Need 457 info urgently

Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

The GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really nice
Default Need 457 info urgently

Currently living in OZ on hubbys student visa, the company i work for 20hrs a week has offered to sponsor me on a 4 year 457 with PR in 2 i am an Accounts Assistant would this be possible i am getting mixed views on this from some of the agents i have spoken to today.

Thanks any help would be appreciated:
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need 457 info urgently

do you intend to keep working just 20 hrs or become fulltime?

will your hubby stay on his student visa? (so he has a route to permancy in his own right) or become the spouse on yours.

Does the existing visa have any restrictions on it to prevent you/him applying for other visas?

Why do those who think you can't do it say that?

Why can't your employer sponsor you for PR straight off? (ENS I presume)

Sorrylots of questions - I'll try and give some answers in a min
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

457 requires a full time postion so you'd have to go full time not 20 hrs.

ENS requires the skill to be on the ENSOL list and I don't think account assistant is, unless you think you can fit a category that is in there that is a visa stopper.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill.../sbs/index.htm for 457 details

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill.../ens/index.htm for ENS details
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

The GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really niceThe GAP is just really nice

Originally Posted by Safin
457 requires a full time postion so you'd have to go full time not 20 hrs.

ENS requires the skill to be on the ENSOL list and I don't think account assistant is, unless you think you can fit a category that is in there that is a visa stopper.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill.../sbs/index.htm for 457 details

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill.../ens/index.htm for ENS details
thanks figured as much just an option - no hubby wants to go home i dont i only have NVQ level 3 in Accounts you need diploma at least so they tell me hubby was studying to be a carpenter but hates the course says dont learn much for your $20000 and that the job which he holds wont be sufficient for PR and that job was not easy to come by at 20hrs so oh well probably home we go
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The GAP
Currently living in OZ on hubbys student visa, the company i work for 20hrs a week has offered to sponsor me on a 4 year 457 with PR in 2 i am an Accounts Assistant would this be possible i am getting mixed views on this from some of the agents i have spoken to today.
Anytime you get "mixed views" from agents, the reason is likely to be a mix of: a. it's a complex/marginal case, b. some agents don't know that area very well and c. you may need to pay for a professional assessment, not just a quick phone discussion.

If you are not a professional accountant then you may need to see if you can fit into one of the associate professional categories. Unless things have changed recently, clerical work like book-keeper is not normally suitable for 457, except in regional areas.

George Lombard in Sydney does a lot of 457 work, you could ask him (search forum for contact detail).
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Anytime you get "mixed views" from agents, the reason is likely to be a mix of: a. it's a complex/marginal case, b. some agents don't know that area very well and c. you may need to pay for a professional assessment, not just a quick phone discussion.

If you are not a professional accountant then you may need to see if you can fit into one of the associate professional categories. Unless things have changed recently, clerical work like book-keeper is not normally suitable for 457, except in regional areas.

George Lombard in Sydney does a lot of 457 work, you could ask him (search forum for contact detail).
thanks JAJ you always give sound no nonsense advice i will try George Lombard.

Just out of couriosity if it was my husbands company offering him sponsorship he is training to be a cabinet maker and has been in his job since May would he have stood a chance at getting a 457 visa
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to look at what qualifications they want for cabinate maker to answer that question. My course is a horticulture course, which they want at least a cert 3 qualification. After one year on the course I would have a cert 3. IF I could find anyone to sponsor for that type of job in theory it would be fine.