Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help find my skill for immigration purposes?

Can anyone help find my skill for immigration purposes?

Old Jan 12th 2014, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

kim2ka2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone help find my skill for immigration purposes?

Hi

I'm new to this site but have been told this may be the best place to come for some assistance in moving to Australia.

This is the thing, my partner has family in Australia and they have their own business out there. a few weeks ago they asked us if we would like to move out there and help them expand their business.

I have been looking at different visa options and cant seem to find once which we would qualify for. Our family have offered to nominate us through the business and have offered us accommodation etc so there would be no scrounging of the Australian government it would be us going out there and working our backsides off to provide a better life for our family.

what i need is help finding the visa which suits us. we don't have degrees or diplomas but my partner has worked in management and i work for the police and have an HNC in e-commerce (which is part of the job i will be doing out there) i also have an apprenticeship in Business Administration and ECDL, i don't know if they will count for much.

Can anyone tell me any information which would help us on our possible journey?

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone help find my skill for immigration purposes?

Have you checked the skills lists for your occupations? Would you be working in the family business in your usual occupations? If not, I think the plan is a non starter.

Even if you will be in your usual occupations, you should expect your application to be under a lot of scrutiny from immigration and you should expect this to be hard.

Bringing family members in to help with a business is not a migration route that is looked well upon. The family would also need to show that they tried and were unable to recruit any Australians for these jobs and they would also ave to show that a % of their annual revenue is spent on providing training for Australian employees.

Personally, I do not feel hopeful for you. Have you looked into any other visa paths?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

kim2ka2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have looked at other paths but i seem to be getting more frustrated by it. we are in our early 30's so that rules out certain visa's can you suggest any other options which may be of use?
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kim2ka2
i have looked at other paths but i seem to be getting more frustrated by it. we are in our early 30's so that rules out certain visa's can you suggest any other options which may be of use?
Being in your 30s only rules out a working holiday visa, which would not be suitable anyway as it is a holiday visa, whereas it sounds like you would like something a bit more than that.

Did you read my last post? I may need to be blunter ... there is no visa designed for people to bring relatives in to work in their business. On the contrary, this would ring claxon bells with immigration.

To get anywhere with this path, your family members would need to get approval as a business sponsor and would need to prove that they could not find any Australians. The employer sponsored visas are the 457, the 186 and 187.

The other option you could look into is skilled migration, 189 and 190 visas.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

First, not every business can sponsor. There are criteria the company must meet.

Second, not every person can be sponsored. The occupation must be on either the SOL or CSOL lists.

My advice is that both you and the company need to speak to a registered migration agent.