Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Overseas students in Australia and ACS assessment

Overseas students in Australia and ACS assessment

Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

ginmi is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Overseas students in Australia and ACS assessment

Hello Everybody,

I am currently an overseas student in Australia completing his masters in Information Systems.
I also have a bachelor degree in information systems from a university in my own country.

I plan to apply for PR after graduation under the overseas students onshore category and would require to get a "suitable" assessment from the ACS (under group C - recent graduates from an Australian university).

I read carefully the ACS PASA guidelines and would like to clarify a few points:

a. I noticed that the ACS differentiate between a master degree which is a "real" postgraduate qualification and a master degree which is " postgraduate in time but substantially undergraduate in content".
How is that determined by them and how can I do a self-evaluation of the master I'm currently studying in order to determine to which of these two groups it belongs?

b. In clause 2.1.5 of the guidelines it says: "As a guide, a major in IT for a Post Graduate Diploma or higher degree qualification which follows a degree-level qualification in IT or equivalent, must have an IT content of at least one third, all of which must be at post graduate level."
My questions:
1. What is the difference between a Graduate diploma and a Post graduate diploma. Is it the same?
Would a masters degree be considered as a "higher degree qualification" than a Post Graduate
Diploma. In other words: Is this clause relevant for ME?
2. How does the ACS determine whether a subject is "at postgraduate level"? Is it based on the university's definition? In other words: if my Uni says a particular subject is a postgraduate level course, will the ACS necessarily accept that as subject "at postgraduate level"?

Final thing: in clause 2.1.4(e) it says: "Have at least one semester of IT study at a demonstrably advanced level"
How does the ACS define and determine "demonstrably advanced level"?

Thanks in advance for any Insight on the matter

Cheers,
Michael