British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/ministers-announcement-gsm-visas-%E2%80%93-8-february-2010-a-653530/)

Evelin Feb 8th 2010 5:18 am

Re: Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8321772)
I can't imagine there will ever be too many doctors or nurses here, the country is crying out for them.

As for jobs in climate change - very very narrow field, and a fair few Aussies have skills in that and related areas. Absolutely no point on making that a skill in demand.

well, eg nurses are short in many countries. Example, a German nurse moves to Australia. Her place will be taken up by a nurse from Poland, her place will taken up by a nurse from th Ukraine andsoforth. That's reality. In the Uk I gues they are replaced by Asian nurses.

But, my friend, a nurse for 40 years in the UK and here told me last weekend, that she has to care now for 35 residents because the management is cutting down on staff. Before, they were two on a shift.

dhama Feb 8th 2010 5:20 am

Thanks AMan Great INfo. By the way when are you landing in OZ . Have started applying for Jobs. Did you apply for SAP Australia

cheers
Dhama

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1 (Post 8321893)
Check this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653562

"Good Morning everyone,

Nice set of challenges to wake up to.

The critical points about the changes to General Skilled Migration are:

a) Current applicants who applied on or after 1 September 2007 aren't affected - their points and eligibility are locked in and in most cases their processing priority will remain the same until 30 June 2010 at least.

b) People who applied before 1 September 2007 are subject to "cap and kill" legislation, ie the Department is going to process a certain number (not yet announced as far as I know) and then terminate the rest, in which case all application fees paid to the Department of Immigration will be returned to those applicants (directly or through their agents).

c) Current onshore students will not be able to claim MODL points however they will benefit from a complex suite of measures designed to protect them (and the international student industry). The Department will announce the new skilled occupation list by 30 April 2010 (taking effect on 30 June 2010) and most graduates who have not yet applied for a general skilled migration visa will need to wait until then to determine which pathway they should pursue. The Department does not need to announce transitional measures for students whose visas are expiring on 15 March 2010 since those students are able to lodge a subclass 485 (temporary graduate) visa and then change their nominated occupation for their permanent visa application.

d) People planning to apply for General Skilled Migration as of 8 February should consult a migration agent - those who hold positive skills assessments but have not yet applied for their visas will be able to apply however should their nominated occupation not be on the new Skilled Occupation List then their application will most likely be refused.

e) The MODL is dead for new applicants - except for the continued operation of the Critical Skills List which will still give IT MODL skills priority until then.

f) There is still more information needed to clarify many of these points, in particular I would expect inputs from the Minister's speech later today, and also from the Migration Institute of Australia. In the meantime, the major links are all here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...df/faq-sol.pdf .

Cheers,

George Lombard"

rubbeldiekatz Feb 8th 2010 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Duncan_Mc (Post 8321095)
Yes, you're right. No fair go, no hope, no help. Just unhumane behaviour.

Shame on them!

Relax

mahboob807 Feb 8th 2010 5:21 am

Originally Posted by dhama (Post 8321899)
HI
I don't think your are affected as far as points and MODL are concerned However Priority processing may delay your case further. Biggest mistake you did that by not uploading your medicals and PCC Once case officer was allotted. It is better late than never. Hope you will get through quickly.

Cheers
Dhama

What would then be happened?
He can still upload now.

believer Feb 8th 2010 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8321772)
I can't imagine there will ever be too many doctors or nurses here, the country is crying out for them.

As for jobs in climate change - very very narrow field, and a fair few Aussies have skills in that and related areas. Absolutely no point on making that a skill in demand.

a lot of people still even don't understand the concept of climate change, let alone find a job in it.

dhama Feb 8th 2010 5:55 am

Yeah but there was a possibility when everything uploaded case officer straightway grant a PR , bUT NOW His fingers crossed

Originally Posted by mahboob807 (Post 8321912)
What would then be happened?
He can still upload now.

mahboob807 Feb 8th 2010 6:25 am

Originally Posted by dhama (Post 8321965)
Yeah but there was a possibility when everything uploaded case officer straightway grant a PR , bUT NOW His fingers crossed

Hmmmm.....you are right.
Many people got direct Visa uploading PCC/Meds before being asked. Some people uploaded before CO was assigned.

AndyR Feb 8th 2010 6:27 am

I've given up with our Oz plans. October 08 GSM, none CSL or MODL, came to Oz in May 09 as planning on travelling and was made redundant because of the visa app. Couldn't find work in Oz, didn't get on with the place either so moved to New Zealand. Found work within a week and totally loving it here!

Will not be returning to Oz, but am leaving the application in because hopefully they will do what they did with the pre 2007 ones now, and in a couple of years just refund it :)

aliah Feb 8th 2010 6:34 am

Originally Posted by dhama (Post 8321899)
HI
I don't think your are affected as far as points and MODL are concerned However Priority processing may delay your case further. Biggest mistake you did that by not uploading your medicals and PCC Once case officer was allotted. It is better late than never. Hope you will get through quickly.

