Parent visa

Old Sep 24th 2018, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

nilv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent visa

Hi all,

My 77 year old retired Dad is in Australia here on a 6 month holiday visa (no 8503 stamp).

We have been intending on getting him an Australian visa so he can stay with us (3 Sons with Citizenship / PR in Australia) here permanently. He passes the balance of family test as my other two siblings live abroad in different countries.

We applied for the onshore non contributory visa 173 (which allows him an initial 2 years of stay) in the year 2016, and apparently we still have 16 to 24 months in the queue. We would then have to transition to visa 143 after that for him to stay here long term.

I wondered if you could advise on what the optimal option would be from the following:
1. Stick with the visa 173 then transition to visa 143 whenever it happens - the caveat with these being that they don't let you stay onshore when the visa is granted, which is not desirable.
2. Apply for 884 (which requires withdrawing the visa 173 application) and after two years transition to visa 864 - the attractive thing about this path is he does not have to leave the country, can apply onshore and can be onshore when the visa is granted.

The costs for both #1 & #2 are not massively different though #2 is processed quicker.

Now I was hoping to get your advise on whether pursuing the #2 option would be the wise thing to do - and if there's anything else to be aware of?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent visa

Originally Posted by nilv
Hi all,

My 77 year old retired Dad is in Australia here on a 6 month holiday visa (no 8503 stamp).

We have been intending on getting him an Australian visa so he can stay with us (3 Sons with Citizenship / PR in Australia) here permanently. He passes the balance of family test as my other two siblings live abroad in different countries.

We applied for the onshore non contributory visa 173 (which allows him an initial 2 years of stay) in the year 2016, and apparently we still have 16 to 24 months in the queue. We would then have to transition to visa 143 after that for him to stay here long term.

I wondered if you could advise on what the optimal option would be from the following:
1. Stick with the visa 173 then transition to visa 143 whenever it happens - the caveat with these being that they don't let you stay onshore when the visa is granted, which is not desirable.
2. Apply for 884 (which requires withdrawing the visa 173 application) and after two years transition to visa 864 - the attractive thing about this path is he does not have to leave the country, can apply onshore and can be onshore when the visa is granted.

The costs for both #1 & #2 are not massively different though #2 is processed quicker.

Now I was hoping to get your advise on whether pursuing the #2 option would be the wise thing to do - and if there's anything else to be aware of?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks.
So presumably he arrived in 2016 on a tourist visa and thats what he was holding when he applied for the non-contrib visa?
Bit confused when you say he is now on a tourist visa - did he leave and return on a new visa or did he stay onshore, in which case I would expect him to be on a bridging visa by now?

Either way I would suggest some professional advice, but especially if he is on a bridging visa.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

nilv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So presumably he arrived in 2016 on a tourist visa and thats what he was holding when he applied for the non-contrib visa?
Bit confused when you say he is now on a tourist visa - did he leave and return on a new visa or did he stay onshore, in which case I would expect him to be on a bridging visa by now?

Either way I would suggest some professional advice, but especially if he is on a bridging visa.
Hi Pollyana, thanks for your reply.

So we applied for visa 173 while he was off shore - he has since been visiting Australia on a holiday visa and in that time I discovered the options I mentioned in my posting. At the moment he is in Australia on a holiday visa again and we're trying to figure if we should pursue #2.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 1:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nilv
Hi Pollyana, thanks for your reply.

So we applied for visa 173 while he was off shore - he has since been visiting Australia on a holiday visa and in that time I discovered the options I mentioned in my posting. At the moment he is in Australia on a holiday visa again and we're trying to figure if we should pursue #2.
Ah I see, I was a bit confused when you said he'd applied for an onshore 173.
Must admit in your (his) shoes I would definitely be consulting an agent