Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

Old May 16th 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

nirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nicenirrade is just really nice
Question Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

Dear All,

I hope this finds everyone well that reads this thread.

My question is about the Remaining Relative Visa (offshore subclass 115). I am in the process of applying for my Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175).Gaining this visa should not be a problem as i have enough points. However my question is my brother in law has asked if we could sponsor him and his family (Wife and two children ) to australia as it is something they have always wanted to do but do not have the points to apply.

Having read the Remaining Relative Visa i am wondering if My Brother in law Has to pass a points test? Also in the first section (about the visa) it says "

Who is this visa for?

This visa is for you if both of these apply:

you have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia
you and your spouse have no brothers, sisters, children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia.
Your spouse and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements. "

However later in the eligibility section it says that "Dependant children under the age of 18 years old can be included in the application"

So i am confused, or am I being stupid!?!
I read it as the children can be included in the application along with my brother in laws spouse. Any one agree with this?

Another question is how long after my Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175) is granted can i begin the process of sponsoring my brother in law and his family?

Any help or opinion on these matters would be gratefully recieved.

Regards to everyone,

Nirrade.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

No he wouldn't have to pass a points test and yes he can include children under 18.

However, he and his wife can only apply if, other than you and your wife if you have one (who will be in Oz when they apply), they both have no other immediate relatives who aren't in Oz. So no parents, no brothers or sisters, no adult children. This cuts out most siblings.

As to when you can sponsor them, most visas require you to be settled in Oz, which in turn usually requires two years residence. I don't know if this is the case for this visa, no doubt someone else will be able to advise.