Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Qualifications for a chemist in a state sponsored visa

Qualifications for a chemist in a state sponsored visa

Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Vaibhavi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualifications for a chemist in a state sponsored visa

Hello
I hold an honours in Chemistry and i am planning to get my degree assessed from VETASSESS​. The subjects that i studied in college are :
1. Inorganic Chemistry
2. Organic Chemistry
3. Physical Chemistry
4. Analytical method in chemical analysis
5. Biochemistry and Environmental Chemistry
6. Application of Computer in Chemistry
Please advice me as to whether the above mentioned subjects fulfil the VETASSESS criteria for the qualification of a chemist for a state sponsored visa.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications for a chemist in a state sponsored visa

Originally Posted by Vaibhavi
Hello
I hold an honours in Chemistry and i am planning to get my degree assessed from VETASSESS​. The subjects that i studied in college are :
1. Inorganic Chemistry
2. Organic Chemistry
3. Physical Chemistry
4. Analytical method in chemical analysis
5. Biochemistry and Environmental Chemistry
6. Application of Computer in Chemistry
Please advice me as to whether the above mentioned subjects fulfil the VETASSESS criteria for the qualification of a chemist for a state sponsored visa.
From the Vetassess site :

Chemist (ANZSCO Code 234211)

This occupation requires a qualification which is assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If the qualification(s) are not at the required educational level, or if the employment has been completed prior to the qualification, then the employment will be assessed below the required skill level.

A Chemist studies the chemical and physical properties of substances, and develops and monitors chemical processes and production (ANZSCO). Chemistry (or Chemical Sciences) is the study of the composition, structure, chemical reactions and transformations of matter (ASCED).

A major in Chemistry would include subjects such as analytical, physical, organic and inorganic chemistry with an additional focus on modern applications such as nanotechnology, analytical and environmental chemistry, polymer science and surface science.

Qualifications in Food Science or Food Technology do not usually have the breadth and depth of Chemistry-related subjects to be considered positive for this occupation. Applicants should consider the occupation of 234212 Food Technologist instead.

This occupation should not be confused with 251512 Industrial Pharmacist, who undertakes research, testing and analysis related to the development, production, storage, quality control and distribution of drugs and related supplies.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Vaibhavi is an unknown quantity at this point

The degree I hold is an equivalent to the science with a major in Chemistry. I have studied all the above subjects that you specified in my honours degree.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vaibhavi
The degree I hold is an equivalent to the science with a major in Chemistry. I have studied all the above subjects that you specified in my honours degree.
But do you have the required work experience?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

There's also the small matter of equivalency of the degree. Different universities in different parts of the world are rated/ranked/considered differently. Obviously, a degree from Cambridge or Oxford would be deem equivalent (for the most part) as any degree from say, Sydney or Melbourne - but that's not always the case with universities from say, India or China, for example.