Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

PANIC!!! In Australia 3 months. 457 CANCELLED!

PANIC!!! In Australia 3 months. 457 CANCELLED!

Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:17 am
Just Joined

plasto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PANIC!!! In Australia 3 months. 457 CANCELLED!

What will I do now?

I got sponsored as a plasterer with my wife and son, now my employer lost a big contract and is letting 50 guys go....including me!

I know i need to find another sponsor, but is there any way I can get more time to find another sponsor. 30 days is not going to be long enough.

If anyone knows another way around this, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PANIC!!! In Australia 3 months. 457 CANCELLED!

Originally Posted by plasto
What will I do now?

I got sponsored as a plasterer with my wife and son, now my employer lost a big contract and is letting 50 guys go....including me!

I know i need to find another sponsor, but is there any way I can get more time to find another sponsor. 30 days is not going to be long enough.

Thanks.
Do you satisfy the requirements for a 175? Can you apply to other companies for a sponsorship? Surely there must be other employers out there looking for plasterers.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

this is what ive been told you can do so kind of test to see if you can stay on visa i would speak to visa agent think there one that comes on this site called 'go matilda' good luck
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:36 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasto
What will I do now?

Thanks.
Hi Plasto,

The reality is that whoever got the contract is going to be engaging 50 plasterers soon and there aren't enough in Australia to go round, hence the MODL listing. I would suggest you talk to an agent and approach your job searching sensibly - yes it's a scary time but approaching the situation constructively would be my initial advice. Also bear in mind that your current sponsor is obliged to meet your repatriation expenses if it comes to that.

Our contact details fwiw are below - office phone number is +61-2-97990085.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 21st 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

ozzierules is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure this is any help:

http://www.seek.com.au/

http://www.careerone.com.au/

wish you the best
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Just out of interest, would it be possible for you to apply for a tourist visa right now to stay in the country and to give you time to find another sponsor, then once you have one apply for another 457?

I'd like to know this, for myself!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:05 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Just out of interest, would it be possible for you to apply for a tourist visa right now to stay in the country and to give you time to find another sponsor, then once you have one apply for another 457?

I'd like to know this, for myself!
Dear DM,

Yes but DIAC may, at its discretion, impose an 8503 condition on your visitor visa, and that might spoil your day.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

George can you just clarify you can apply and be granted an ETA whilst onshore?

What does a 8503 condition mean?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
George can you just clarify you can apply and be granted an ETA whilst onshore?
Regular tourist visa. Not an ETA.

What does a 8503 condition mean?
No Further Stay.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Oh 'no further stay'. Is that very likely?

Would it help if you were honest on the application and be upfront about looking for sponsorship and wanting to apply for another 457/ens/rsms but accept that you must leave if you can't and will use this time to see a bit of the county before leaving.

Surely CO's are human too and if you are very honest and set yourself up to be monitored closely then it might work. After all lots of people come on ETA's for reccies and seek work then. All you'd be doing is the same as them.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

plasto is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your replies, they've all been very helpful.

I do not apply for a 175 visa, no official qualification.

Thanks again.

Simon