skills test

Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:09 am
Just Joined

andygale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default skills test

hi all, i have to sit a carpentry skills assesment . at the cost of £1000 much to my annoyance, can anyone tell me what the test consists of..many thanks
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:16 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skills test

Originally Posted by andygale
hi all, i have to sit a carpentry skills assesment . at the cost of £1000 much to my annoyance, can anyone tell me what the test consists of..many thanks
try contacting leelee

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=83515
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:29 am
Just Joined

cheers
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough

£1000 you must be joking, one big rip off, but good luck anyway. i think all they want is our money - not our trades!!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:01 am
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there andy!

I did the practical in july and passed. Vetassess send you an information sheet telling you what tools to take and what task you will be performing on the day.
We had to make a saw horse from plans(the plans wern't very good but most managed fine.
We had to sharpen a chisel half way through(the assessor will just pluck you out at random to do small tasks and answer pretty straight forward question throughout the day)
We had to construct a roof secondly (hip on one end and a gable on the other,around 3ft x 5ft base), Make sure you read all the information on the sheets and take your time,there is no time limit.
You will have to plane a piece of timber down and chamfer off one end all the way round(the assessor wants to see if you can use a hand plane aswell as an electric plane and skill saw/circular saw.
The last task was to set out some stud work off a sole plate(just mark out all the uprights, the window opening and the door opening,lining) The assessor wanted this to work so i left gaps for packing on the lining and window and accounted for the hinge and door gaps.

The assessor i had was fine and wasn't there to try and catch you out but just wants to know your true standard. Wish you all the luck, If you want any info at all then just PM me.

Lee

Last edited by LeeLee; Sep 17th 2008 at 11:03 am.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

are you in the uk or aus.hope i don,t have to do the test when i get there next month.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by darrellandsarah
are you in the uk or aus.hope i don,t have to do the test when i get there next month.
No it's the vetassess test you have to do to obtain a visa for aus. Every applicant looking to get the 175 skilled independant visa has to do this.

Don't panic!!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LeeLee
No it's the vetassess test you have to do to obtain a visa for aus. Every applicant looking to get the 175 skilled independant visa has to do this.

Don't panic!!
when did they bring this in then as i got my 175visas in december and never had to sit a test.how did you get on by the way hope it went well
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by darrellandsarah
when did they bring this in then as i got my 175visas in december and never had to sit a test.how did you get on by the way hope it went well
I think they bought it in sept 07 i think. but if you applied a little while before thta date you would have been fine.
I passed but there have been a few that havn't and have had to pay for it again!! £1000 a time!!!:curse:
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

the vettasses trade test came in after sept last year to replace the old tra system. i think some trades actually get the australian equivalant cert out of it, like carps and brickys, as a plumber i will get my provisional licence,
Ps dont stay in the hotel where leelee stayed (he was late on the test day!!!!!!!!!!).
john
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by johnknight001
the vettasses trade test came in after sept last year to replace the old tra system. i think some trades actually get the australian equivalant cert out of it, like carps and brickys, as a plumber i will get my provisional licence,
Ps dont stay in the hotel where leelee stayed (he was late on the test day!!!!!!!!!!).
john
Cheers for that john!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Hello there andy!

I did the practical in july and passed. Vetassess send you an information sheet telling you what tools to take and what task you will be performing on the day.
We had to make a saw horse from plans(the plans wern't very good but most managed fine.
We had to sharpen a chisel half way through(the assessor will just pluck you out at random to do small tasks and answer pretty straight forward question throughout the day)
We had to construct a roof secondly (hip on one end and a gable on the other,around 3ft x 5ft base), Make sure you read all the information on the sheets and take your time,there is no time limit.
You will have to plane a piece of timber down and chamfer off one end all the way round(the assessor wants to see if you can use a hand plane aswell as an electric plane and skill saw/circular saw.
The last task was to set out some stud work off a sole plate(just mark out all the uprights, the window opening and the door opening,lining) The assessor wanted this to work so i left gaps for packing on the lining and window and accounted for the hinge and door gaps.

The assessor i had was fine and wasn't there to try and catch you out but just wants to know your true standard. Wish you all the luck, If you want any info at all then just PM me.

Lee
thanks for the info lee, is good to know what your up against before hand eh, hows your application going and where are you thinking of in aus
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:07 am
Account Closed

thanks for the info lee, is good to know what your up against before hand eh, hows your application going and where are you thinking of in aus
I've paid for my visa, i'm now gathering the evidence together to send off at the mo.I'll then be looking to get my police records and meds away asap.
I'm looking to go to Brisbane. How bout urself? Are you going with family?
Old Sep 21st 2008, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

I've paid for my visa, i'm now gathering the evidence together to send off at the mo.I'll then be looking to get my police records and meds away asap.
I'm looking to go to Brisbane. How bout urself? Are you going with family?
yeh with wife and 2 teenage boys, to a place called secret harbour which is about an hour south of perth as i have a daughter and 2 grandaughters living there, how about you
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

yeh with wife and 2 teenage boys, to a place called secret harbour which is about an hour south of perth as i have a daughter and 2 grandaughters living there, how about you
I was always planning on going on my own but my girlfriend is now wanting to come with but only on a working holiday visa for the time being to see if she liked it as much as i did when i did the working holiday a couple of years ago.
I am open to where i want to live but as i kind of fell in love with Brisbane and i'm going to see what the work situation is like their before i stay put.Have you set any date for when you might be looking to go? Obviously depends on the visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.