Should I take the Car

Old Dec 31st 2004, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should I take the Car

Originally Posted by C.Owen
Druid

So what was your quote like ???? and for which size of car ( compact / intermediate ) ????
Do you have a contact e-mail address for them, or contact number ?

I like many others judging by the interest on this subject, fancy the idea of taking one of our cars ( Ford Focus ...wife got it new 4 yrs ago, low milage , mint condition... ) and would rather pay a reasonable fee to take it, for use as a second car, rather than let it go for peanuts to someone.

Has anybody got a rough idea of shipping fees and import tax ?
www.karmanshipping.com they also have a nifty cost calculator and an Australia package.

£1390.00 to Fremantle for a rather "Large" family car
£15.00 per every £1000.00 of value for insurance
AUD$ 600 / 800 Port fees
Aus taxes £2500.00 (estimated including 10% import tax and 10% GST)
Possibly another AUD$1000.00 in smaller charges
Old Jan 1st 2005, 8:21 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i bought a Mini Cooper a year ago cost £16500 i am trying to flog it - any offers :-)

I know i am going to take a hit - but wouild rather liquidate my assets so to speak.

Cheers

Jon
Old Jan 1st 2005, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

mutang is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Classic Ford Mustang 1966 that i want to take , does anyone know what is payable on this vintage car ? ( taxes etc...)

Jim
Old Jan 1st 2005, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mutang
I have a Classic Ford Mustang 1966 that i want to take , does anyone know what is payable on this vintage car ? ( taxes etc...)

Jim
Over 30 years old NO tax only GST & 10% :-)) I have a 76 Triumph Stag that I was thinking of taking, but changed my mind, selling it now.

Visit the karman website it has lots of links to DOTARS etc
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 1:10 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Happy New Year to you al.
We are taking our car , it is a J reg Sierra but we have spent an absolute fortune on it (complete new engine, total respray, bodywork is now perfect) and my husband has put a lot of work into it so it is now a replica cosworth. It is as if it is a member of our family it means so much to it we couldn't possibly sell it.
You can get a copy of the current conditions governing the import of vehicles by getting in touch with an australian embassy/high commision and asking for the 'customs information for travellers and importing a motor vehicle or motorcycle.' www.customs.gov.au
This gives you all the info about latest regulations and requirements for the vehicle that's being imported.
It's also worth contacting the vehicle safety standards office to find out the safety checks they'll do so you can ensure your car will pass before you get it to Oz, the booklet you need is called 'importing vehicles to Australia' email:[email protected]
As for customs duty, if your car or 4wd is over 30 you do not pay any, under 30 years old you pay 15% or just 5% for a small commercial vehicle. GST is 10% of the sum of duty, value, insurance and transportation costs.
If you've owned the car since before 2nd Mar 98 the customs duty is worked out on purchase price +cost of mods or improvements, excluding maintenence, less 5% for 1st month + 1% for every other month up to a maximum of 76% which is equivalent to 6 yrs ownership. If you got the car after 2nd Mar 98 it's worked out on purchase price + cost of mods or improvements.
I belive luxery car tax is 25% on all commercial vehicles valued at over $55,134, this figure is from 2001.
If you contact Australian Customs and Registration Departments and Shipping Agents you can get details of duty rates, customs value, depreciation allowances and personal import approvals.
Hope this helps somebody!!! Marie
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 1:39 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice
Talking Re: Should I take the Car

Don't forget that the car may have a lower resale value over in Oz due to it being an import and an import from a rust friendly country to boot!
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mutang

Jim

Oh another thing on old cars I forgot to mention, this goes for an old Sierra Cosworth as well.

If the car has the original aircon system (R12) it will have to be de-gassed, better that you do it here than have the Aussies charge you for it over there,(costs an arm and a leg to do it properly) if you have upgarded it to CFC free (R134) then find some proof that it is CFC free.

A couple of years ago they were making "ALL" cars go for de-gassing, now they just pick on the older models.

You wont be able to get it re-gassed in Aus if it is on old R12 freon, you will have to find a conversion to CFC free.