Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Lodging offshore 457 and 175 applications at the same time

Lodging offshore 457 and 175 applications at the same time

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Rub29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lodging offshore 457 and 175 applications at the same time

Hello,

I've got a few questions regarding offshore 457 and 175 visa applications, maybe I should just tell my story to make myself understood more easily.

I was planning to apply for an offshore 175 visa last month but I didn't receive my skills assessment letter in time before the 7th may changes, so I now have to wait until July.

In the mean time, I sent some CVs to australian companies and I've ended up with an offer yesterday, my future employer is going to sponsor me for a 457 visa.

My questions are:

Can I go through the process for a 457 visa and at the same time lodge an offshore 175 visa application (once the ban is lifted) ? If it's not possible, can I come to Australia on a 457 visa and lodge an offshore 175 application after my arrival?

My employer has also told me that I would be eligible for a Living Away from Home allowance while I'm on a 457 visa. If I lodge an OFFSHORE 175 application visa, does that mean that I would no longer be able to claim LAFHA?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lodging offshore 457 and 175 applications at the same time

You are perfectly free to lodge the 175 application either before or after you depart for Australia.

Strictly speaking you should not be entitled for LAFHA if where you move to is somewhere you plan to make your permanent home. I have no idea in practice whether people generally just ignore this and claim anyway.

Just another thought, as you have a skills assessment in hand, could you not ask your employer to apply for an ENS visa rather than a 457? You could sell it to them as being a visa that has less oblligations on their part and I don't know that it would take significantly longer considering you already have the skills bit done.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Rub29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your answer Bermudashorts.

I did mention to my employer that I already had skills assessment done and they replied that it's their policy to sponsor for 457 and then go for ENS after the employee has worked with them for two years. They said that I could either lodge my own 175 application or wait two years for their sponsorship if I want.

Concerning LAFHA, it is indeed a bit unclear of how things are done in practice. One could argue that he is not sure of staying permanently until he has actually got a PR visa, not just made an application! The difference in net salary could be around $1000 per month in my case if I can claim LAFHA, so I was a bit disappointed when I read that once you make a PR application, you could no longer claim it.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You are perfectly free to lodge the 175 application either before or after you depart for Australia.

Strictly speaking you should not be entitled for LAFHA if where you move to is somewhere you plan to make your permanent home. I have no idea in practice whether people generally just ignore this and claim anyway.

Just another thought, as you have a skills assessment in hand, could you not ask your employer to apply for an ENS visa rather than a 457? You could sell it to them as being a visa that has less oblligations on their part and I don't know that it would take significantly longer considering you already have the skills bit done.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

qamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rub29
Thanks for your answer Bermudashorts.

I did mention to my employer that I already had skills assessment done and they replied that it's their policy to sponsor for 457 and then go for ENS after the employee has worked with them for two years. They said that I could either lodge my own 175 application or wait two years for their sponsorship if I want.

Concerning LAFHA, it is indeed a bit unclear of how things are done in practice. One could argue that he is not sure of staying permanently until he has actually got a PR visa, not just made an application! The difference in net salary could be around $1000 per month in my case if I can claim LAFHA, so I was a bit disappointed when I read that once you make a PR application, you could no longer claim it.
i second your thoughts, once on 457 and u apply for 175 , you are not entitled for LAHFA. This a bit insane as even if one has applied for 175 its not sure whether it will be granted or not.