British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/skilled-australian-sponsored-visa-subclass-138-a-417954/)

lovedaysnj Jan 10th 2007 12:53 am

Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138)

Can anyone help me with the sponsor side of this visa? You get points for having a sponsor (which we have - Uncle & Aunt), do you have to live in the same state as them - like you do for the Designated Area Sponsored Visa - or can they sponsor you for the application but you are free to live in a different state?

Also - it would be my husband who would be the main applicant and applying as a Paramedic, but it is my Uncle & Aunt who live out there..... would they say "well the main applicant is Mr ...... but it is Mrs .......who has a blood relative in Oz so we won't accept the application"? Does that question make sense?

suzimc Jan 10th 2007 2:07 am

Re: Skilled Australian Sponsored visa (subclass 138)

Originally Posted by lovedaysnj (Post 4266916)
Can anyone help me with the sponsor side of this visa? You get points for having a sponsor (which we have - Uncle & Aunt), do you have to live in the same state as them - like you do for the Designated Area Sponsored Visa - or can they sponsor you for the application but you are free to live in a different state?

Also - it would be my husband who would be the main applicant and applying as a Paramedic, but it is my Uncle & Aunt who live out there..... would they say "well the main applicant is Mr ...... but it is Mrs .......who has a blood relative in Oz so we won't accept the application"? Does that question make sense?

Hiya,

This is the visa my husband and I have.

You don't have to live in the same state as your sponsor, you can live wherever you like :)

Similar to your own situation, my husband was the one with family there and I was the one with the skills, so my husband was the main or lead applicant and I was the secondary applicant. Our agent told us that it had to be this way round.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application. If you have any more 138 queries I'll be happy to share my experiences with you, just gove me a yell!

Suzi

George Lombard Jan 10th 2007 2:15 am

Originally Posted by suzimc (Post 4267074)
Hiya,

This is the visa my husband and I have.

You don't have to live in the same state as your sponsor, you can live wherever you like :)

Similar to your own situation, my husband was the one with family there and I was the one with the skills, so my husband was the main or lead applicant and I was the secondary applicant. Our agent told us that it had to be this way round.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application. If you have any more 138 queries I'll be happy to share my experiences with you, just gove me a yell!

Suzi

Hi Suzi,

Since 1 October last year the main applicant in a family sponsored application is the skilled applicant. Forms should make this clear.

Cheers,

George Lombard

lovedaysnj Jan 10th 2007 2:33 am

Originally Posted by George Lombard (Post 4267091)
Hi Suzi,

Since 1 October last year the main applicant in a family sponsored application is the skilled applicant. Forms should make this clear.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks Suzi :)

And thank you as well George - so my husband would be the main applicant as he is the one applying for a job, but they would still accept the application with me as the secondary applicant & the one with the family living there?

suzimc Jan 10th 2007 2:36 am

Hi Suzi,

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks George, I didn't realise!

D80Jase Feb 14th 2007 10:27 am

Hi Suzi,

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hello there - I was informed by an agent that it was the other way around.
I should go as the main applicant with me having my Uncle & Aunt out there, and my wife being the second applicant as she is the one with the skills.
Well someone must be right! :confused:

JAJ Feb 14th 2007 10:40 am

Originally Posted by D80Jase (Post 4405858)
Hello there - I was informed by an agent that it was the other way around.
I should go as the main applicant with me having my Uncle & Aunt out there, and my wife being the second applicant as she is the one with the skills.
Well someone must be right! :confused:

So make up your mind who you want to believe. As George has said this is quite a recent change in the rules. Not all agents may be up to speed on it.

brissydeb Feb 14th 2007 10:40 am

We are in the same situation as you as my husband has the family downunder and my skills/degree are getting assessed. we are going through an agent and according to her everything should be fine.:)

brissydeb Feb 14th 2007 10:46 am

Hi Suzi,

Cheers,

George Lombard

okay, a wee bit worried now?! I am the main applicant but I have no family in Oz but the OH does. Can we still apply through the 138 visa?:confused:

D80Jase Feb 14th 2007 10:53 am

Originally Posted by brissydeb (Post 4405919)
okay, a wee bit worried now?! I am the main applicant but I have no family in Oz but the OH does. Can we still apply through the 138 visa?:confused:

Well like the man said, it could be that all agents arnt up to speed. Must be alot get changed around all the time i suppose.

brissydeb Feb 14th 2007 10:57 am

Originally Posted by D80Jase (Post 4405942)
Well like the man said, it could be that all agents arnt up to speed. Must be alot get changed around all the time i suppose.

I'm not gonna sleep well tonight!:frown: :huh:

suzimc Feb 14th 2007 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by brissydeb (Post 4405959)
I'm not gonna sleep well tonight!:frown: :huh:

It will be fine - we were only discussing who should be the lead applicant, you can apply for a 138, and given the new rules the person with the skills will be the lead applicant. :)

lee wither Feb 15th 2007 1:49 am

my application is about to go off with me having family down under and my partner with the skills as the secondry applicant me as the main applicant I hope my agent has got this right has any body else more information on this

George Lombard Feb 15th 2007 3:30 am

Originally Posted by lee wither (Post 4407797)
my application is about to go off with me having family down under and my partner with the skills as the secondry applicant me as the main applicant I hope my agent has got this right has any body else more information on this

Hi Lee,

No, I wasn't making it up. See http://www.immi.gov.au/legislation/a...01102006_7.htm, item vii .

Cheers,

George Lombard

WS Feb 15th 2007 3:43 am

Listen to George!!! :)