sponsorship

Old Feb 25th 2006, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Jaspal singh is on a distinguished road
Default sponsorship

Dear friends,
Please, can anyone tell me if I can sponsor my brother for PR? I am in Melbourne on a STNI PR visa since last 5 months & now my brother also wants to come here. His wife has got her skills assessed as Dress Maker from TRA & they can easily get 110 points. Now if I sponsor them , they will get additional 15 marks & then they can easily get a PR.
But my doubts are that since I am myself a new migrant, can I sponsor them? Also my brother will not be the principal applicant. Secondly, one of my friend, who is here on a PR since last 8 years is ready to give assurance of support. Will my friend have to pay some money to be assurance of support or just give in writing that he is ready to support?
Please, can anyone help?
Thanks in anticipation.
JASPAL SINGH
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:41 am

orangestreet will become famous soon enough
Default Re: sponsorship

Hey Jaspal,

To the best of my knowledge:

1 - You can sponsor as long as you are a resident - in the sense that Australia is your place of residence and no other. 5 Months in Oz should be more than enough to fulfil you sponsorship obligations.

2 - You can sponsor your brother..even though your Sister-in-law is the points provider. You being related by blood to your brother will fetch them 15 points and your Sis-in-law will provide the points required and meet the basic requirements.

3 - There are tons of threads here on AOS and plenty is available on the net and the DIMA website. If your friend meets the income criteria for AOS, he can be the assurer. AFAIK, it is $5000 for the couple and you or your family can give it to your friend (if you want) who will then lodge it with The Commonwealth Bank, through centrelink for a period of two years - after that the money will be returned to the assurer (assuming no untoward incidents happen which makes the federal government to withdraw money from your Assurer's deposit)

Do some research about this on the forum and elsewhere and you will get tons of info about it. Hopefully, an expert on this site will read your thread and add more value to it.

Cheers,
Orangestreet
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Jaspal singh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: sponsorship

Originally Posted by orangestreet
Hey Jaspal,

To the best of my knowledge:

1 - You can sponsor as long as you are a resident - in the sense that Australia is your place of residence and no other. 5 Months in Oz should be more than enough to fulfil you sponsorship obligations.

2 - You can sponsor your brother..even though your Sister-in-law is the points provider. You being related by blood to your brother will fetch them 15 points and your Sis-in-law will provide the points required and meet the basic requirements.

3 - There are tons of threads here on AOS and plenty is available on the net and the DIMA website. If your friend meets the income criteria for AOS, he can be the assurer. AFAIK, it is $5000 for the couple and you or your family can give it to your friend (if you want) who will then lodge it with The Commonwealth Bank, through centrelink for a period of two years - after that the money will be returned to the assurer (assuming no untoward incidents happen which makes the federal government to withdraw money from your Assurer's deposit)

Do some research about this on the forum and elsewhere and you will get tons of info about it. Hopefully, an expert on this site will read your thread and add more value to it.

Cheers,
Orangestreet
Dear Orangestreet,
Thanks a million for your response. You have made my day. I will do some research on this. Lets hope few more of my friends add to this so that I get a clearer picture about Assurence of Support.
Thanks once again.
JASPAL SINGH