Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138)

Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138)

Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

lovedaysnj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138)

Can anyone help me with the sponsor side of this visa? You get points for having a sponsor (which we have - Uncle & Aunt), do you have to live in the same state as them - like you do for the Designated Area Sponsored Visa - or can they sponsor you for the application but you are free to live in a different state?

Also - it would be my husband who would be the main applicant and applying as a Paramedic, but it is my Uncle & Aunt who live out there..... would they say "well the main applicant is Mr ...... but it is Mrs .......who has a blood relative in Oz so we won't accept the application"? Does that question make sense?

Last edited by lovedaysnj; Jan 10th 2007 at 1:56 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138)

Originally Posted by lovedaysnj
Can anyone help me with the sponsor side of this visa? You get points for having a sponsor (which we have - Uncle & Aunt), do you have to live in the same state as them - like you do for the Designated Area Sponsored Visa - or can they sponsor you for the application but you are free to live in a different state?

Also - it would be my husband who would be the main applicant and applying as a Paramedic, but it is my Uncle & Aunt who live out there..... would they say "well the main applicant is Mr ...... but it is Mrs .......who has a blood relative in Oz so we won't accept the application"? Does that question make sense?

Hiya,

This is the visa my husband and I have.

You don't have to live in the same state as your sponsor, you can live wherever you like

Similar to your own situation, my husband was the one with family there and I was the one with the skills, so my husband was the main or lead applicant and I was the secondary applicant. Our agent told us that it had to be this way round.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application. If you have any more 138 queries I'll be happy to share my experiences with you, just gove me a yell!

Suzi
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:15 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
Hiya,

This is the visa my husband and I have.

You don't have to live in the same state as your sponsor, you can live wherever you like

Similar to your own situation, my husband was the one with family there and I was the one with the skills, so my husband was the main or lead applicant and I was the secondary applicant. Our agent told us that it had to be this way round.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application. If you have any more 138 queries I'll be happy to share my experiences with you, just gove me a yell!

Suzi
Hi Suzi,

Since 1 October last year the main applicant in a family sponsored application is the skilled applicant. Forms should make this clear.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

lovedaysnj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Suzi,

Since 1 October last year the main applicant in a family sponsored application is the skilled applicant. Forms should make this clear.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks Suzi

And thank you as well George - so my husband would be the main applicant as he is the one applying for a job, but they would still accept the application with me as the secondary applicant & the one with the family living there?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Suzi,

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks George, I didn't realise!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

D80Jase is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Suzi,

Cheers,

George Lombard
Hello there - I was informed by an agent that it was the other way around.
I should go as the main applicant with me having my Uncle & Aunt out there, and my wife being the second applicant as she is the one with the skills.
Well someone must be right!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D80Jase
Hello there - I was informed by an agent that it was the other way around.
I should go as the main applicant with me having my Uncle & Aunt out there, and my wife being the second applicant as she is the one with the skills.
Well someone must be right!

So make up your mind who you want to believe. As George has said this is quite a recent change in the rules. Not all agents may be up to speed on it.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

We are in the same situation as you as my husband has the family downunder and my skills/degree are getting assessed. we are going through an agent and according to her everything should be fine.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Hi Suzi,

Cheers,

George Lombard

okay, a wee bit worried now?! I am the main applicant but I have no family in Oz but the OH does. Can we still apply through the 138 visa?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

D80Jase is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brissydeb
okay, a wee bit worried now?! I am the main applicant but I have no family in Oz but the OH does. Can we still apply through the 138 visa?
Well like the man said, it could be that all agents arnt up to speed. Must be alot get changed around all the time i suppose.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by D80Jase
Well like the man said, it could be that all agents arnt up to speed. Must be alot get changed around all the time i suppose.
I'm not gonna sleep well tonight!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brissydeb
I'm not gonna sleep well tonight!
It will be fine - we were only discussing who should be the lead applicant, you can apply for a 138, and given the new rules the person with the skills will be the lead applicant.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

lee wither is an unknown quantity at this point

my application is about to go off with me having family down under and my partner with the skills as the secondry applicant me as the main applicant I hope my agent has got this right has any body else more information on this
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:30 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee wither
my application is about to go off with me having family down under and my partner with the skills as the secondry applicant me as the main applicant I hope my agent has got this right has any body else more information on this
Hi Lee,

No, I wasn't making it up. See http://www.immi.gov.au/legislation/a...01102006_7.htm, item vii .

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:43 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Listen to George!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.