Health insurance...mandatory?

Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Kookypie will become famous soon enough
Default Health insurance...mandatory?

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a repeat question.

Im heading to Melbourne on a 457 sponsored visa (waiting waiting waiting!) My employer (Melbourne Health) insist on me signing a waiver to state that I will take out private health insurance. I thought that as Britons we are covered under the reciprocal agreement for basic medicare and dont need insurance....help!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Health insurance...mandatory?

Medicare is only a basic form of government cover. Insurance covers everything - such as ambulance to hospital, medicine etc.

As far as I'm aware Aussie law says that the employer must meet all extra costs not covered by medicare should you fall ill - but they can mitigate by passing the cost on to you. Thats why your employer wants you to pay for your own insurance so they can get out of any health costs.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The reciprocal arrangement is only for necessary medical care. Your private insurance will cover any hospital stays although, of course you would be covered by medicare in case of emergency. However the government would like to send you back if you become too costly because of some accident and you need to either be able to pay for your hospital service (private medical cover) or have some other sort of insurance which would cover your repatriation to UK. We had a friend who was here on a working holiday visa and had a major car accident and as soon as he was out of intensive care they had to repatriate him because he would have otherwise been a very high cost to the Aus tax payer - as temporary residents, the issue is the same.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kookypie
Im heading to Melbourne on a 457 sponsored visa (waiting waiting waiting!) My employer (Melbourne Health) insist on me signing a waiver to state that I will take out private health insurance. I thought that as Britons we are covered under the reciprocal agreement for basic medicare and dont need insurance....help!
Your employer should really be providing full medical insurance. It's a grey area as to whether they legally must do so or not, but it should not even be a subject for discussion if employer expects you to be on a 457.

Why is the employer not sponsoring for permanent residence, anyway?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

I have been sponsored on 457 by two different government agencies in different states and not one of them has offered to pay for private insurance. They all have conditions that i have to take up my own private health insurance.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:34 am
mrt
Forum Regular

mrt will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by looky
I have been sponsored on 457 by two different government agencies in different states and not one of them has offered to pay for private insurance. They all have conditions that i have to take up my own private health insurance.
Same thing for me. I guess they have found a loophole on how to pass the cost onto us.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Smallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant futureSmallpurplecat has a brilliant future

Having read these posts, I'm wondering how much health insurance would be...?