Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

salary should be included in reference letter?

Wikiposts

salary should be included in reference letter?

Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Pinkybee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: salary should be included in reference letter?

Originally Posted by ChocCake
no im referring to employer references
i am stating hours, salary, etc in the ref, because i dont want to involve HR
As a unit manager I can say I have never seen that added to an employment reference when I've requested them. It's not really relevant at that stage of the application and the reference is for potential employers to get a good feel for your skills, limitations, work ethic etc, none of that other stuff comes into play or influences the application. As I mentioned, if offered a position with an Aust hospital they will then ask for that info in an offical letter form the HR department in order to work out your correct salary so you'll need to involve the HR dept if successful.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pinkybee
As a unit manager I can say I have never seen that added to an employment reference when I've requested them. It's not really relevant at that stage of the application and the reference is for potential employers to get a good feel for your skills, limitations, work ethic etc, none of that other stuff comes into play or influences the application. As I mentioned, if offered a position with an Aust hospital they will then ask for that info in an offical letter form the HR department in order to work out your correct salary so you'll need to involve the HR dept if successful.
but i need to have the reference ready before i submit my visa app! that's what it says -- "...documentary evidence should be INCLUDED WITH YOUR APPLICATION"

Did you do an ACS skills assessment?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Pinkybee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ChocCake
but i need to have the reference ready before i submit my visa app! that's what it says -- "...documentary evidence should be INCLUDED WITH YOUR APPLICATION"

Did you do an ACS skills assessment?
Sure did.
I'm with you now, I thoughh you meant clinical references since you were mentioning your TL, who should only really give clinical references instead of an employment reference/statement. You also should provide the clinical references in addition, the more documents you have the better as you don't want to risk being caught out missing something.
The letter you need for that should come from your HR dept since it's not a clincial reference. Since it's asking for your employment dates, the hours you've worked, the role you preformed and duties, which are usually taken from the generic PD of your role and not so much specifically to you as an individual, and your salary, it's a standard letter from the HR department since it's not a specific refereence promoting you as an employee.

They usually read along the lines of:
"*insert name here* has been employed by *insert employer here* from the period of *date* to *date* in the role of *job title and grade/band*. The main duties of this role included , but are not limited to:
*generic dutes*

*Your name* has over the period of employment with *employers name* worked in a *full or part time capacity* and at the present time has worked *insert hours* over the course of their employment.
*name* current salary is *figure*, and their last salary increase was on *date* as per *whatever award or grade/band increase*"

If you're due for a salary increase in relation to an award or grading increase this year might pay to add the date that will happen as wel, as this may fall during the time your lodge it and it's approved. You can also use this letter with your new employer to confirm your level of experience.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pinkybee
Sure did.
I'm with you now, I thoughh you meant clinical references since you were mentioning your TL, who should only really give clinical references instead of an employment reference/statement. You also should provide the clinical references in addition, the more documents you have the better as you don't want to risk being caught out missing something.
The letter you need for that should come from your HR dept since it's not a clincial reference. Since it's asking for your employment dates, the hours you've worked, the role you preformed and duties, which are usually taken from the generic PD of your role and not so much specifically to you as an individual, and your salary, it's a standard letter from the HR department since it's not a specific refereence promoting you as an employee.

They usually read along the lines of:
"*insert name here* has been employed by *insert employer here* from the period of *date* to *date* in the role of *job title and grade/band*. The main duties of this role included , but are not limited to:
*generic dutes*

*Your name* has over the period of employment with *employers name* worked in a *full or part time capacity* and at the present time has worked *insert hours* over the course of their employment.
*name* current salary is *figure*, and their last salary increase was on *date* as per *whatever award or grade/band increase*"

If you're due for a salary increase in relation to an award or grading increase this year might pay to add the date that will happen as wel, as this may fall during the time your lodge it and it's approved. You can also use this letter with your new employer to confirm your level of experience.
that's grand! thanks!
but the trouble is I dont want either the boss or HR to know!! sigh.....!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If you don't want the boss or HR to know the reason for the letters, you may want to say that it is for bank/mortgage check purposes.

But you should be aware that the ACS or the case officer (when you do lodge your visa application) may make checks to ensure that your references are genuine. (This is not that common, but it does happen.)

The more evidence you provide the better and the less likely it is that checks will be made - maybe if you include copies of your payslips you can avoid the salary question altogether.

Cheers,
Veronika
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Veronika
Hi,

If you don't want the boss or HR to know the reason for the letters, you may want to say that it is for bank/mortgage check purposes.

But you should be aware that the ACS or the case officer (when you do lodge your visa application) may make checks to ensure that your references are genuine. (This is not that common, but it does happen.)

The more evidence you provide the better and the less likely it is that checks will be made - maybe if you include copies of your payslips you can avoid the salary question altogether.

Cheers,
Veronika
Yea, the HR one is not a problem, I can say its for re-mortgage, which coincidentally, we ARE doing at the moment.
But how bout employer ref? I am IT Support Manager, will it look odd my emp ref being sign by Sales Manager?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

To be perfectly honest, I think the best thing to do is to bite the bullet and approach whoever your boss is, in your department, explain that you are planning to migrate, reassure them that you are only at the very beginning of the process, and it will take up to a year before you are ready to leave (I am guessing here, but that is the general period of time people normally take to actually pack up and go) etc etc, and get them on your side.

That would mean that you have the best person signing the reference. And you wouldn't have to worry about the confession you must make later on.

But that is the best case scenario.

If it really isn't possible, a reference from at least someone in your department who can testify to the work you do would be preferred.

Sometimes people get a general reference from HR and then a number of personal references from colleagues who they can trust to be discrete and who can confirm your role in the company.

Remember, the more detailed your references, and the more documentation you provide (project details, payslips, etc), the better off you will be.

Finally, if you do decide not to tell your boss or HR, explaining this in your covering note to the ACS will do no harm. They are human and they do understand that it is not always possible to let employers know what your future plans are.

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Veronika
To be perfectly honest, I think the best thing to do is to bite the bullet and approach whoever your boss is, in your department, explain that you are planning to migrate, reassure them that you are only at the very beginning of the process, and it will take up to a year before you are ready to leave (I am guessing here, but that is the general period of time people normally take to actually pack up and go) etc etc, and get them on your side.

That would mean that you have the best person signing the reference. And you wouldn't have to worry about the confession you must make later on.

But that is the best case scenario.

If it really isn't possible, a reference from at least someone in your department who can testify to the work you do would be preferred.

Sometimes people get a general reference from HR and then a number of personal references from colleagues who they can trust to be discrete and who can confirm your role in the company.

Remember, the more detailed your references, and the more documentation you provide (project details, payslips, etc), the better off you will be.

Finally, if you do decide not to tell your boss or HR, explaining this in your covering note to the ACS will do no harm. They are human and they do understand that it is not always possible to let employers know what your future plans are.

well this is the trouble, the head of my department, is the IT Manager, who happens to be my DH! and obviously an the secondary applicant! and so this is not going to be suitable as a reference, so i guess i can explain this in a separate letter?

yes, my references from colleague will be detailed, at least 1 of them, out of 3 + 1 from HR detailing salary, hours worked, etc.