Pregnant and giving the birth in Australia

Old Dec 7th 2018, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Chrisszh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnant and giving the birth in Australia

Hi all! I’m an Australian citizen and my wife is holding a 600 visitor visa, we currently living overseas. she is now 20 weeks on her pregnancy, we decided to deliver our baby in Aus and head back to where we live after the deliever.

Would that be a problem passing the border if we head to Aus when she is 32 weeks of pregnancy? Because we did not know she was pregnant when she applied the visa, do we have to notify the visa center about change of circumstances?

thx!!
Old Dec 7th 2018, 12:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant and giving the birth in Australia

Most airlines will have a problem with flying that late into a pregnancy. Have you looked into that?
Old Dec 7th 2018, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Most airlines will have a problem with flying that late into a pregnancy. Have you looked into that?
Have checked with airline, not a problem with em...
Old Dec 7th 2018, 12:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisszh

What about medical costs - I don't think your wife would be covered under Medicare on a 600 visa? I don't think a private health insurer would cover her either.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 12:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Most airlines require a medical certificate if you’re flying after 28-32 weeks.

Immigration wise there’s no specific issue regarding being pregnant. You may be questioned as to your intentions to ensure she leaves before the expiration of her visa. Your wife is unlikely to be covered by Medicare so you should make private arrangements and have evidence of this to hand when you go through passport control.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 12:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife is unlikely to be able to find a private health care policy that would pay for her to give birth in Australia as a visitor, which means you/she would have to pay the total cost of the birth. Please also consider the implications of your wife or baby requiring hospital care after the birth, we never like to think of these things but we have to be prepared.
Maybe have a read of this, there are links to official sites at the bottom of the article https://www.pregnancybirthbaby.org.a...a-in-australia

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Dec 7th 2018 at 12:52 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Really? Most airlines require a medical certificate if you’re flying after 28-32 weeks.

Immigration wise there’s no specific issue regarding being pregnant. You may be questioned as to your intentions to ensure she leaves before the expiration of her visa. Your wife is unlikely to be covered by Medicare so you should make private arrangements and have evidence of this to hand when you go through passport control.
yup, double checked with airline, also medical certificate can be provided to the airline if needed...
u r right, the costs won’t b covered by Medicare, as long as the deliever cost is under 20k, it should be fine.
The reason we heading to oz in 32 weeks is after the delivery there would be still 20-30 days for her to recover.
We are just concerning if she would got stopped and returned by the custom, and do we have to notify the visa center about change of circumstances...
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What about medical costs - I don't think your wife would be covered under Medicare on a 600 visa? I don't think a private health insurer would cover her either.
thx for ur reply!
So far it’s alright on the financial part...
The only thing we worrying is can she pass the custom...
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:51 pm
Concierge

yup, double checked with airline, also medical certificate can be provided to the airline if needed...
u r right, the costs won’t b covered by Medicare, as long as the deliever cost is under 20k, it should be fine.
The reason we heading to oz in 32 weeks is after the delivery there would be still 20-30 days for her to recover.
We are just concerning if she would got stopped and returned by the custom, and do we have to notify the visa center about change of circumstances...
Sorry, but I'm just annoyed now! People on a visitor visa should be visiting, not popping over to have a baby. You're gambling that your wife will have an uneventful pregnancy, the birth will be uneventful, your baby will be healthy and both will be fit to fly home within 20-30 days. If you have $20,000 to spare why not have the baby in a private hospital in the country you live in?
Old Dec 7th 2018, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, but I'm just annoyed now! People on a visitor visa should be visiting, not popping over to have a baby. You're gambling that your wife will have an uneventful pregnancy, the birth will be uneventful, your baby will be healthy and both will be fit to fly home within 20-30 days. If you have $20,000 to spare why not have the baby in a private hospital in the country you live in?
thx for ur reply!
hmmmm, I understand what u talking about. We are not gambling anything, the main reason we both want to deliever the baby in oz is because we want to have a better medical treatment for both the mum and the baby. There is nothing to do with citizenship, even if my wife deliever the baby in the country where we live, the baby still is a citizen by decent of Australian.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 2:18 pm
Concierge

thx for ur reply!
hmmmm, I understand what u talking about. We are not gambling anything, the main reason we both want to deliever the baby in oz is because we want to have a better medical treatment for both the mum and the baby. There is nothing to do with citizenship, even if my wife deliever the baby in the country where we live, the baby still is a citizen by decent of Australian.
Yes, I understand and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. It's a bit of a 'thing' for me - after having two healthy babies my last child was born with a severe disability and had 7 major surgeries in the first year of her life. If I hadn't had full health cover, the cost would have been hundreds of thousands of dollars. I just wouldn't like to see anyone in that situation. Anyway, good luck to you, your wife and the bub.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I understand and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. It's a bit of a 'thing' for me - after having two healthy babies my last child was born with a severe disability and had 7 major surgeries in the first year of her life. If I hadn't had full health cover, the cost would have been hundreds of thousands of dollars. I just wouldn't like to see anyone in that situation. Anyway, good luck to you, your wife and the bub.
I feel so sorry for u.
By now everything is just under planning, before we go, we will definitely make sure both mum and the baby is healthy and is suitable have this trip.
btw, thx! Wish u the best!
Old Dec 7th 2018, 4:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget you will need to organise an Australian passport for the child before the flight.
Presumably your country allows dual citizenship and the child will not need a visa to travel there?
Old Dec 7th 2018, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't forget you will need to organise an Australian passport for the child before the flight.
Presumably your country allows dual citizenship and the child will not need a visa to travel there?
Yup, u r right!
Old Dec 7th 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yup, u r right!
Actually an Australian passport is less important than the passport of the country they will be returning to, presuming they are citizens. If not then they probably need to organise an Australian passport and the relevant visa. Not enough information to give any informed advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.