Skilled worker, need visa recommendations

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

that adam guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled worker, need visa recommendations

Hi all,

after browsing many of your posts i still have a few unanswered questions!

I am a youngish Electrician/engineer looking to move to australia in the new year, I have booked a little reccy trip in january to check everything out where I will be staying etc as i have friends out there i can stay with for a couple of weeks. firstly the aus website isn't clear if i need a visa to travel as a tourist for a couple of weeks. can anybody confirm this?

Second part, I want to apply for the correct visa, but am worried at waiting times. Is it better to apply for a temporary working visa and then once settled look to have it extended/ apply for citizenship or is it worth just going for full visa before moving.

I appreciate any help you guys can give!
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 9:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled worker, need visa recommendations

Originally Posted by that adam guy
Hi all,

I am a youngish Electrician/engineer looking to move to australia in the new year, I have booked a little reccy trip in january to check everything out where I will be staying etc as i have friends out there i can stay with for a couple of weeks. firstly the aus website isn't clear if i need a visa to travel as a tourist for a couple of weeks. can anybody confirm this?

Second part, I want to apply for the correct visa, but am worried at waiting times. Is it better to apply for a temporary working visa and then once settled look to have it extended/ apply for citizenship or is it worth just going for full visa before moving.

First the easy bit - Yes, you did need a visa of some kind to visit, and you won't be able to board a flight without one!
Start here - Visit Australia
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 9:29 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

If you can get sponsorship, you could go for a temporary working visa, a 457, but if your aim is to live here permanently you will still need to be able to apply for PR after that. You can't go from a temporary visa to citizenship. Going for permanent residency straightaway is the best option
Options for working visas are here - Work in Australia
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

that adam guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Appreciate that response - I've already looked into it however for my 2 week 'vacation trip' what kinda visa will i need, I assume it wont affect my application for a PR later on?

cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

You need to get a tourist visa or you won't be allowed to board a plane. Everybody needs a visa for Australia other than Australian citizens.

If you want to move permanently to Australia, then you will have to accept that there will be waiting times whilst the visa is processed.

I don't know what visa you specifically mean by "temporary working visa", but if you mean the temporary employer sponsored visa, well you would need to find a willing employer sponsor first so there is nothing particularly quick about that and especially not as an electrician as you would need to get licenced before you can work for anyone.

Also nobody can go from a temporary visa to citizenship, a permanent visa is always required before citizenship. It is too early for you to be thinking of citizenship anyway, it is a good four years off for you still.

As you do appear to want to make this a permanent move, skilled migration is the most realistic option. Have you looked into this yet?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

There is not enough information to determine but if eligible a working holiday visa may be an option?
Old Nov 24th 2014, 2:31 am
Home and Happy

Appreciate that response - I've already looked into it however for my 2 week 'vacation trip' what kinda visa will i need, I assume it wont affect my application for a PR later on?

cheers
Nope, won't affect a later application at all
Have a look at that first link I posted, as if all you need is a two week holiday visa, you can probably have an e-visitor, but it depends on what passport/nationalityy you have.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 9:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you hold a British citizen passport then apply online for your subclass 651 eVisitor visa. It's free and usually granted automatically. This will enable you to travel to Australia for up to three months.

eVisitor (subclass 651)

If you decide you do want to make the move, and you qualify, then a subclass 417 Working Holiday visa might be a good start. It'll allow you to work and find an employer willing to sponsor you longer term. You can then lodge another application whilst in Australia and then continue to work whilst a decision is being made.

Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

Last edited by BritInParis; Nov 24th 2014 at 10:01 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 11:43 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

As an electrician you would need to pass some licensing requirements before working in Australia. It can also be difficult to find employment on a 417 Working Holiday Visa. If you meet the requirements it is far better to get your Permanent Residency visa before moving - then you are far more employable as you don't have any restrictions.

Best of luck.