Question regarding Australian Immigration

Old May 7th 2008, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

migratemi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question regarding Australian Immigration

Hello EveryOne,

I am planning to migrate to Australia under General Skilled Migration Program (Independent Subclass 175).

I am an Indian, with a Masters Degree in Computer Sciences from India
and with over 9 years of IT experience. I am presently working in
United States of America for more than 18 months now.

Below are my questions:
1. How long does for the entire process?
2. What is health and character check?
3. Do I need to take up IELTS test?
4. How is the IT Job Market in Australia currently and how does it look in future?
5. How long does it take to get job in IT sector in Australia?
6. What is the average cost of living in Australia like apartment, food, etc?
7. I am going to get married in Dec 2008, so if I start process now, do I need to apply separately for my wife after we get married?
8. If I come there under visa 175, can my wife work? Does she need to go throught the qualification assesment for her job?

I would highly appreciate if any one can answer the questions as it will help me take the decision.

Thank You
Old May 7th 2008, 11:25 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding Australian Immigration

1. This depends but usually between 6 and 12 months (but it can take longer if you are from a high-risk country or there are problems proving your work references or whatever. Every person is different.

2. Health check is a medical and chest x-ray to make sure you don't have any conditions that are detrimental to the Australian health system. Basically, as long as you don't have a condition that will cost the Aussie health system a lot of money to treat you should be ok.

Character check means you have to get police clearance certificates from every country you have lived in for more than 12 months in the last 10 years to show that your are not a serious criminal etc.

3. Unless you have a United Kingdom, Irish, US or Canadian Passport you will have to take the IELTS test. If you can score over 7 in every category you will get extra points.

4. No idea

5. No idea

6. Depends where you live.

7. Don't know

8. If you are both granted permanent residency you are both able to work. She will not need to do a qual assessment for her job unless you need extra points for the visa.
Old May 8th 2008, 1:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding Australian Immigration

4. The market is currently very good & I don't see any sign of that changing. What is your area of expertise?

5. If you have good skills, backed up by experience and perform well at interviews then you should be able to get a job quickly. Sometimes employers seem to be concerned specifically with Australian work experience, but to be honest it's hard for them to pick and choose at the moment. Personally, I think having experience from overseas is a good thing as in my experience in IT, Aussie project management and software development standards are somewhat lacking / non-existant!

6. Where do you live in the US?

7,8. Depending on how long you have been in a relationship with your prospective wife she may be able to be included on your application. Her skills would not need to be assessed and she would be able to work if your application was successful.