Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Q about police checks for 2nd stage partner visa

Q about police checks for 2nd stage partner visa

Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Wishfool is on a distinguished road
Default Q about police checks for 2nd stage partner visa

Hi
I am in Australia and am close to the 2year mark from being granted the first stage (temp) Partnership visa. I applied for this visa in UK in Feb 05 and have received the forms just this week from DIMIA to apply for PR (final stage).

After being granted the 1st stage in Feb 05, I stayed in England for another approx 4-5 months and moved to Australia in July 05.

I have sent off for the AFP clearance, but am a bit confused now about whether I need to have fresh UK police checks done as this is not clear from the instructions. They state that if I had returned back to UK for 8weeks or longer I may require new checks - but I have not left Aus since arriving in July 05.

Would i need them done again because I did not leave UK till a few months after being granted the visa, or would the first set of UK police checks for the first stage be sufficient.

Thanks for any advice, a clear answer would be great!

Also I wasnt sure if I can phone my Case officer directly and just ask? Any advice?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q about police checks for 2nd stage partner visa

Originally Posted by Wishfool
Hi
I am in Australia and am close to the 2year mark from being granted the first stage (temp) Partnership visa. I applied for this visa in UK in Feb 05 and have received the forms just this week from DIMIA to apply for PR (final stage).

After being granted the 1st stage in Feb 05, I stayed in England for another approx 4-5 months and moved to Australia in July 05.

I have sent off for the AFP clearance, but am a bit confused now about whether I need to have fresh UK police checks done as this is not clear from the instructions. They state that if I had returned back to UK for 8weeks or longer I may require new checks - but I have not left Aus since arriving in July 05.
To be on safe side, send off for a new UK police check now. Then you'll have it if it's asked for (it may not be).

Incidentally, the 2 year wait period begins when you *applied* for the temporary visa, not when it was granted.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Wishfool is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply JAJ, i guess you're right though I was hoping not to have to!
I will have to try and work out to organise this from Australia.
cheers
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wishfool
Thanks for the quick reply JAJ, i guess you're right though I was hoping not to have to!
I will have to try and work out to organise this from Australia.
cheers
Get in touch with the police HQ in the Force area where you last lived - if you aren't sure which Force covered you, drop me a pm and tell me where you lived! Most Forces now have contact details - and often the Data Protection forms themeselves - on their websites. They will post the police check back to you in Australia.