Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Recruiters are telling me it's bad for IT work.

Recruiters are telling me it's bad for IT work.

Old Mar 7th 2002, 12:35 am
Robert Nicholso

Default Recruiters are telling me it's bad for IT work.

Is that true... specifically what's the demand for Java programmers in Melbourne
like currently. I've seen roles that I know agents would put me forward for but they
said that things have changed recently and things aren't likely to get better for
quite a while.

Old Mar 7th 2002, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recruiters are telling me it's bad for IT work.

I tend to agree with that assesment
Old Mar 7th 2002, 4:35 am
Paul

They're not pulling your leg mate. If you're handy with J2EE then you may be OK, but
they won't look at you unless you're here. Don't expect top dollar either. They tend
to ask for things like. "You will have strong commercial experience with JAVA,
J2EE/EJB, CORBA, XML, and UML technologies. You will also have solid working
knowledge of UNIX and NT platforms. ..."

"Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Is that true... specifically what's the demand for Java programmers in Melbourne
    > like currently. I've seen roles that I know agents would put me forward for but
    > they said that things have changed recently and things aren't likely to get better
    > for quite a while.

Old Mar 7th 2002, 5:08 am
Tim S

At least Robert's got previous IT experience. But at least you're not those applying
for the Oz PR (overseas student studying here). It's absolute murder for those in
that situation.

I agree with Paul. You got to be in this country first to establish that personal
contact, unless you're some kind of very rare talent.

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:04:25 +1100, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

>They're not pulling your leg mate. If you're handy with J2EE then you may be OK, but
    >they won't look at you unless you're here. Don't expect top dollar either. They tend
    >to ask for things like. "You will have strong commercial experience with JAVA,
    >J2EE/EJB, CORBA, XML, and UML technologies. You will also have solid working
    >knowledge of UNIX and NT platforms. ..."

I'm surprised they haven't added: "You will have created a robust proprietary
commercial operating system and network protocols used by a worldwide organization,
in six months."

Or how about this one I saw somewhere:

"Extensive experience in Windows 2000/XP, 2 yrs+"

(I didn't know time travel was possible, it violates General Relativity to see Win
XP in 2000.)

Old Mar 7th 2002, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Wannastay is an unknown quantity at this point

trust me - I AM a recruiter, working in IT, in Melbourne - and I am british.

marketplace is screwed - would advise looking for a job in a different market. the noises being made by my clients indicate a pickup towards Q3 (of any great notice) - but wouldnt hold my breath.
Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:05 am
Robert Nicholso

Also, looking at Jobnet recently reveals Melbourne offering more Java jobs that
Sydney also. To what can that be attributed to?

[email protected] (Robert Nicholson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Is that true... specifically what's the demand for Java programmers in Melbourne
    > like currently. I've seen roles that I know agents would put me forward for but
    > they said that things have changed recently and things aren't likely to get better
    > for quite a while.

Old Mar 7th 2002, 10:35 am
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Wannastay
trust me - I AM a recruiter, working in IT, in Melbourne - and I am british.

marketplace is screwed - would advise looking for a job in a different market. the noises being made by my clients indicate a pickup towards Q3 (of any great notice) - but wouldnt hold my breath.
So IT opportunities are bad - I think that's clear - But what's good? One thing all IT applicants can do whilst they wait is consider other markets - I was thinking of TEFL... But very little news on whether ANY job market is prospering 'Down under'
Old Mar 7th 2002, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Wannastay is an unknown quantity at this point

robert - one thing that surprised me about down here when i came is that companies will carry on advertising vacancies even when they are a) about to go bust or b) having really hard times - reason is to make them look a "safe bet" for THEIR clients.

also, with hundreds of UK recruiters down here, the "phantom jobs" are prevalent !

not all doom and gloom though. if you are pessistent, there are jobs to be found.
Old Mar 8th 2002, 10:05 am
Angela

Two months ago, I decided to move to Melbourne. I am in IT and aware that the
market is bad. I have researched the companies I want to work for, contacted them
directly, bypassing the agencies. The response has been tremendous. I wrote to 5
companies and so far,I have 3 interviews lined up when I arrive at the end of the
month. Yes, the market is bad, but like Wannastay wrote, if you are persistent,
there are jobs to be found.

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Mar 8th 2002, 2:08 pm
Augusto

I am a undergraduate computer engineer from Brazil, and I am trying to apply to a
postgraduate course in Sydney, starting next July. My plans are to immigrate to
Australia 2 years from now, and I am thinking that taking a postgraduate course in
Sydney now would make my chances of getting a job better when I immigrate. I have 2
years work experience in Java, ASP, Perl, Oracle, and Access.

