Partner visa application

Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Leey23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner visa application

Hi I'm wondering if people can help with any advice I'm English and my girlfriend has a dual citizenship we want to go and live at her home in Australia so was looking at a partner visa, we have been together just over 1 year and in March will of been living together 1 year so any advice on things to do and put in this applications would be great thanks, got a few questions too
1) I've a drink driving conviction 5 years ago would that affect me going out? Does anyone know of anyone getting a full residency with that conviction?
2) shall we pay an agent to help us with our case are they worth the expense?
3) say I was accepted for the visa they give you a temporary two year one I think to start with them after that whilst your out there you apply for a permanent one which there is a good chance of being granted if your still together and proved financially your good but on the temporary one can you get a mortgage?
Old Jan 7th 2016, 11:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner visa application

Originally Posted by Leey23
Hi I'm wondering if people can help with any advice I'm English and my girlfriend has a dual citizenship we want to go and live at her home in Australia so was looking at a partner visa, we have been together just over 1 year and in March will of been living together 1 year so any advice on things to do and put in this applications would be great thanks, got a few questions too
1) I've a drink driving conviction 5 years ago would that affect me going out? Does anyone know of anyone getting a full residency with that conviction?
2) shall we pay an agent to help us with our case are they worth the expense?
3) say I was accepted for the visa they give you a temporary two year one I think to start with them after that whilst your out there you apply for a permanent one which there is a good chance of being granted if your still together and proved financially your good but on the temporary one can you get a mortgage?
Yes, Its a Partner/Spouse visa you need. You actually apply for the PR visa from the start, but you'll get a 2 year provisional visa first (after about a 9 month wait). Two years after you apply for that you provide information that shows the relationship is still ongoing and then you get PR (eventually- wait time is about another 9-12 months at present).
You can get a mortgage if you can find a lender - there are no rules against it but some won't lend until you are PR.

A drink-drive conviction shouldn't stop you getting the visa though you will have to declare it.

Have a good read of Partner category visa options
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:50 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner visa application

Wait until you've been living together for a year before you lodge your application. A drink driving conviction won't prevent your visa being granted but you should fully disclose it in the relevant section on the application form. Unless you have specific circumstances that would warrant it, using an agent is usually a waste of money.