QTS?

Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future
Default QTS?

I want to move my family out to australia. Am currently due to start a PGCE primary course in the UK in sep with a view to using this qualification to get to oz. My questions are these; do I have to complete the extra year in the UK to gain QTS or will my qualifications be recognised without that? Furthermore, I have 2 qualifications and 12 years experience on TESOL but as far as I can tell getting a visa and moving my family out there in my TESOL qualifications alone are zero. Am I right? Basically I want to know just how quickly can we move and are there any short cuts I should know about?!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

BroomeChick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: QTS?

Originally Posted by lisajhb
I want to move my family out to australia. Am currently due to start a PGCE primary course in the UK in sep with a view to using this qualification to get to oz. My questions are these; do I have to complete the extra year in the UK to gain QTS or will my qualifications be recognised without that? Furthermore, I have 2 qualifications and 12 years experience on TESOL but as far as I can tell getting a visa and moving my family out there in my TESOL qualifications alone are zero. Am I right? Basically I want to know just how quickly can we move and are there any short cuts I should know about?!
You need to have been teaching full time for at least 12 months before you can apply.
Check out the Teaching Australia site for help

http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BroomeChick
You need to have been teaching full time for at least 12 months before you can apply.
Check out the Teaching Australia site for help

http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go
Right, thats if you want to go out on a permanent skills assessed visa isnt it? I have heard of people going out on a skills matched visa. It seems that they avoided needing the minimum 12 months experience. Or am I talking out of my....?!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

Don't know about TESOL I'm afraid but after PGCE you definitely did not need NQT qual for skills assessment last year when I did it, but you may need 12 months post PGCE work experience for General Skilled Migration visa's basic work experience requirement. I had to read the General Skilled Migration booklet very carefully. It's on the DIAC website. Good Luck!!

PS. you are QTS at end of your PGCE, NQT after one year working if you submit a portfolio.

Last edited by Aquamarine; Apr 8th 2008 at 9:49 am.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aquamarine
Don't know about TESOL I'm afraid but after PGCE you definitely did not need NQT qual for skills assessment last year when I did it, but you may need 12 months post PGCE work experience for General Skilled Migration visa's basic work experience requirement. I had to read the General Skilled Migration booklet very carefully. It's on the DIAC website. Good Luck!!

PS. you are QTS at end of your PGCE, NQT after one year working if you submit a portfolio.

Right thnks. I have obviously got my acronyms wrong!And I will be sure to read the booklet again. But do you know of anyone who has entered as a teacher not on the general skilled migration points system?

Last edited by lisajhb; Apr 8th 2008 at 10:50 am.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

Right thnks. I have obviously got my acronyms wrong!And I will be sure to read the booklet again. But do you know of anyone who has entered as a teacher not on the general skilled migration points system?
No, sorry but you could bump this post or create a new thread with this question?