Recognition of Prior Learning

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

delama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recognition of Prior Learning

Hi All,

Anyone know much about RPL on the ACS assessment?
My husband doesn't have a degree, so is going for RPL, but I've just read the below on the ACS website:
"If you hold a non-IT degree/diploma but have extensive experience in IT, please select the Recognition of Prior Learning link. "

My husband doesn't hold any degree. Does this mean he won't qualify??
Oh god, please don't say this is the case, as we've no other way to get there!!!!!!

M
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mandi-C will become famous soon enoughMandi-C will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Recognition of Prior Learning

Hi M, he doesn't need a degree, but he'll need to complete the RPL. Its a minefield, so its worth checking on this site and RPL.com, for posts that have queried the same thing. You should also be able to find guidance on how things should be done.
Just be prepared for loads of work!!!!
We started 12 months ago, gave up for a while and are going back to it again!!!

Good luck
Mandi
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

delama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mandi,

Thanks a million for that!
I better get hubbie moving on the forms!!!
Are you using an agent?

M
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:52 pm
Respect My Authority!

Zoran is an unknown quantity at this point

This is how it goes:
University degree + 4+ years experience
AQF diploma (MCSE is valid one) + 6+ years experience http://www.aqf.edu.au/dips.htm
No diploma + 8+ years experience

He needs to fill out RPL form and write 2 project reports. It is explained under RPL link.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

EandE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi delema,

Just one more note to explain the difference between the replies mandi-c and zoran: It is not that easy to prove experience years in the RPL procedure: ACS is very strict on these things.

There are some good agents that are specialized in these RPL procedures, but you can always decide to do it on your own. One of the most important things here is to make sure you have very good, precise, references from your husband's (previous) employers.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 3:06 pm
Respect My Authority!

Zoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with 2e, it is far from being easy and simple.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:47 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delama
Hi All,

My husband doesn't have a degree, so is going for RPL, but I've just read the below on the ACS website:
"If you hold a non-IT degree/diploma but have extensive experience in IT, please select the Recognition of Prior Learning link. "

Oh god, please don't say this is the case, as we've no other way to get there!!!!!!
The RPL is meant for people with lots of IT experience but with no IT qualifications.

If you want professional assistance on the preparation of the RPL, I'd suggest that you contact an agent with experience in helping clients with RPL. Not every agent is able to do so.

Peter
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Mandi-C will become famous soon enoughMandi-C will become famous soon enough

Hi Mandi,

Thanks a million for that!
I better get hubbie moving on the forms!!!
Are you using an agent?

M
Hi, Delamare,
We're not using an agent at the mo, but I think Glenn Newton at Go Maltilda knows his stuff.
Good luck

Mandi
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

dexonsbabe is an unknown quantity at this point

1st of all I would like to wish everyone who is going thorough the RPL route good luck...........my partner and I are thinking of making a new life for ourselves over in oz in a couple of years, so we have a while to get everything sorted but like you my partner will have to do the RPL he has worked in IT for the last 10 years or so and it is very frightening the thought that he wont get his skills assessment just because he cant prove he knows his job..........added to that as we arent married we have to go thorough the de facto spouse bit as well which I understand can take some proving. Looks like we may need the 2 years to get all this sorted out.

Again good luck to everyone at whatever stage you are at and may the future be brighter and warmer.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 6:48 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

M
Hi M,

The RPL can be a difficult process - most migration agents offer support without having any IT expertise, something which has always struck me as illogical since you're preparing a document - to show how he has attained academic standards in IT - for an IT professional assessor and in fact one who's an academic and knows very well what the content of higher education studies in IT ought to be.

Anyway, I think this is probably a decision for your husband, you'll just have to motivate him :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard