Permanent Residency & Divorce

Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:30 am
Just Joined

gerryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent Residency & Divorce

Hello all,

I’m currently living in Australia with a Sub Class 100 Resident Visa which has no conditions. My was granted under the family stream as my wife is Australian, it was granted in August 07. Recently my wife and I have been discussing separating and with a view to getting a divorce. Do any of you out there know how this would affect my resident status in Australia. On the visa it states ‘permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely’, is this still the case even if my wife and I split?

Thanks in advance for your help.
GG
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:46 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Permanent Residency & Divorce

I can't say for sure but I suspect since it's a permanent visa you would still be allowed to stay in the country.

If you look at this link it appears as though on your visa you don't even have to notify DIAC for changes in the relationship.
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/part...-applicant.htm

Hopefully someone will come along and give you a more definitive answer. All I know is from what I read on the immigration website in about a 5 minute span, so more advice is needed.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency & Divorce

As long as the relationship was existing and ongoing when the visa was validated, permanent resident status will be retained.

Bear in mind that if PR is abandoned without becoming an Australian citizen, it may be impossible to get it back.