Should I apply for GSM 175 or 176?

Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

doni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I apply for GSM 175 or 176?

I am in big doubdt whether I should apply for subclass independent 175 or sponsored 176. I would be very thankful to you if you could ease my choice.

1. The minimum number of points I can get is 120. Is this enough to still apply for 175? Maybe they can change something in the meantime that can ruin my application... I wouldn't want to bother about additional documentation necessary for 176 visa.
2. I can have additional 20 points if DIAC accepts my specific work experience and occupation in demand points. I am a chemical engineer but have 5 years of experience as a chemist (not chemical engineer). Do they see those two occupations (chemical engineer and chemist) as closely related occupations? If the answer is yes, then 175 is certainly the right choice for me.
3. If points needed at the time of my application are 120, and I meet those points at that time, am I safe with regards to points for the whole time until visa grant?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

orrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really niceorrin is just really nice
Default Re: Should I apply for GSM 175 or 176?

Hi There

I would go State sponsored. As you are on the csl this will put you at No 2 in priority. If not you will be No 4 on the priority processing list. Do you want to go ASAP??
Cheers
Orrin

1. applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and the RSMS
2. applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory government and whose nominated occupation is listed on the Critical Skills List (CSL)
3. applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL
4. applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored but whose nominated occupation is listed on the CSL
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

But if I go state sponsored, I won't have all rights as a permanent resident. Am I right?

How long would I have to wait (approximately) to be granted a visa (CSL,MODL)?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Oh, you gave me an excellent idea - if my sister sponsor me, I will be 3rd in the list of priority. Then this is certainly better choice (176) than 175 visa.

Thanks Orrin!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If you have 120 points you can go for the 175 visa and have more flexibility and less paperwork

I just took a quick look and it seems that chemical engineer is only sponsored by Northern Territory or South Australia so quite restrictive. It takes a few months to get too, chemical engineer is on CSL so is one of the priorities. The official guidance is that CSL applications should be finalised before end of next year but there are CSL applicants from around May being processed now so it seems to be running a bit quicker.

Assuming you are happy with that timeline the sponsorship doesn't seem to bring much to the table.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doni
But if I go state sponsored, I won't have all rights as a permanent resident. Am I right?
No. You have all the rights of PR, except you are supposed to live in a particular state for 2 years.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much Bermudashorts!

But as I see, according to the new rules with regards to the list of priorities, 176 visa has a priority against 175 visa (for CSL applicants). Am I right? Would I have to wait shorter if I apply for 176? And if you know, is this significantly shorter?

But, on the other hand, maybe the time I would spare with 176 visa is equal to the time needed to collect all papers needed for my relatives to sponsor me (176 visa).

Kind regards.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you very much Bermudashorts!

But as I see, according to the new rules with regards to the list of priorities, 176 visa has a priority against 175 visa (for CSL applicants). Am I right? Would I have to wait shorter if I apply for 176? And if you know, is this significantly shorter?

But, on the other hand, maybe the time I would spare with 176 visa is equal to the time needed to collect all papers needed for my relatives to sponsor me (176 visa).

Kind regards.
You are correct, CSL with sponsorship is ahead of CSL without it. But for example I am CSL without sponsorship, I applied on the first of May and got a CO after five months, I just need to do medicals and PCC and then touch wood will have my visa. So I don't see that my process could have been that much quicker with sponsorship, we could only be talking a matter of weeks.

You can of course put in for the 175 application and change it to sponsored later once you have that approved. But unless you are interested in South Australia or Northern Territory then state sponsored is a non starter for you.

Personally, as CSL with 120 points, I would choose not to ask my relative to complete lots of paperwork and make financial commitments on my part for the sake of a few weeks or a month or two faster processing.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

If it's just a couple of months faster, than 175 is fine for me.

But I feel somehow uncertain with my application, since I am at the very pass mark (120 points). May something happen in the meantime, for example some new rules or smt. (while my application is being processed) that can adversely influence my application?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But I feel somehow uncertain with my application, since I am at the very pass mark (120 points). May something happen in the meantime, for example some new rules or smt. (while my application is being processed) that can adversely influence my application?
I guess we are all subject to the rules being changed as we sit in the pipeline, although I have not heard of changes meaning somebody has less points before. I suppose this could happen if you are sponsored too though. One way points can be topped up easily is to sit an IELTS test, if you get more than 7 in each band then you can get 25 points for English language.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

I have already gotten 25 points on IELTS. And would probably have 5 more points on a comunity language, but my university won't issue me a letter stating a language on which all courses were conducted. They say it's a strange request, that they did not issued such a letter so far and full stop.

They say that my university diploma and a transcript which are both in my mother language, and a citizenship certificate will be enough proof to DIAC with regards to comunity language. Will that be really sufficient to DIAC?

Sorry for mixing up different topics here. Maybe I should transfer this topic to a new thread...

Kind regards.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

The pass mark is 120 points, it makes no difference if you have 120 or 150 points.