Resident looking for citizenship info..

Old Nov 21st 2018, 7:33 am
Just Joined

toecutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resident looking for citizenship info..

Hi to all,
Im a perm resident in australia now for 4 years, i migrated from the uk with a de facto visa sponsorship, and i havent left the country for 4 years. Apparently i am able to apply for citizenship as i wish to return to the uk to live but retain the possibility of returning hassle free in a few years time, thus citizenship is required.
Who can guide/ advise on this, i have citizenship papers ready, but i dont want to blow cash if its not possible as yet. Returning home without citizenship isnt really a option, as i have sacrificed years and 1000s on my visa, and sacrificed a very good career uk side for a life in oz which comes up very short in just about every angle, every aspect , and i have decided to return to the uk asap, and split with my partner who sponsored me.
Even if i can apply for citizenship knowing i have to just do the ceremony, return for the ceremony (its about 1 years wait i believe) then return to the uk thats an option instead of dragging it out here in oz waiting for a piece of paper for another year.
Any heads up much appreciated
Jason

Last edited by toecutter; Nov 21st 2018 at 7:45 am. Reason: Extra info
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident looking for citizenship info..

Originally Posted by toecutter
Hi to all,
Im a perm resident in australia now for 4 years, i migrated from the uk with a de facto visa sponsorship, and i havent left the country for 4 years. Apparently i am able to apply for citizenship as i wish to return to the uk to live but retain the possibility of returning hassle free in a few years time, thus citizenship is required.
Who can guide/ advise on this, i have citizenship papers ready, but i dont want to blow cash if its not possible as yet. Returning home without citizenship isnt really a option, as i have sacrificed years and 1000s on my visa, and sacrificed a very good career uk side for a life in oz which comes up very short in just about every angle, every aspect , and i have decided to return to the uk asap, and split with my partner who sponsored me.
Even if i can apply for citizenship knowing i have to just do the ceremony, return for the ceremony (its about 1 years wait i believe) then return to the uk thats an option instead of dragging it out here in oz waiting for a piece of paper for another year.
Any heads up much appreciated
Jason
www.citizenship.gov.au has a calculator that will tell you if you are eligible. Then you apply, submit the documents, wait for a date for the test, pass the test, wait for the ceremony. Then you will become a citizen.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can request to do your test and ceremony in London.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can request to do your test and ceremony in London.
Would they not want a good reason why he was "temporarily" absent from Australia? I thought that you needed a close and continuing relationship with the country to get citizenship and splitting with your partner and moving back to the UK doesn't sound like one.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 11:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Would they not want a good reason why he was "temporarily" absent from Australia? I thought that you needed a close and continuing relationship with the country to get citizenship and splitting with your partner and moving back to the UK doesn't sound like one.
In theory, yes, in practice, not so much.