SIR occupations

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

ozpotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIR occupations

Hi

Does anyone know if you have to work in the occupation which is in demand, and you have the relevant skills for?
Would they cancel the visa if you got a job doing something they didn't consider as being in demand?

THanks
OP
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SIR occupations

Originally posted by ozpotty
Hi

Does anyone know if you have to work in the occupation which is in demand, and you have the relevant skills for?
Would they cancel the visa if you got a job doing something they didn't consider as being in demand?

THanks
OP
Hi

For the SIR visa(110points) your job doesnt have to be in demand but has to be on the sol list.
For jobs in demand that is for the STNI visa where you only need 70 points
hope this helps

Debs xxxx
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

ozpotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by xxdebsonlinexx
Hi

For the SIR visa(110points) your job doesnt have to be in demand but has to be on the sol list.
For jobs in demand that is for the STNI visa where you only need 70 points
hope this helps

Debs xxxx
Hi Debs

Thanks for the reply. I thought though that within each state, each region was issuing a list of which skills were scarce, and then inviting SIR applications in order to help 'fill the holes'.

I think this is quite different to the SOL which DIMIA issue.

OP
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Debs

Thanks for the reply. I thought though that within each state, each region was issuing a list of which skills were scarce, and then inviting SIR applications in order to help 'fill the holes'.

OP

Hi OP
At the moment I think it is only Queensland who have a skills in demand for SIR. I'm not sure about TAS but VIC & SA are sponsoring you as long as you are on the SOL.
VIC have said that you need to research the area you want to live for jobs etc but SA seem to be the most open.

Graham
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 10:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The situation as I see it currently is:

SA and Tasmania: whole state is eligible (so regions not an issue). No specific occupation list for SIR.

Victoria: Regional areas of the state eligible. No specific occupation list for SIR.

QLD: Not sponsoring offshore SIR applicants until October. Only regional parts of the state will be eligible.

NSW/WA: Not yet on board for SIR. Only regional parts of the state will be eligible.

ACT: Not eligible for SIR

NT: I've no information. Whole territory is SIR eligible.

With the states that do not participate in STNI currently (NSW, WA, QLD), there is a need for more clarity on how the sponsorship process for PR will work.

Just because SA, Vic and Tas do not have occupation lists does not mean they will automatically sponsor anyone who applies. They need to be confident you'll get 110 points, and in many cases will want to see evidence you're going to be able to settle successfully (especially for regional Vic and TAS).

The situation with SIR is still evolving, so keep an eye out for developments.

Jeremy

Hi Debs

OP
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:29 am
Just Joined

moromete is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did you find the information about SA? I sent them an email, questioning whether my occupation (economist) is accepted on their SIR list, and they gave me a vague answer something like "before you apply we can't give you any straight answer". But before I apply, process which would cost around 2000$, I must know whether I stand any chance or not. So please give me a link or something where to search or to find the list of occupations accepted on the SIR. Or where it says that any occupation on the SOL is accepted by them for the SIR visa.
Thank you.

Originally posted by JAJ
The situation as I see it currently is:

SA and Tasmania: whole state is eligible (so regions not an issue). No specific occupation list for SIR.

Victoria: Regional areas of the state eligible. No specific occupation list for SIR.

QLD: Not sponsoring offshore SIR applicants until October. Only regional parts of the state will be eligible.

NSW/WA: Not yet on board for SIR. Only regional parts of the state will be eligible.

ACT: Not eligible for SIR

NT: I've no information. Whole territory is SIR eligible.

With the states that do not participate in STNI currently (NSW, WA, QLD), there is a need for more clarity on how the sponsorship process for PR will work.

Just because SA, Vic and Tas do not have occupation lists does not mean they will automatically sponsor anyone who applies. They need to be confident you'll get 110 points, and in many cases will want to see evidence you're going to be able to settle successfully (especially for regional Vic and TAS).

The situation with SIR is still evolving, so keep an eye out for developments.

Jeremy
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by moromete
Where did you find the information about SA? I sent them an email, questioning whether my occupation (economist) is accepted on their SIR list, and they gave me a vague answer something like "before you apply we can't give you any straight answer". But before I apply, process which would cost around 2000$, I must know whether I stand any chance or not. So please give me a link or something where to search or to find the list of occupations accepted on the SIR. Or where it says that any occupation on the SOL is accepted by them for the SIR visa.
Thank you.

Hi Moremete
As long as your occupation is on the SOL list then you can apply for SIR.
You will need to have your skills assessed first and the apply to SA for sponsorship for SIR.
Here's the link
http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=254

and here is a quote from it

"Eligibility for the SIR (Provisional) Visa

Applicants must achieve at least 110 Points as indicated in the DIMIA Booklet 6 to be eligible to seek Sponsorship.
As described in the DIMIA Book 6, applicants need to be:

* Under 45 years of age;
* Have vocational level English;
* Nominate an occupation on DIMIA's Skilled Occupations List (a skilled occupation) and be found suitable for that occupation by the relevant Australian assessing authority;
* Have recent work experience in a skilled occupation or have recently completed an Australian qualification;
* Be sponsored by a state/territory government."

Up to th point of sponsorship the only thing you will need to pay for is the skills assessment.

Graham
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 10:55 am
Kim

Hi Jermey,

This was indeed useful but how could someone obtain sponsorship form
from S.A. I myself has sent several emails to them requesting for this
form, so far no luck!

KIM.

JAJ <member23519@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The situation as I see it currently is:
    >
    > SA and Tasmania: whole state
    > is eligible (so regions not an issue). No specific occupation list
    > for SIR.
    >
    > Victoria: Regional areas of the state eligible. No
    > specific occupation list for SIR.
    >
    > QLD: Not sponsoring offshore SIR
    > applicants until October. Only regional parts of the state will be
    > eligible.
    >
    > NSW/WA: Not yet on board for SIR. Only regional parts of
    > the state will be eligible.
    >
    > ACT: Not eligible for SIR
    >
    > NT: I've no
    > information. Whole territory is SIR eligible.
    >
    > With the states that
    > do not participate in STNI currently (NSW, WA, QLD), there is a need
    > for more clarity on how the sponsorship process for PR will work.
    >
    >
    > Just because SA, Vic and Tas do not have occupation lists does not
    > mean they will automatically sponsor anyone who applies. They need to
    > be confident you'll get 110 points, and in many cases will want to see
    > evidence you're going to be able to settle successfully (especially
    > for regional Vic and TAS).
    >
    > The situation with SIR is still evolving,
    > so keep an eye out for developments.
    >
    > Jeremy
    >
    > Originally
    > posted by ozpotty
    > > Hi Debs
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply. I thought
    > though that within each state, each region was issuing a list of which
    > skills were scarce, and then inviting SIR applications in order to
    > help 'fill the holes'.
    > >
    > > I think this is quite different to the SOL
    > which DIMIA issue.
    > >
    > OP

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

With the greatest of respect, I can give you my own impressions and nothing more.

It costs nothing to apply to South Australia for SIR sponsorship, as far as I know. Application fees kick in when you apply to DIMIA.

And if you need any more specific advice, you ought not to be asking questions here - hire a professional agent to assist you.

Jeremy

Originally posted by moromete
Thank you.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

moromete is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for you answers. I said the process it would cost me around 2000$ because I believed I have to pay the DIMIA fee before. As I see first I get the assessment, then the sponsorship and only after I get to pay the application fee. Thanks one more time.

Hi

THanks
OP