Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

My situation! 417's, 512's and some advice please :)

My situation! 417's, 512's and some advice please :)

Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

laura_s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My situation! 417's, 512's and some advice please :)

Hey all! This could take a while...

Well im 17, finished school and went sixth form college (as ya do), decided i hated it, there was only one place i wanted to be and left after a year, so I'm still awaiting my AS level results!

Basically im set on definitely going away to Australia and studying there, after I visited ALONE last year and stayed with my cousin (who im hoping to live with when i eventually go to Australia)! I have 2 cousins, an auntie and an uncle in Australia My father has permanent residency, but he still lives here.

My cousin comes to visit the UK later this year and flys back on the 15th November, I turn 18 on the 9th and im hoping to fly back with her for my year!
I have looked into several visas and have been pretty keen on the 572 (vocational education and training) and im hoping to get enrolled on a pharmacy course at TAFE!

A few questions I have:
Is the 572 visa intended/is it better to apply for whilst you're in Australia?
I know you need to be accepted onto the course of choice, and every way I have looked into it with my father, we both think it would be better to apply for whilst I was in Australia.

If you have a 572 visa, does distance education (via correspondance) support the vocation visa?
The TAFE course I'm planning to do isnt avaliable at the TAFE near to where i'll be living, would I still satisfy the conditions of the visa by doing my course viz corrsepondance?

The conclusion me and my father came to was that it would be best to, as soon as I turn 18, apply for a 417 working holiday visa, which means i could still work for a couple of months then apply for the 572 and enroll on my course (of, course, it would be alot easier if i was actually in the country to do this) and the school year starts in january.

And also for anyone else who has had a working holiday visa, how long does it take to come through? I turn 18 on the 9th november and I'm hoping to fly out on the 15th, back with my cousin. If a medical is needed for me (which hopefully it wont as i had one when my father got his permanent residency) then it may be a little more complicated than im hoping!

Sorry about the length anyway , just hoping for answers
Laura xxx
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My situation! 417's, 512's and some advice please :)

Why doesn't your father sponsor you for a child visa?
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

laura_s is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louie
Why doesn't your father sponsor you for a child visa?
What would happen once I turn 18 though? Even if I can't go back with my cousin, I'll be going after I turn 18 anyway so could he still do that? I thought that once I turned 18 I was on my own
And if I get granted a child visa before I'm 18, wont it be no longer valid once I am 18?
xx
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

What Louie said, with knobs on! Oh lord why are you even talking about student and working holiday visas when you could get PR so long as you get your skates on. You have until you are 18. Child visa is the way to go.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laura_s
What would happen once I turn 18 though? Even if I can't go back with my cousin, I'll be going after I turn 18 anyway so could he still do that? I thought that once I turned 18 I was on my own
And if I get granted a child visa before I'm 18, wont it be no longer valid once I am 18?
xx
That's part of the reason that you had a medical when your father got PR - so that they are aware of any medical conditions, in case he wanted to take you with him. Go for the Child Visa, but quickly. You can still get it after you are 18 but you MUST be a dependent child - ie in full time education, and with no income of your own.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laura_s
xx
Nothing would happen when you are 18, if you have PR you have PR. It is permanent.

This is by far the best visa for you to go for and should be straight forward so long as you get the application in before you are 18. Once you turn 18 it will become much harder to get the child visa, perhaps not possible if you are working.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Have a good look at the DIAC website - http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/child/101/