need help with tra

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:15 am
Just Joined

steve_131 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help with tra

right, I've applied to TRA twice now, first application took 2 months, denied. Second one has taken nearly 2 months and is also likely to be denied (just off phone asking them why its taking so long, they say they sent it to the board??) i have sent all my certificates in to them (most got distinctions). served a formal 4 year apprenticeship in UK. sent one of my employer reference letters in (cant send other because company is shut down). i have worked as a TA in OZ on and off for a year now. yet they still say i cant get my trade recognized because of that one employer not being able to verify i worked for them....... It is now getting towards the end of my 2nd holiday visa and i dont know what to do. i cant find any company to sponsor me until i get my a grade which i was going to do in Adelaide. but i cant do that cause i cant get TRA cert. has anyone else had this problem. if so what can i do? i couldnt be more angry right now with TRA. if i go to new zealand and get my wiring regs there is it the same as just transfereing my licence from state to state in oz? thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: need help with tra

Hi steve i take it you are a sparky mate. Might be able to give you a bit of help if you are as i have been through the same process.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Have moved you to the Immigration Forum, loads of info on here. Also, if you are a leccy, try the Electricians Forum. Whilst it's worldwide, there is loads of great help for Aussie migrants.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:03 am
Just Joined

thanks mark wool i would appreciate it because i dont know what else i can do i am going in 2 days time to a federal mp in darwin to have a word with her (opposition party, should be good lol) but if you can help that would be much appreciated.yes i am a aparky

Last edited by steve_131; Feb 22nd 2011 at 11:06 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve_131
right, I've applied to TRA twice now, first application took 2 months, denied. Second one has taken nearly 2 months and is also likely to be denied (just off phone asking them why its taking so long, they say they sent it to the board??) i have sent all my certificates in to them (most got distinctions). served a formal 4 year apprenticeship in UK. sent one of my employer reference letters in (cant send other because company is shut down). i have worked as a TA in OZ on and off for a year now. yet they still say i cant get my trade recognized because of that one employer not being able to verify i worked for them....... It is now getting towards the end of my 2nd holiday visa and i dont know what to do. i cant find any company to sponsor me until i get my a grade which i was going to do in Adelaide. but i cant do that cause i cant get TRA cert. has anyone else had this problem. if so what can i do? i couldnt be more angry right now with TRA. if i go to new zealand and get my wiring regs there is it the same as just transfereing my licence from state to state in oz? thanks
Hi Steve,
Just so we're clear, are they having trouble verifying the employer who supplied the reference or the employer that has shut down.
If it is the latter then the TRA are aware that companies cease to exist and that a statutory declaration should be made. They allude to this on the ARTC application form. Did you submit a stat dec explaining this?
Regards Derren
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Further to my previous post, did you also obtain a reference from the employer with whom you served an apprenticeship and/or supply other evidence of your apprenticeship other than your trade certs.
The reason I ask is that if you have only supplied trade certs as proof of training the this would be insufficient. The TRA request detailed references and as much evidence as possible because trade certs can be forged, and seemingly have been. Tell us what you submitted to the TRA to see if we can point you in the right direction.
Regards Derren
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:52 am
Just Joined

its the employer that i served my time with that has shut down and i cant get a reference letter from them. the other company's reference letter was fine. still don't get it. surely if i could forge my certificates it would be just as easy if not easier to make a fake company letter.... i submitted 2 reference letters from 2 companies. one of these was from a company i worked for in sydney as a ta. and the other was from the company i was with in the uk after i had become qualified. i submitted all my certificates (about 7 i think in total)

Last edited by steve_131; Feb 23rd 2011 at 8:56 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

its the employer that i served my time with that has shut down and i cant get a reference letter from them. the other company's reference letter was fine. still don't get it. surely if i could forge my certificates it would be just as easy if not easier to make a fake company letter.... i submitted 2 reference letters from 2 companies. one of these was from a company i worked for in sydney as a ta. and the other was from the company i was with in the uk after i had become qualified. i submitted all my certificates (about 7 i think in total)
Hi Steve,
I take your point about it being just as easy to forge letters, I can only guess that the TRA's reasoning behind this is that it makes it that bit harder for would be chancers and hoaxsters.
The TRA's website states that you must have served a 4 year apprenticeship OR have on the job experience for at least 7 years in an electrical trade.
My guess is that as you can't prove your apprenticeship then you may be falling foul of the 7 years experience?
My situation is similar to yours insofar that the company I served my time with cannot provide a reference because it was a long time ago and they cannot access or find any records of my employment with them.
My course of action is going to be to write out a statutory declaration detailing the nature of my apprenticeship year by year, the college I attended, what tools I was trained to use and the nature of the work I was trained to do. To back this up, I am going to submit copies of some college reports , a training plan, copies of my JIB gold card which states "completed apprenticeship" on the reverse, an emigration letter from the JIB which can be obtained from them for £15 ( I've yet to get this so I don't know what it will say) a completion diploma issued by the JIB and of course the trade certs.
I've tried contacting my college but they stated the same as my employer.
It may be worth your while contacting the college you attended to see if they can supply a letter stating that you attended as part of an apprenticeship. Some people have been successful in this regard.
Also, try contacting the JIB if your training was overseen by them or JTL who are another overseer.
Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.
And also, yes if you manage to get a NZ licence you can transfer under 'mutual recognition' although I don't know what the procedures are for obtaining a NZ licence.
Best of luck.
Regards Derren
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Hey, still trying to get this sorted believe it or not. So far i have managed to get a letter from my company back home where i served my apprenticeship to send me a letter. got in touch with old boss finally. I have also sent them a letter from my college explaining each module and stating the course dates etc. and when i completed my apprenticeship. just got a email from them stating that this evidence was not enough??????? i mean seriously what else can i do? any ideas anyone? i have only 2 months to the day to do this or i have to leave the country. im literally pulling my hair out over this.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey, still trying to get this sorted believe it or not. So far i have managed to get a letter from my company back home where i served my apprenticeship to send me a letter. got in touch with old boss finally. I have also sent them a letter from my college explaining each module and stating the course dates etc. and when i completed my apprenticeship. just got a email from them stating that this evidence was not enough??????? i mean seriously what else can i do? any ideas anyone? i have only 2 months to the day to do this or i have to leave the country. im literally pulling my hair out over this.
Hi Steve,
A reference from your apprenticeship employer and college and still not enough evidence? that's a bit of a worry.
The only possible suggestion I can think of is to employ the services of an agent (migration agent?) who deals with this type of thing and see if they can advise. Unfortunately, that means more expense but it may be your only option at this point.
Hope you get things sorted and let us know how you get on.
Regards Derren