Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

PR visa 820/801 Terminally ill parent in UK

PR visa 820/801 Terminally ill parent in UK

Old Sep 22nd 2018, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question PR visa 820/801 Terminally ill parent in UK

Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone knows the procedure for this.

I'm currently on the temporary resident partner visa 820. I applied in March 2016 and therefore became eligible for the 801 in March this year (6 months ago) but so far haven't heard anything.

However, I have recently had the news that my Dad is terminally ill with cancer and has 6-9 months life expectancy from the doctors. Naturally, I want to spend some quality time with him over the coming months and possibly move back to England until the time comes.

Where does immigration stand on this? Obviously I would not be living with my partner for the period of time that I'm looking after my Dad - would that cause problems?

I have been on the 820 for 6 months longer than the required eligibility period of 2 years, so would they hurry it through as urgent/priority? Or would they put it on hold whilst I go to the UK? Or would it just stay in the pipeline and maybe get granted whilst I am away?

Any thought on this are much appreciated, thank you
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 12:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR visa 820/801 Terminally ill parent in UK

Originally Posted by red7
Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone knows the procedure for this.

I'm currently on the temporary resident partner visa 820. I applied in March 2016 and therefore became eligible for the 801 in March this year (6 months ago) but so far haven't heard anything.

However, I have recently had the news that my Dad is terminally ill with cancer and has 6-9 months life expectancy from the doctors. Naturally, I want to spend some quality time with him over the coming months and possibly move back to England until the time comes.

Where does immigration stand on this? Obviously I would not be living with my partner for the period of time that I'm looking after my Dad - would that cause problems?

I have been on the 820 for 6 months longer than the required eligibility period of 2 years, so would they hurry it through as urgent/priority? Or would they put it on hold whilst I go to the UK? Or would it just stay in the pipeline and maybe get granted whilst I am away?

Any thought on this are much appreciated, thank you
Firstly - and most importantly -you will not be contacted about the 801. Immigration no longer contact applicants, its just up to you to log into your Immiaccount and lodge the appropriate paperwork. They won't speed it up or make you a priority, you just need to sort the paperwork out asap.
If you do it before you leave you will not have explain being apart;you can just trave to the UK and a decision will be when the time comes, no matter where you are. The last I heard it could be another 19 months or more before a decision is made anyway.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: PR visa 820/801 Terminally ill parent in UK

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Firstly - and most importantly -you will not be contacted about the 801. Immigration no longer contact applicants, its just up to you to log into your Immiaccount and lodge the appropriate paperwork. They won't speed it up or make you a priority, you just need to sort the paperwork out asap.
If you do it before you leave you will not have explain being apart;you can just trave to the UK and a decision will be when the time comes, no matter where you are. The last I heard it could be another 19 months or more before a decision is made anyway.
Thanksfor the clarification, Pollyana. I have already submitted the additional paperwork, back in May. I just checked my application and it says processing time has gone up to 18-25 months! I understood that immigration would contact me if they require additional info or there's a problem. But I thought they might contact me again, if my application takes another 18 months or so, to ask for more recent paperwork (what if me and my partner break up in that time?) - is that not the case? Also, we have never had to go to an interview (I'm guessing because I'm from a low-risk country, with good health and no criminal record) - are they likely to request one before they grant the 801?
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 3:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by red7
Thanksfor the clarification, Pollyana. I have already submitted the additional paperwork, back in May. I just checked my application and it says processing time has gone up to 18-25 months! I understood that immigration would contact me if they require additional info or there's a problem. But I thought they might contact me again, if my application takes another 18 months or so, to ask for more recent paperwork (what if me and my partner break up in that time?) - is that not the case? Also, we have never had to go to an interview (I'm guessing because I'm from a low-risk country, with good health and no criminal record) - are they likely to request one before they grant the 801?
Very few UK applicants ever get interviewed.
Yes, if they want more paperwork they will contact you but they probably won't even look at the application for several months or a year. In the meantime you can add extra bits if you feel hey are relevant.
As for if you split up before PR is granted - one of the conditions of your 820 is that f the relationship ends, you must tell Immigration.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the clarification
Old Oct 13th 2018, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Wow, I can't quite believe it but I just got my PR Visa! I guess someone up there took pity on me!