SIR visa processing times

Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Greg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIR visa processing times

Hi, hoping for a bit of advice please - apologies if I'm going over old ground - this is all a little new to me

We're planning to move to Adelaide under the SIR visa scheme. We've obtained sponsorship from the SA state government but have yet to lodge our visa application with DIMIA - reason being we won't realistically be able to move until mid-2008 and the DIMIA website indicates that visas are processed in as little as 7 months.

Is this an accurate processing time or does it take longer in reality?

My concern is that the 3 year visa starts from date of issue (is this correct?) and so if we apply too soon and can't leave until mid-08 then we'll lose the best part of a year from the visa.

At the same time we're keen to get the visa "in the bag" before they change the rules again!

Any advice gratefully received.

regards,
Greg
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of
Default Re: SIR visa processing times

Originally Posted by Greg
Hi, hoping for a bit of advice please - apologies if I'm going over old ground - this is all a little new to me

We're planning to move to Adelaide under the SIR visa scheme. We've obtained sponsorship from the SA state government but have yet to lodge our visa application with DIMIA - reason being we won't realistically be able to move until mid-2008 and the DIMIA website indicates that visas are processed in as little as 7 months.

Is this an accurate processing time or does it take longer in reality?

My concern is that the 3 year visa starts from date of issue (is this correct?) and so if we apply too soon and can't leave until mid-08 then we'll lose the best part of a year from the visa.

At the same time we're keen to get the visa "in the bag" before they change the rules again!

Any advice gratefully received.

regards,
Greg
Hi Greg

I think that you will find that you have 12 months from the date of your medicals/police checks to initially enter Australia. Your 3 year countdown starts for the SIR visa once you actually set foot in Australia for the first time.

So if you were to apply now and get your visa by July/August 2007 you would probably have until mid 2008 to enter Australia for the first time anyway which would fit in with your timetable.

Of course this depend on how quickly you are processed-online applications are much quicker than paper-based.

We applied by paper on 3rd October and are expecting to be asked for medicals by the beginning of Feb.

Hope that this helps, I would apply asap personally.....

F
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Greg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flutterby
Hi Greg

I think that you will find that you have 12 months from the date of your medicals/police checks to initially enter Australia. Your 3 year countdown starts for the SIR visa once you actually set foot in Australia for the first time.

So if you were to apply now and get your visa by July/August 2007 you would probably have until mid 2008 to enter Australia for the first time anyway which would fit in with your timetable.

Of course this depend on how quickly you are processed-online applications are much quicker than paper-based.

We applied by paper on 3rd October and are expecting to be asked for medicals by the beginning of Feb.

Hope that this helps, I would apply asap personally.....

F
Flutterby, thanks for the pointers - that sounds a lot better to me!

cheers, and good luck with your own plans

Greg
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Greg
Flutterby, thanks for the pointers - that sounds a lot better to me!

cheers, and good luck with your own plans

Greg
Have you checked out pomsinadelaide.com. There's been a lot of discussion about validating and when the clock starts ticking. One lady has had her pc and med requests, after only one week of applying on line. My friend applied at the beginning of September by post and is still waiting for a co. We applied on line last week,so I'm hoping we'll hear something soon.
Nick