Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Retirement & Chronic illness - will it hold back a hero?

Retirement & Chronic illness - will it hold back a hero?

Old Mar 13th 2005, 4:06 pm
wax on wax off

heswallboy will become famous soon enough
Question Retirement & Chronic illness - will it hold back a hero?

Hi all

I would seriously consider moving to Aus but my wife won't go unless her parents would consider the move.

They are financially independent, not wishing to draw a pension, which they know they can't do, but we assume that they cannot get in because of health issues - can anyone advise of this is true

My mother in law has had MS for 30 odd years (wheelchair bound.)

My father in law (who deserves a medal for his dedication to his wife) was diagnosed with myloma last year but went through a stem cell transplant and is in complete remission.

Subject to medical insurance and care - would they be refused entry anyway?
Old Mar 13th 2005, 5:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement & Chronic illness - will it hold back a hero?

Originally Posted by heswallboy
Hi all

I would seriously consider moving to Aus but my wife won't go unless her parents would consider the move.

They are financially independent, not wishing to draw a pension, which they know they can't do, but we assume that they cannot get in because of health issues - can anyone advise of this is true

My father in law (who deserves a medal for his dedication to his wife) was diagnosed with myloma last year but went through a stem cell transplant and is in complete remission.

The normal route for parents to migrate is via the Contributory Parent visa. Look at the information on the DIMIA site.

Parent visas have standard health requirements, and it is highly unlikely that anyone with MS stands a chance (sorry). Cancer normally needs a three year clear period. If you wanted a professional opinion you could contact Peter Bollard in Sydney but don't get your hopes up.

I doubt the answer for the Retirement visa would be any different, and they'd have real problems without access to Medicare, but again you'd need to explore this with a professional like Peter.

Jeremy
Old Mar 13th 2005, 6:09 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Dear HB,

Jeremy's right about the three year remission requirement for cancer. And I'd have thought your m-i-l was also unlikely to get in. I did find one case in the MRT database which permitted an MS sufferer, but he was young and it was an early diagnosis, see:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/di...2003/3991.html

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Mar 13th 2005, 6:18 pm
wax on wax off

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear HB,

Jeremy's right about the three year remission requirement for cancer. And I'd have thought your m-i-l was also unlikely to get in. I did find one case in the MRT database which permitted an MS sufferer, but he was young and it was an early diagnosis, see:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/di...2003/3991.html

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Thanks to both of you

Unfortunately not I guessed as much. After 30 years of pushing, carrying, changing, cooking, cleaning and a true demonstration of "in sickness and in health" it's a shame that you can't get a special category.

I guess SA may have to survive without us.

HB
Old Mar 13th 2005, 6:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both of you

Unfortunately not I guessed as much. After 30 years of pushing, carrying, changing, cooking, cleaning and a true demonstration of "in sickness and in health" it's a shame that you can't get a special category.

I guess SA may have to survive without us.

HB
The view of the Minister and Australian community is clear - if you apply to migrate and get accepted, Australia is accepting *you* plus your spouse and dependents but *not* your parents, brothers/sisters, other relatives etc.

Visas are available for 'family reunion' if certain specified criteria are met, but aside from those for spouses and dependent children, these criteria usually include normal health requirements. In very exceptional cases, the Minister acting personally sometimes waives health requirements, but don't count on this happening.

Australia doesn't demand its immigrants be in perfect health, but in general those with serious health issues will not be accepted unless they are spouses or dependent children of Australian citizens and permanent residents. Or if they are humanitarian migrants (refugees).

The fact that the current UK government does not seem to take the same view is something you're free to take up with your MP, or better still, express your feeling on at the general election later this year.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 13th 2005 at 6:51 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:01 pm
wax on wax off

Originally Posted by JAJ
The view of the Minister and Australian community is clear - if you apply to migrate and get accepted, Australia is accepting *you* plus your spouse and dependents but *not* your parents, brothers/sisters, other relatives etc.

Visas are available for 'family reunion' if certain specified criteria are met, but aside from those for spouses and dependent children, these criteria usually include normal health requirements. In very exceptional cases, the Minister acting personally sometimes waives health requirements, but don't count on this happening.

Australia doesn't demand its immigrants be in perfect health, but in general those with serious health issues will not be accepted unless they are spouses or dependent children of Australian citizens and permanent residents. Or if they are humanitarian migrants (refugees).

The fact that the current UK government does not seem to take the same view is something you're free to take up with your MP, or better still, express your feeling on at the general election later this year.

Jeremy
Dear Jeremy

Rest assured that I will be voting in 2 ways, with my electoral vote and with my feet.

At 39 I have paid an obscene amount fo Tax in the UK, most of it on income tax & Stamp Duty on property, and now there is a rumour that Mr Brown would consider 40% tax on profit from your primary residence.

