British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/ministers-announcement-gsm-visas-%E2%80%93-8-february-2010-a-653530/)

Chipster Feb 7th 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

I think I am stuffed.
I'm 44 next week and my occupation was on the MODL which meant I achieved 120 points.
I now have 105 and am therefore thinking of going no further wth my application as I will simply be wasting money if I understand the situation correctly because I have not submitted my application.

If my occupation is on the new SOL announced in April will points be awarded for that or do we just not know what curve balls the Australian Government will throw next?

Duncan_Mc Feb 7th 2010 7:14 pm

Re: state migration plan

Originally Posted by janice1uk (Post 8320483)
I think States will have two list. The second list will be like csl hopefully Electricians will be on it then we will move back to Cat2. We are heading to SA how about you.:thumbsup:

It's just your guessing.
In fact, I think there is no need for states to copy CSL as it gives enough priority for applicants (CSL + SS = 3 cat.)

Instead, states will make their own lists that are different from CSL to sponsor other workers, not included in CSL. The problem is who will they include in it and how soon we'll know it.

taz2008 Feb 7th 2010 7:34 pm

Lets hope we are all on it hey! :fingerscrossed:

rocket01 Feb 7th 2010 7:38 pm

Goverment tightens immigration policy

20000 might be refused visas

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/...ration-policy/

bebac30 Feb 7th 2010 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by taz2008 (Post 8320747)

I hope for sure :fingerscrossed:

But the question is when will it be released. As i understand minister hasn`t approved any, so it maybe already done by states and now it is in magic hands of minister :sneaky: ...who knows...

Stevenson Feb 7th 2010 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by janice1uk (Post 8320483)
I think States will have two list. The second list will be like csl hopefully Electricians will be on it then we will move back to Cat2. We are heading to SA how about you.:thumbsup:

This is the way I also read it. Plumber with Vic SS, now in cat 2 from cat 5 is this right?:blink: but only if the minister agree's the state list.

lizards Feb 7th 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Goverment tightens immigration policy

'mining professionals 'Intresting..

Any idea how easy it is to come by these jobs? Anyone doing/done one ?

What exactly is involved in the sponsorship thing?

wargod Feb 7th 2010 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by rocket01 (Post 8320760)

On Nova 106.9 here in Brisbane - they mentioned cooks and hairdressers being removed....

rocket01 Feb 7th 2010 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by lizards (Post 8320784)
'mining professionals 'Intresting..

Any idea how easy it is to come by these jobs? Anyone doing/done one ?

What exactly is involved in the sponsorship thing?

More detailed info here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653562

Centurion Feb 7th 2010 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by wargod (Post 8320786)
On Nova 106.9 here in Brisbane - they mentioned chefs and hairdressers being removed....

There is no word until 30 April as to what the new list will be. I believe the minister commented on the disparity between someone being able to get PR after a 92 week hairdressing or chef course and someone not being able to after getting degree level qualifications. They were used as examples and no doubt pounced on by the media but those professions may or may not appear in the new list.

Until then, really everything is speculation. But it does appear that the focus of the new system is not to give visas to everyone but for Australia to really address its specific migration needs, especially on a individual state level. Which, in theory doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Bermudashorts Feb 7th 2010 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by wargod (Post 8320786)
On Nova 106.9 here in Brisbane - they mentioned chefs and hairdressers being removed....

Not true. At this point no particular occupations have been removed, but there will be a new list issued in the coming months.

cartertucker Feb 7th 2010 8:06 pm

Lets hope we are on it....:fingerscrossed:

And lets also hope that it doesnt take ages to be announced....Its gonna be an anxious time, again.....:unsure:

Duncan_Mc Feb 7th 2010 8:15 pm

Of course, "let the hope be with us". ;)

Pollyana Feb 7th 2010 8:19 pm

More threads merged ;)

Bermudashorts Feb 7th 2010 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8320879)
More threads merged ;)

I hope you are getting overtime payments.