Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Range of Questions that I would like answered re: OZ

Range of Questions that I would like answered re: OZ

Old Mar 8th 2002, 12:05 pm
Natnz

Default Range of Questions that I would like answered re: OZ

A few wildfire questions I would love answered by Australians :

1. Are electrical plug sockets & plugs the same as NZ plugs, as I want to bring
over a TV, video, DVD player, computer in my shift to Qld - or can I just buy
an adapter?

2. Is Kangaroo Point a safe nice area to live in brisbane? Does anyone know which
suburb I can compare KPoint with in Auckland?

3. How much is satelite/Cable TV in Australia? ie. per month?

4. With Telephone and Electricity accounts - if I am living in Oz for the first time
- with no credit history in Oz - do you have to pay some sort of Bond to the Power
and Phone companies before you start accounts with them? If so - how much? What is
the standard Monthly phone line rental in Oz?

5. Cell phones......Ive got one - if I want to bring it to Oz - can I get something
changed to it so I can join a provider in Oz?

I wonder if some *kind* sole would love to gather all the junk mail that comes in
their mail box and post it to me in Auckland - I will refund postage. i would like
Supermarket circulars, funiture, Target & KMart pamphletes etc...anything! Just to
give me an idea of the average cost of things. Email me [email protected] for my
postal address.

thanks N

Old Mar 8th 2002, 10:36 pm
Helena

Default Re: Range of Questions that I would like answered re: OZ

"NatNZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > A few wildfire questions I would love answered by Australians :
    >
    > 1. Are electrical plug sockets & plugs the same as NZ plugs, as I want to bring
    > over a TV, video, DVD player, computer in my shift to Qld - or can I just buy an
    > adapter?

I'm almost positive we have the same plugs - ours are two flat prongs, sort of in an
inverted "V" formation, with a vertical flat ground:

/ \
|

Not sure if that comes across too well.

> 2. Is Kangaroo Point a safe nice area to live in brisbane? Does anyone
know
    > which suburb I can compare KPoint with in Auckland?

I'm in Perth, maybe someone in Brissie can answer that.

> 3. How much is satelite/Cable TV in Australia? ie. per month?

We have Foxtel here in W.A. Depends on what packages you get and I think that might
differ across the country. www.foxtel.com.au for ideas. I think in the east they've
got some other cable service - Star something?

> 4. With Telephone and Electricity accounts - if I am living in Oz for the first
    > time - with no credit history in Oz - do you have to pay some sort
of
    > Bond to the Power and Phone companies before you start accounts with them? If so -
    > how much?

I would be surprised if they wanted a bond. They always want a connection fee every
time you change residences, no matter how long you've lived in the country for. If
you don't pay, they disconnect, regardless. It was $50 connection fee for our phone,
$25 for gas, $20-something for electricity.

> What is the standard Monthly phone line rental in Oz?

In Perth we pay $18 per month, and then each call is 17 cents (depends on your
provider).

> 5. Cell phones......Ive got one - if I want to bring it to Oz - can I get something
    > changed to it so I can join a provider in Oz?

Someone else will hopefully answer this one. I'm one of those people who only just
got a mobile last year, for emergency reasons only. Hate the things really. Too
expensive and intrusive. And those ring tones! Riding the train and hearing ten
different cutesy ring tones go off during my 11-minute commute, aarrgghh! All I want
to do is read my book in peace.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Mar 9th 2002, 10:35 am
Johnny Boy

Default Re: Range of Questions that I would like answered re: OZ

Hi Nat,

"NatNZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > A few wildfire questions I would love answered by Australians :
    >
    > 1. Are electrical plug sockets & plugs the same as NZ plugs, as I want to bring
    > over a TV, video, DVD player, computer in my shift to Qld - or can I just buy an
    > adapter?

Yes, electrical plugs / sockets are the same - you can even bring your landline phone
- you'll just have to buy the local phone lead (from Dick Smith's) as the jackpoint
socket is slightly different.
    >
    > 2. Is Kangaroo Point a safe nice area to live in brisbane? Does anyone
know
    > which suburb I can compare KPoint with in Auckland?

Kangaroo Point is a good suburb, very handy to the CBD. Anyway suburb in Brisbane is
better than Auckland.
    >
    > 3. How much is satelite/Cable TV in Australia? ie. per month?

Check www.foxtel.com.au for details. Foxtel is like NZ's Sky TV.
    >
    > 4. With Telephone and Electricity accounts - if I am living in Oz for the first
    > time - with no credit history in Oz - do you have to pay some sort
of
    > Bond to the Power and Phone companies before you start accounts with them? If so -
    > how much? What is the standard Monthly phone line rental in Oz?

There is a security deposit required by Energex (the power company) of $100.00 if
you're renting, or $50.00 if you own your own home. Can't remember if there is a
deposit required by Telstra (the main phone company). Phone charges in Australia
comprise of a low monthly line rental plus a charge per (local) call of 15 cents (I
think). On average this works out about the same as what we were paying back in NZ.
    >
    > 5. Cell phones......Ive got one - if I want to bring it to Oz - can I get something
    > changed to it so I can join a provider in Oz?

You can, however checkout the various deals here - it maybe cheaper to sign up on a
new plan once you get to Oz.

>
    > I wonder if some *kind* sole would love to gather all the junk mail that comes in
    > their mail box and post it to me in Auckland - I will refund postage. i would like
    > Supermarket circulars, funiture, Target & KMart pamphletes etc...anything! Just to
    > give me an idea of the average cost of things. Email me [email protected] for my
    > postal address.

Groceries, furniture, appliances, petrol, and clothes generally all cheaper here
than in NZ. Houses, a hell of a lot cheaper than Auckland. Cars, not so - but
getting better.

HTH, John
    >
    > thanks N