Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Really confused with all this visa stuff-can you shine a light please!!!

Really confused with all this visa stuff-can you shine a light please!!!

Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:00 am
Just Joined

sv2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Really confused with all this visa stuff-can you shine a light please!!!

Hi i could really do with some help and advice. Im currently over in Australia, working in Sydney on a working holiday visa. Absolutely love it over here but unfortunately i had to return back to the uk for a while as my grand father passed. Because of this i ran our of time to sort my 2nd year WHV. My current WHV runs out middle of Feb.

• I am been working towards applying for skilled migration visa but I know that it takes some time to get granted and that It should be applied for offshore as I havent studied over here. Is that correct??

• I have enough points and I have already got my degree qualifications assessed. Is there anyway a bridging visa can be granted once my WHV runs out in February if i get this visa application in now?

• Another option is that my Brasilian girlfriend who I have been going out with and live with since I got here 10 months, has been granted a student visa so is there anyway that if we got married then I could stay on that??? I know that it would mean only being allowed to work 20 hours

Would really appreciate any help, advice or direction on what my options are. Thank you.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:13 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really confused with all this visa stuff-can you shine a light please!!!

Originally Posted by sv2001
Hi i could really do with some help and advice. Im currently over in Australia, working in Sydney on a working holiday visa. Absolutely love it over here but unfortunately i had to return back to the uk for a while as my grand father passed. Because of this i ran our of time to sort my 2nd year WHV. My current WHV runs out middle of Feb.

• I am been working towards applying for skilled migration visa but I know that it takes some time to get granted and that It should be applied for offshore as I havent studied over here. Is that correct??

• I have enough points and I have already got my degree qualifications assessed. Is there anyway a bridging visa can be granted once my WHV runs out in February if i get this visa application in now?

• Another option is that my Brasilian girlfriend who I have been going out with and live with since I got here 10 months, has been granted a student visa so is there anyway that if we got married then I could stay on that??? I know that it would mean only being allowed to work 20 hours

Would really appreciate any help, advice or direction on what my options are. Thank you.
skilled independent visas can be on-shore and off-shore, and it makes no difference where you are at when you apply, it only tells you where you have to be when the visa decision is about to be made. You can apply for an on-shore kind only if you hold a qualifying visa - and I am not sure if WHV qualifies, so if you go this route you may be left with no option but to leave when it expires - if you come back that is. If you have a willing employer, they could sponsor you for a temporary work visa (457) for you to stay there until your PR is granted, as one of the options.

If you meet the criteria for the PR, you can apply now to get at the back of the (very very very) long queue. Just make sure that you have proof of 12 months work in an occupation that is on the SOL, 20+ hours per week in the last two years - UK passport meets English language ability, you already have your skills assessed and you are under 45 judging by you being on the WHV. Check out the other criteria on the immi site and apply now if everything is in order.

Cant' help with the spouse visa route, sorry.