I am reading such messages about how bad the IT job market is, and I am getting
scared. Would you think that I would have a chance of getting an IT job when I finish
my postgraduate course?! Would you recommend that I do not go for it?

Old Mar 14th 2002, 6:05 pm
Claudio Falcao

Hi Augusto,

I am also applying from Brazil, sent papers in Sept 11th 2001 and got a call for
medicals in 1st week January 2002 (pretty fast huh?).

If I were you I wouldn't bet my dollars on such a strategy. As long as I know, there
is plenty of people with grad & post-grad courses in Oz with little job experience
but the job seekers are not interest in them. As told by a friend who lives in Oz
with IT, most recent graduates in Oz work for just a couple of years in land, and as
soon as they get exp they quit to Europe for better wages. Hence Oz is on desperate
need for IT workers which have over 4 years exp.

You state you have over 2 years of exp. If I were you I would to Oz with a
reasonable amount of cash to hold still at least 6 months and try getting a job in
your field. Don't settle in any city when you arrive. Check to see if you find
opportunities on your area at Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. Then stop at the place
it most suits you.

I used a similar strategy, I am going without any job offer, leaving a very fine job
in Brazil (Sr Business analyst at Bradesco Seguros), and with funds to hold for over
a year. The difference is that I HAVE to go to Sydney 'cause my wife wants to take a
course of History in Architecture which exists only at Sydney University.

As far as I know, things in Oz are much different then they are in Brazil, at least
concerning to jobs. Overhere we tend to exceed the benefits of an University degree,
mainly because we have so many constrasts in our fundamental education that a
University degree most of the time is the only guarantee of a fine education. In Oz,
fundamental education is much better than it is in Brazil so hopefuly things are
different.

If you feel you need further education to get a job in Oz, try taking a technical
course while working (MSCD or another one). Job exp. is the key.

Cheers,

Claudio

[email protected] (Augusto) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > I am a undergraduate computer engineer from Brazil, and I am trying to apply to a
    > postgraduate course in Sydney, starting next July. My plans are to immigrate to
    > Australia 2 years from now, and I am thinking that taking a postgraduate course in
    > Sydney now would make my chances of getting a job better when I immigrate. I have 2
    > years work experience in Java, ASP, Perl, Oracle, and Access.
    >
    > I am reading such messages about how bad the IT job market is, and I am getting
    > scared. Would you think that I would have a chance of getting an IT job when I
    > finish my postgraduate course?! Would you recommend that I do not go for it?

Old Mar 15th 2002, 5:45 am
Just Joined

simorgan is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and myself moved to Brisbane from Manchester last year and had to then move to Sydney to find work. I was working as a team leader in a technology dept. in England with a very safe career, and my wife had a good nursing job also.
To date, we're still in Sydney and I'm still unemployed after checking 4 times daily all the job sites, contacting recruitment agencies and contacting employers directly. I've been to so many interviews but there are so many tech people unemployed here your faced against massive odds.
My wife has been working as a nurse from day 1, but she's earning half what she was in Enlgand and let's not fool about, Sydney is a very expensive place to live.
Think carefully before you move, as we've lost a huge amount of capital and may need to return to England as the job market is so flat here.

Good luck.
Old Mar 15th 2002, 2:36 pm
Chris

"simorgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My wife and myself moved to Brisbane from Manchester last year and had to then
    > move to Sydney to find work. I was working as a team leader in a technology dept.
    > in England with a very safe career, and my wife had a good nursing job also. To
    > date, we're still in Sydney and I'm still unemployed after checking 4 times daily
    > all the job sites, contacting recruitment agencies and contacting employers
    > directly. I've been to so many interviews but there are so many tech people
    > unemployed here your faced against massive odds. My wife has been working as a
    > nurse from day 1, but she's earning half what she was in Enlgand and let's not
    > fool about, Sydney is a very expensive place to live. Think carefully before you
    > move, as we've lost a huge amount of capital and may need to return to England as
    > the job market is so flat here.

Yes, the job market is indeed flat. I've read that the % of people who gain
employment in IT though the newspaper & recruiter jobs account for about 8%... 13%
for online jobs, and something like 32% for cold calling and turning up at doorsteps.
Maybe a change of tact? The problem with being unemployed in Sydney is that it's a
lot harder to make ends meet. The catch is though, there are more opportunities to
catch a hold of. Good luck with it!

Chris

>
    > Good luck.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > jamie sim
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com