us though the 2 eldest have flown the nest and want to stay in the u.k, the other 4 are 10,7, and twins are 5 nxt month so we know what you mean but is doable .

michell
Old May 13th 2008, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

heg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's hard looking for a job/sponsorship from overseas. I think you really need to talk to people though. If you can start by thinking exactly what kind of job/employer you want, then start calling those people (not the recruitment agencies), telling them your plans, you'll get heaps of good advice, encouragement and information about what to do.
You would find it easier to do this if you have a voip service for cheap and easy calls.
I spent two months doing pretty much just that but it paid off in the end. It seemed impossible at the time but now it has worked out really well - not only for the first job but also contacts and friends for the future. Many 'hirers' are of course very busy and appreciate being reminded of your interest. They are also more likely to remember you if they have spoken with you. Sometimes you may get a call pretty much out of the blue - someone says "we were just discussing how we needed someone... and then your call came through!".

So start making some calls and keep track of your dealings with each company/organisation.

There are definitely opportunities out there for you but you need to do more than email your cv.

Best of luck!
Old May 14th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, you're propbably right!

I need to get more pro-active and actually ring these people, it's just that I don't like doing that sort of thing really, but needs must I suppose!

I haven't got much to loose at the end of th eday have I? They can only say No!

Old May 14th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

heg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but it's not as though you're hassling them - they need good people to work for them.
Usually there may be some HR department but it's useless sending your cv there unless it's to apply for an advertised position.

Here's what I ended up doing:

Search high and low for all possible employers but stick to one area and your strongest skills. Look on their websites and track down the contact details of
1. departmental head
2. the secretary
3. the manager who will be your supervisor
it may take a couple of calls and emails to do this. All these people should know about you and pick up on your enthusiasm. Ask them about any opportunities and any suggestions. Make sure you follow up on leads.
I just had another idea.... I think there is some kind of regional list of employers who are geared up for sponsoring people. Look on the DIAC website under sponsorship. Read up on all this and ask for advice. There may be some good leads. Also if you are talking to employers you can reassure them about the process if you know all about how it works.

May as well go for it!

Hywel