Cheers
Dhama

Thanks a lot for the response.i m from Pakistan and the day i was assigned CO(1st feb)i called the penal doctor in pakistan for appointment and they said clearly that u need to bring along the letter from DIAC in which medical examinations are asked!i have not received it yet so how can i undergo medical exam.???
can any pakistani applicant suggest!!!i will be highly obliged!

jovipk Feb 8th 2010 7:06 am

Originally Posted by janice1uk (Post 8320433)
i would think your only safe if your final application has been submitted and final monies paid to DIAC

Hi,

What if DIAC has recieved the application pouch but not encashed the DD before Feb 8, will I be considered as a inprocess applicant?

Thx!

winedonju Feb 8th 2010 7:36 am

OK...I have been following this all day with that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach!
If anyone can help smooth things out for me...I'd very much appreciate it.....

We are here on the Sunny coast QLD on a 457 visa...we are 18 months into our 4 year visa....which means we cannot apply for PR for another 6 months (need to do 2 years work experience Oz style ;) ) aaannnyways this will be AFTER the new sol list comes out........if OH's job is not on that list.....is that it for us....do we have to sell the house and take all 3 kids plus one dog back to blighty??????
OH is a flat glass tradesperson 4982-11 what are the chance of that going off the new SOL list???? answer on the back of a postcard please sent to the woman having an eppyfit on the Sunny coast cos her life has been turned upside down:eek:

Much appreciated for any help/info.

Donna.xx

aliah Feb 8th 2010 7:37 am

suggestion for GSM 176(family sponsored)after new priority processing announcement???

Hi all,

It is a bad day for many and unfortunately i am in either :(
CO assigned on 1st february but never asked for meds and PCC though rest of docs status changed to met.
kindly kindly kindly advise me what to do now coz GSM 176(family sponsored)is out of the show and i am affected at last moment.
Should i change to 175 coz its still there down the list???i had 120 points while lodging the 176 application!!!
kindly any one help me and suggest something beneficial in this regard!

alipa Feb 8th 2010 7:50 am

Re: suggestion for GSM 176(family sponsored)after new priority processing announcemen

Originally Posted by aliah (Post 8322123)
Hi all,

It is a bad day for many and unfortunately i am in either :(
CO assigned on 1st february but never asked for meds and PCC though rest of docs status changed to met.
kindly kindly kindly advise me what to do now coz GSM 176(family sponsored)is out of the show and i am affected at last moment.
Should i change to 175 coz its still there down the list???i had 120 points while lodging the 176 application!!!
kindly any one help me and suggest something beneficial in this regard!

Why 176 is out? I think there is no change in 176 category?

Vindy Feb 8th 2010 8:05 am

Australia to Focus on Imigration policy on Skills

On the BBC web site today.

Australia seeks skilled migrants
Australia's immigration minister, Chris Evans, has announced policy changes to attract more highly skilled workers.

He criticised the current trend for new arrivals to sign up for cookery or hairdressing courses to gain residency.

Mr Evans said Australia would abolish the current list of 106 skills in demand and review a points test used to assess migrants.

His comments were welcomed by the mining sector, which is struggling to meet China's demand for raw materials.

"We had tens of thousands of students studying cookery and accounting and hairdressing because that was on the list and that got them through to permanent residency," Mr Evans told Australian radio.

Catering to high-end

"We want to make sure we're getting the high-end applicants," the immigration minister said.

“ We need the people on the job now and the demand going forward will be even greater as these projects get off the ground ”
Steve Knott Australian Mines and Metals Association
He said the new immigration intake would focus on health workers, including more doctors and nurses, as well as engineering and mining.

Australia's mining sector is struggling to find tens of thousands of staff to support major firms like BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto as they expand to meet China's growing demand for resources.

"We need the people on the job now and the demand going forward will be even greater as these projects get off the ground," Australian Mines and Metals Association Chief Executive Steve Knott told Australian radio.

"The boom in the resources sector, particularly in the north-west of Western Australia, has been quite strong so we welcome the decision that has been made," he said.

Fraud reports

Many overseas students from Asia seek residency in Australia after completing vocational courses at private colleges, usually in hairdressing and catering.

Education experts have been calling on Australia to overhaul its foreign student sector after reports of fraud and that students were using the system purely to gain residency in Australia.

Last year 170,000 people applied to live and work permanently in Australia as skilled migrants, but there were just 108,100 places available, he said.

Mr Evans added that all lower-skilled applications lodged before 1 September 2007, when English language skills and work experience requirements were easier, would have their applications withdrawn and application fees worth A$14 million ($12.15 million) refunded.

Australian Bureau of Statistics data shows that 4.4 million people in Australia were born overseas

Bermudashorts Feb 8th 2010 8:11 am

Re: suggestion for GSM 176(family sponsored)after new priority processing announcemen

Originally Posted by alipa (Post 8322150)
Why 176 is out? I think there is no change in 176 category?

Quite. Aliah why do you even think you are effected? Have you actually read the announcements.

:confused: