refusing visas

Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

WESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud of
Default Re: refusing visas

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
I thought most these visas are rejected at the acknowlegment stage.

i.e if you apply for a skilled visa and don't have a skill ...then you'd be rejected before acknowledgment and a 6 month+ wait.

Maybe wrong about this one though.

TC
An invalid application is not too bad, at least you get your money back, eventually. If you want to know what percentage of skilled visa applications are refused why not email ASPC and ak? If they are not forthcoming try a Freedom of Information Request. I could tell you, but that would spoil your fun.

Have fun

Westly Russell
RMA 0316072
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WESTLY
An invalid application is not too bad, at least you get your money back, eventually. If you want to know what percentage of skilled visa applications are refused why not email ASPC and ak? If they are not forthcoming try a Freedom of Information Request. I could tell you, but that would spoil your fun.

Have fun

Westly Russell
RMA 0316072
I doubt many applications sent through MARA regsitered agents are refused.

Don't MARA agents have to provide a duty of care to their client, in that they shouldn't take on an application unless the applicant would have a good chance of a successful outcome.

I reckon most applications are refused due to a lack of evidence to substantiate the validity of the application.

TC
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

WESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud ofWESTLY has much to be proud of

I doubt many applications sent through MARA regsitered agents are refused.

Don't MARA agents have to provide a duty of care to their client, in that they shouldn't take on an application unless the applicant would have a good chance of a successful outcome.

I reckon most applications are refused due to a lack of evidence to substantiate the validity of the application.

TC
If you are willing to wager that unrepresented skilled visa applicants have a lower success rate that those represented by registered migration agents, let me know how much you are willing to lose.

Westly Russell
RMA 0316072
Old Aug 1st 2006, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WESTLY
If you are willing to wager that unrepresented skilled visa applicants have a lower success rate that those represented by registered migration agents, let me know how much you are willing to lose.

Westly Russell
RMA 0316072

then please enlighten us why wouldn't using an agent be more beneficial.

unless they purposely screw up an application
Old Aug 1st 2006, 3:29 am
The Analog Kid

sa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond repute

Good point TC
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RegisteredAgent
On average Dima reject 4 out of 5 visas. This is based on international figures and was discussed at the CPD conference I attended in Italy in July. There are over 1 million applications for skilled visas to DIMA each year, and only 250 000 are granted each year. Now these arent concrete figures, just something I remember from my discussions with the group. You can download statistics from DIMAs website
Don't know what the CPD conference in Italy is, or what it has to do with migration to Australia, but the figures given there are very inaccurate. Perhaps instead of quoting Lorenzo Boccabela, you could try reading something from Australia.
This is taken directly from Australian Parliamentary website:
Today, the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMA) allocates around 130 000 to 140 000 migration places each year—the highest level in twenty years—with a firm focus on bringing in migrants with the relevant skills to complement Australia’s labour market needs and skill shortages. In 2005-06, 97 500 places have been allocated for skilled migration, the largest number ever allocated.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:02 am
Banned

RegisteredAgent is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dotnron
Don't know what the CPD conference in Italy is, or what it has to do with migration to Australia, but the figures given there are very inaccurate. Perhaps instead of quoting Lorenzo Boccabela, you could try reading something from Australia.
This is taken directly from Australian Parliamentary website:
Today, the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMA) allocates around 130 000 to 140 000 migration places each year—the highest level in twenty years—with a firm focus on bringing in migrants with the relevant skills to complement Australia’s labour market needs and skill shortages. In 2005-06, 97 500 places have been allocated for skilled migration, the largest number ever allocated.
The CPD conference is a conference in which all registered migration agents have to attend each year in order to maintain their registration. That article is simply about the number of visas available, not the number of visas granted or applied for. Lorenzo Boccabella is Australia's leading immigration barrister, who has represented one of the largest proportion of migrants in both Australia's Federal Court, & High Court.

Now before we all start panicking...

I am talking about the total number of visas rejected in Australia per year. I am not talking soley about skills applications etc. Like I said, this was in a conversation between myself and about 8 other registered agents. I have no concrete evidence on this, I am simply repeating what was said to me.

If you want to maximise your chances then either use a registered agent or read below;

If you lodge your visa application ONSHORE and it is rejected you gain MRT rights and you can appeal. If the MRT reject your case you can then apply for ministerial discretion. The minister must answer ALL cases put forward to him or her.

If you lodge offshore you do not get MRT rights. Therefore it is always better in questionable cases to lodge your application onshore.

Ryan Kroonenburg
RMA #0531502
http://www.askamigrationagent.com
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

A registered migration agent will not intentionally screw up an application; you can safely leave that up to ASPC.

The current skilled visa refusal rate is less than 10 percent.

Visa applicants who are not native English speakers are more likely to engage the services of an agent than, say, UK applicants who have DIMA's Anglo bias operating in their favour. There is massive bias, some of it legislated, that acts to the detriment of applicants from poor countries, particularly poor Asian countries.

Applicants who have the best prospects of success are the ones who are most likely to represent themselves.

To be truly enlightened find out what difference professional representation makes in your neck of the woods.

Westly Russell
RMA 0316072
Old Aug 1st 2006, 8:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The CPD conference is a conference in which all registered migration agents have to attend each year in order to maintain their registration. That article is simply about the number of visas available, not the number of visas granted or applied for.
Usually the two are about the same (if you count number of visa applicants).

If you lodge your visa application ONSHORE and it is rejected you gain MRT rights and you can appeal. If the MRT reject your case you can then apply for ministerial discretion. The minister must answer ALL cases put forward to him or her.
usually the minister answers with a no (unless there are special circumstances such as the interests of an Australian citizen child)

If you lodge offshore you do not get MRT rights. Therefore it is always better in questionable cases to lodge your application onshore.

Ryan Kroonenburg
RMA #0531502
http://www.askamigrationagent.com

Family sponsored (including skilled sponsored) and employer sponsored applicants get MRT rights through the sponsor.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 10:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=RegisteredAgent] That article is simply about the number of visas available, not the number of visas granted or applied for.
So, explain then for us how if there are 97,500 skilled visas available 250,000 are granted each year?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:28 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

On average Dima reject 4 out of 5 visas. This is based on international figures and was discussed at the CPD conference I attended in Italy in July. There are over 1 million applications for skilled visas to DIMA each year, and only 250 000 are granted each year. Now these arent concrete figures, just something I remember from my discussions with the group. You can download statistics from DIMAs website
Dear RA,

I think the correct figures for General Skilled Migration applications are that the approval rate is closer to 90%, noticeably higher for those using agents. Refusal rates aren't published but an idea of processing numbers can be found here: http://www.immi.gov.au/about/reports...manitarian.htm

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Question Re: refusing visas

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear RA,

I think the correct figures for General Skilled Migration applications are that the approval rate is closer to 90%, noticeably higher for those using agents. Refusal rates aren't published but an idea of processing numbers can be found here: http://www.immi.gov.au/about/reports...manitarian.htm

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks George,

Regarding Westly's point: "To be truly enlightened find out what difference professional representation makes in your neck of the woods".

Would you have any comment about this? (Possibly from case you've taken from 'high-risk countries)

For what its worth...although from a we're from a high risk country we used an agent based in the UK who deals predominatly with British application,...and we found no obstacles.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:09 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks George,

Regarding Westly's point: "To be truly enlightened find out what difference professional representation makes in your neck of the woods".

Would you have any comment about this? (Possibly from case you've taken from 'high-risk countries)

For what its worth...although from a we're from a high risk country we used an agent based in the UK who deals predominatly with British application,...and we found no obstacles.

I too wondered about this statement. Im glad we have used an agent and await with interest with regards to when we will get our visa and whether or not the hoops through which we have to jump, will be higher because of my husband being from a high risk country.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:29 am
Banned

RegisteredAgent is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear RA,

Cheers,

George Lombard
Many thanks George. My apologies to any one who was scared by my initial figures. Does look like they were way out. But like I said I was just quoting a conversation, and had nothing to back them up with.