Perth WA.....

Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

mash2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Perth WA.....

Hello Everyone,

We are looking to relocate to Perth WA from the UK in the next 12months or so as my our daughter would have graduated from University next year, brief history We had moved to Sydney in 2005 on a skilled PR visa, lived there for 5 years got citizenship had to come back to the UK been living and working in Essex for the last 10 years!

We returned to UK in 2010 because to spend time with my mum who was diagnosed with cancer. Sadly lost mum three years ago.

My wife and I are planning to return back to Australia this time we are thinking of moving to Perth but never visited Perth before.

I work as a medical engineer looking after imaging equipment MRi-CT, would be really helpful if we could be get some feedback about Perth:-

The current property market
Cost of living in Perth as opposed to Sydney
Ease of travel from Perth
Areas to live near to work and hospitals to work for, In sydney I have worked at The Prince of Wales in Randwick & Westmead Public hospital in Westmead Parramatta how they compare to Perth hospitals.
Perth Climate compared to Sydney

Does anyone have experience of working at the Fiona Staley hospital as this one of the places that has come up.

Thanks in advance...
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 12:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth WA.....

I can't speak for that particular hospital but my girlfriend works at a different hospital in Perth and she loves it. Money aside, she says the way they treat her and the working culture compared with the NHS are like night and day. They were very slow and a bit of a pain when it came to her initial onboarding process and local registration but she's only had positive things to say since then.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Perth WA.....

Sounds promising......
Old Feb 4th 2021, 10:09 am
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Hi there!
We used to live in Perth but this was back in 2001-2006. It was a nice City. We rented in Cottesloe area which was absoloutely beautiful and had a good train line to the city. We couldn't afford to buy there so moved futher North to Carine which was nice suburb (but for me lacked the character of Cottesloe). Again it had a good train link into the City at Warwick station. The trains are like a light reailway really and run frequently. I worked for a nursing agency (placing staff) and for nurses there was plenty of work with a range of private and state hospitals - there are a good amount of hospitals so hopefully plenty of choice in your area of work. The hospital names I remember are - Royal Perth Hospital, Joondalup Hospital, King Edward Childrens Hospital, Fremantle Hospital, St John of Gods Hospital (Subiaco and Murdoch) but there are more! Personally I found the climate quite harsh in Perth but preferred it to Sydney as Perth is a dry heat and Sydney could get more humid and hot. We had a breeze called the Fremantle Dr that would help cool things down. I always preferred Spring and Autumn there. The summers were often 35 plus degrees and I found it too hot to do anything - I struggled on the days over 40 degrees - so actually spend alot of summer indoors under the air conditioning! It was great being at the beach but I had two babies/ toddlers then and had to keep them well protected from the sun. The winter months could actually be quite wet too and got as low as 2-8 degrees. So we did have some plug in heaters during the winter. I have fond memories of living there. There's lots of ex pats and lots of things to do and explore. A great coastline and beautiful travelling down South.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 11:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mash2000
Hello Everyone,

We are looking to relocate to Perth WA from the UK in the next 12months or so as my our daughter would have graduated from University next year, brief history We had moved to Sydney in 2005 on a skilled PR visa, lived there for 5 years got citizenship had to come back to the UK been living and working in Essex for the last 10 years!

We returned to UK in 2010 because to spend time with my mum who was diagnosed with cancer. Sadly lost mum three years ago.

My wife and I are planning to return back to Australia this time we are thinking of moving to Perth but never visited Perth before.

I work as a medical engineer looking after imaging equipment MRi-CT, would be really helpful if we could be get some feedback about Perth:-

The current property market
Cost of living in Perth as opposed to Sydney
Ease of travel from Perth
Areas to live near to work and hospitals to work for, In sydney I have worked at The Prince of Wales in Randwick & Westmead Public hospital in Westmead Parramatta how they compare to Perth hospitals.
Perth Climate compared to Sydney

Does anyone have experience of working at the Fiona Staley hospital as this one of the places that has come up.

Thanks in advance...
No experience working in Fiona Stanley, but lots of experience as the parent of a young adult who's required quite a few long stay admissions. It's a very modern hospital, around 5 years old. Beautifully designed with lots of garden areas, including outdoor gardens on each floor. Also lots of nice places to eat, have coffee etc. It's a public hospital (as opposed to private).

Sharing a campus with Fiona Stanley is St John of God Murdoch private hospital. Lovely place to be a patient (well, as lovely as a hospital can be!), with on-call room service for every patient.

Lots of decent suburbs to live near Fiona Stanley - Murdoch, Leeming, Bull Creek. If you're wanting to pay a bit more and be near the Swan River, Applecross and Attadale to the north are lovely (but quiet), or you could head west to our beloved Freo (Fremantle).

realestate.com.au is the best place to have a look at properties. As a rule of thumb, the further out from Perth city the lower property prices, although there are always exceptions. Perth is quite sprawling/spread out, with most suburbs having their own large shopping centres. If you're after a place that lets you stroll to cafes, pubs and clubs, you'd need to choose carefully as the 'burbs can be a bit soulless.

It gets bloody hot here in summer, but then again it gets bloody hot in summer just about everywhere in Australia It's generally a dry heat. I couldn't live without air conditioning.

Re. ease of travel, well we have an international airport so you can travel anywhere you need to. Going to/from the UK/Europe, I find the quickest and easiest route is via Dubai, Doha or Abu Dhabi. You can choose to transit via Hong Kong or Singapore too. Holidays to South East Asian countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand are cheap and cheerful, although you can go upmarket with your resort/hotel if you want to. Singapore's also good for a get away. It takes about the same time (5 hours) to fly to Sydney as it does to Singapore, Bali's a 3 hour flight.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Feb 4th 2021 at 11:45 am.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

The trips to Singapore & Bali would be interesting....
Old Feb 6th 2021, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Old Feb 6th 2021, 2:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mash2000
Yep, saw that the first time you posted it. Glad you found something in my post helpful!