Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Question about renewing PR Visa / RRV (merged threads)

Question about renewing PR Visa / RRV (merged threads)

Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default RRV Question

I am about to renew my PR visa for another 5 years ( having lived in Oz for 2 of the last 5 years) and want to know if I apply for just one, and then my husbands visa is also renewed under mine, or whether we each have to apply for an RRV. I'm a little confused by the statement below I read on the immi website

'Family members

If you get a 1 year or 5 year RRV, your spouse and dependent children may also get an RRV with the same validity. '

Originally I was the main applicant.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RRV Question

Originally Posted by TandC23
I am about to renew my PR visa for another 5 years ( having lived in Oz for 2 of the last 5 years) and want to know if I apply for just one, and then my husbands visa is also renewed under mine, or whether we each have to apply for an RRV. I'm a little confused by the statement below I read on the immi website

'Family members

If you get a 1 year or 5 year RRV, your spouse and dependent children may also get an RRV with the same validity. '

Originally I was the main applicant.
Everyone has to apply for their own. You all have your own visas.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default Question about renewing PR Visa

Mine runs out in february - do I need to renew it before it expires?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about renewing PR Visa

No, your visa doesn't expire. Just the travel portion of it. If you don't ever want to apply for an RRV or citizenship you can still stay forever on the PR visa you're on. You just can't come back into Australia if you leave. For that you'll need either a RRV or citizenship.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:51 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Your PR visa doesn't expire - just the travel part. To be able to travel outside Australia you need to apply for a Residents Return Visa (RRV - http://www.immi.gov.au/Services/Page...plication.aspx ) or citizenship
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, your visa doesn't expire. Just the travel portion of it. If you don't ever want to apply for an RRV or citizenship you can still stay forever on the PR visa you're on. You just can't come back into Australia if you leave. For that you'll need either a RRV or citizenship.
Thank you for you reply Dorothy - I should have made it clear I am out of Australia at the moment in the UK. I am not planning on traveling back to oz any time soon, but would still like to keep my visa valid. So, do i need to apply for the RRV before this runs out?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for you reply Dorothy - I should have made it clear I am out of Australia at the moment in the UK. I am not planning on traveling back to oz any time soon, but would still like to keep my visa valid. So, do i need to apply for the RRV before this runs out?
No you don't have to. But personally, I would always keep a valid visa, you never know when the rules will change.

You all need one, your husband is not on your visa, you have your own visas.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No you don't have to. But personally, I would always keep a valid visa, you never know when the rules will change.

You all need one, your husband is not on your visa, you have your own visas.
Thanks for all your clear and concise answers once I got my question and location straight!
We'll get the renewal done sooner rather than later I think, as it was a hard earned document and as you say, it is likely to get harder to get one in the future.