Combine this with the fact that the last time we had any form of control of our borders was World War 2 and you get a taste of disillusioned Britain. Even bigger problem, don't see anyone capable of stepping up to the line

Thanks for the advice

HB
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:07 pm
Tony Bryer

In article <[email protected]> ,
Heswallboy wrote:
    > At 39 I have paid an obscene amount fo Tax in the UK, most of
    > it on income tax & Stamp Duty on property,

What makes you think that Australian income tax and stamp duty
are lower? Top rate income tax is 47% and stamp duty on a
mid-price 2-bed flat in Melbourne (A$400K) is fractionally
under 5% according to the site I checked. Petrol is cheap
though.

--
Tony Bryer UK

Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:12 am
wax on wax off

Wink Re: Retirement & Chronic illness - will it hold back a hero?

Originally Posted by Tony Bryer
Heswallboy wrote:
    > At 39 I have paid an obscene amount fo Tax in the UK, most of
    > it on income tax & Stamp Duty on property,

What makes you think that Australian income tax and stamp duty
are lower? Top rate income tax is 47% and stamp duty on a
mid-price 2-bed flat in Melbourne (A$400K) is fractionally
under 5% according to the site I checked. Petrol is cheap
though.

--
Tony Bryer UK

Point taken Tony

However I don't think moving to Aus is about favourable tax breaks or World Class public transport systems (LOL).

Whilst it will be the tabloid Tory journalism, the thought of 40% tax on house profit angers me(and I am sure many others) as it is the only place that I have put money and saved and could mean in excess of £200k ($500Au). Not something that would please most people.

All the governments preach about encouraging savings and removing the alarming household debts, yet the first benefit question "do you have savings of over £8000, yes, then you can forget these benefits" seems like they give mixed messages.

Anyway, turning into a political thread and should be focusing on the positives of a life abroad. And besides, unless I re marry I am not going to have the privelidge of paying the 47% in Aus
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:16 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been discussing this 40% on primary residence on AdBrits and generally the consensus is that Brown would be mad to bring this in with a general election round the corner.

So on a purely selfish note, they may decide to bring it in next year but hopefully we'll be long gone!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:19 am
wax on wax off

Talking Re: Retirement & Chronic illness - will it hold back a hero?

Originally Posted by bridiej
We've been discussing this 40% on primary residence on AdBrits and generally the consensus is that Brown would be mad to bring this in with a general election round the corner.

So on a purely selfish note, they may decide to bring it in next year but hopefully we'll be long gone!
I'lle drink to that !!

(provided the price doesn't go up to much in April)

HB
Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:04 pm
Tony Bryer

Heswallboy wrote:
    > Whilst it will be the tabloid Tory journalism, the thought
    > of 40% tax on house profit angers me(and I am sure many
    > others)

The Daily Mail/MoS will print anything ahead of an election
that they think will help their cause (not that it worked in
1997 or 2001) - and a bit of idle speculation dressed up as
'news' has obviously had that effect on you. If you asked
someone who actually understood economics to write a paper on
what the effects of imposing CGT would be the conclusion would
also certainly be that there would be winners (those trying to
get on the housing; those whose taxes could be cut/not
increased as a result of the income from this tax) and losers
(all those of us who own property). Someone who understood
politics (as Gordon does) would note that the losers would turn
against you whilst the winners would just take the benefits and
probably not change their political allegiances.

Most people can see that the rise in house prices has given HMG
a nice lot of extra money from stamp duty and inheritance tax,
also CGT on second homes and killing the housing market would
therefore be less than sensible. As someone said years ago "the
art of taxation is to be able to extract the maximum number of
feathers from the goose with the minimum of hissing".

--
Tony Bryer UK

Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Hi all

My parents are considering half the year in the UK and half in our garden shed in Australia (I think that is allowed). The 6 month thing not the shed thing. We might stretch to a grannie annex!
Would your wife be happy with getting half the year with her parents?
Tara
Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:56 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

My father would also like to come over on a parent visa, he is kinda sick but I would like to talk to someone who knows rthe full ins and outs of what is and isn't sick in the Australian governments eyes.

Can anyone reccomend anyone who I could talk to or email with the full details of what is wrong with my dad who might be able to give me a definate yes or no?

Cheers
Kala
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JayDeee
My father would also like to come over on a parent visa, he is kinda sick but I would like to talk to someone who knows rthe full ins and outs of what is and isn't sick in the Australian governments eyes.

Can anyone reccomend anyone who I could talk to or email with the full details of what is wrong with my dad who might be able to give me a definate yes or no?

Cheers
Kala
I would recommend Go Matilda, they have been really helpful giving us advice. Tara
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:31 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ali south
I would recommend Go Matilda, they have been really helpful giving us advice. Tara

Cheers Tara
Kala

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.