Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Moving To Australia within company, what I need to know

Moving To Australia within company, what I need to know

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:58 am
Just Joined

felixflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Australia within company, what I need to know

Hi all

I may soon be asked to relocate to Melbourne from the UK by my current employer. I am a self employed contractor so not technically employed by them although have worked for them for 8 years. If I decide to go it will be with a view to staying and getting citizenship etc. I have a wife who doesn't work and 2 children aged 10 & 7.

The offer is not in place yet as it will depend on whether we win some work or not but if it happens I will be required to decide quickly so looking for information to be fully aware of what I need to negotiate.

Firstly the VISA, I take it I will be on a 457? Is that possible as a non employee? Will my wife be allowed to work? What would be the process to apply for permanent residency asap? I am in civil engineering.

Regarding costs, will I need to pay for the childrens education? We have a dog and cat that we would need to bring. What would that process involve?

I have loads of questions at the moment and am looking through past threads but I need as much up to date info relevant to my situation so I will be ready to negotiate the best deal.

Regards
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To Australia within company, what I need to know

Originally Posted by felixflyer
Hi all

I may soon be asked to relocate to Melbourne from the UK by my current employer. I am a self employed contractor so not technically employed by them although have worked for them for 8 years. If I decide to go it will be with a view to staying and getting citizenship etc. I have a wife who doesn't work and 2 children aged 10 & 7.

The offer is not in place yet as it will depend on whether we win some work or not but if it happens I will be required to decide quickly so looking for information to be fully aware of what I need to negotiate.

Firstly the VISA, I take it I will be on a 457? Is that possible as a non employee? Will my wife be allowed to work? What would be the process to apply for permanent residency asap? I am in civil engineering.

Regarding costs, will I need to pay for the childrens education? We have a dog and cat that we would need to bring. What would that process involve?

I have loads of questions at the moment and am looking through past threads but I need as much up to date info relevant to my situation so I will be ready to negotiate the best deal.

Regards
Negotiate at least 2x your current salary to maintain your standard of living. At least.

That's the big negotiation item. Everything else is just detail.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

No, you would need to be an employee to obtain a 457 visa. The 457 is tied to the employer and requires a sponsored person to be a full time employee.

Your wife can work, though you should be aware that partners on this visa can have difficulty finding work due to the nature of the visa.

Some states charge for education, I can't remember if Vic does.

It is important you understand the nature of this visa. It is a temporary visa with the assumption you leave at the end. There is no automatic path to PR. While some go on and get PR, many do not.

It is tied to the employer, so, if you were to lose your job for any reason, you would only have 60 days to find another sponsor or leave the country.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 10:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved the thread to the Immi Forum, it makes it easier info wise. Any queries you have about suburbs or simple Aus stuff can go in the Aus forum or the Barbie. Good luck with the move.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

What visa does your company say they'll offer? Have they "sponsored" / transferred staff to Australia before?