Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Medicals: Protein in my urine - DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

Medicals: Protein in my urine - DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:10 am
Just Joined

Lambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura about
Red face Medicals: Protein in my urine - DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

Just wanted to share my experience if it will help others cope should this happen to you....

It's been extremely hot in Melbourne and I'm not used to the taste of the water. When we had our medicals, I was told I would need to see a GP and have additional blood and urine tests, as their was a "moderate" amount of protein in my urine sample.

Hearing this gave me a huge shock and, had my husband not been there to run interference, I wonder if the doctor might not have ticked boxes for mental stability problems (seriously). As it was, he ticked that I had anxiety, though told me that was clearly related to being told I'd need additional tests.

Anyway, apparently this is very, very common and almost always (he said 99% of the time) related to being dehydrated. A few days of worry, two doctors appointments, a lab visit and a few hundred extra dollars later and I have a letter saying I don't have kidney disease or anything precluding immigration.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER for 24 hours before your medical exam! And don't freak out on the spot (like me) if you get sent for further testing...

That's all...
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:34 am
Just Joined

sandiep has a spectacular aura aboutsandiep has a spectacular aura aboutsandiep has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Medicals: Protein in my urine - DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

We had meds done Melbourne on Friday (hot day again). Both 10 year old daughter and i had trace protein. I wonder if their cups are defective??
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:46 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the cups it's the dipsticks they use for the tests - known to give false positive readings throughout the medical fraternity. Every Dr and nurse I've asked about it has said "why do they still use those things?"
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:33 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tking
It's not the cups it's the dipsticks they use for the tests - known to give false positive readings throughout the medical fraternity. Every Dr and nurse I've asked about it has said "why do they still use those things?"
My daughter had protein in her water too... the nurse told us not to worry and to just go and see our GP...

1 week later she had tonsilitis.. (sp?)

Em x
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, in addition to urine test what are the other tests? I know there should be a blood pressure test too. chest examination may be x-rays.. what else? anyone?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:24 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

HIV and if you have had a tattoo they might do a hep B... chest x ray was done at a different place to our medicals too

Em x
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Lambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura aboutLambuel N Ruby has a spectacular aura about

For 457 we only had X-rays.

For PR, we had to do:
- X-rays again (it was just easier than tracking down the ones we had done last month for 457's, having them sent to a govt approved radiologist, etc.)
- blood draw (HIV, probably hepatitis, and I don't know what else they look for there, but not a fasting one or anything)
- listened to heart and lungs
- neck glands
- poked abdomen
- blood pressure
- interview about past hospitalizations, surgery, etc.

In downtown Melbourne, it took 3 hours...a lot of waiting in between steps. Cost was was under $300.

I am on medication for adult ADD (Wellbutrin and Ritalin), which is common in the US and very uncommon in Australia. My examining doctor was very kind and made a call to an approving high-level doctor who agreed to give me a pass on the condition without requiring a psychiatric re*****l, request for medical records, etc. This would have been quite expensive.

My advice is to 1) be honest 2) know what you're going to be asked about up front and bring documentation that can help deescalate any concerns, so you don't have to go to the next level (re*****ls to a GP/follow up exams) 3) keep it together emotionally! They are extremely courteous (like nearly all Australians that we've encountered) and do their best to make you comfortable. I didn't have to even disrobe, as an example. So don't let the health issues meets immigration issues element scare you, lest (like me) you start getting raised eyebrows about being a mental case!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lambuel N Ruby
For 457 we only had X-rays.

For PR, we had to do:
- X-rays again (it was just easier than tracking down the ones we had done last month for 457's, having them sent to a govt approved radiologist, etc.)
- blood draw (HIV, probably hepatitis, and I don't know what else they look for there, but not a fasting one or anything)
- listened to heart and lungs
- neck glands
- poked abdomen
- blood pressure
- interview about past hospitalizations, surgery, etc.

In downtown Melbourne, it took 3 hours...a lot of waiting in between steps. Cost was was under $300.

I am on medication for adult ADD (Wellbutrin and Ritalin), which is common in the US and very uncommon in Australia. My examining doctor was very kind and made a call to an approving high-level doctor who agreed to give me a pass on the condition without requiring a psychiatric re*****l, request for medical records, etc. This would have been quite expensive.

My advice is to 1) be honest 2) know what you're going to be asked about up front and bring documentation that can help deescalate any concerns, so you don't have to go to the next level (re*****ls to a GP/follow up exams) 3) keep it together emotionally! They are extremely courteous (like nearly all Australians that we've encountered) and do their best to make you comfortable. I didn't have to even disrobe, as an example. So don't let the health issues meets immigration issues element scare you, lest (like me) you start getting raised eyebrows about being a mental case!
hey thanks for the info. much apreciated
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I also have recently had a urine test which showed up traces of protein which I have NEVER had before. I then drank gallons of water before my next test and same results. Had additional tests at hospital but was found to be ok.

I think you could be right - a problem with the testing kit in this part of the world!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

When we had our xrays and bloods done by HSA in Perth, it was a very hot day, and we were both dehydrated and i had protien trace. The nurse was really nice and said when we come back for the medical a few days later she would re-do the urine test, and thankfully all was fine.

She told us to drink 3 litres a day - which we did for the following 2 days!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:29 am
kjb
Forum Regular

kjb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tking
I also had this when I was in the UK and my doctor was just doing some normal tests. Not sure whether it is true but he said often when it is just a trace amount it is to do with 'being female' and not to sound crude but for future tests just to 'pop a tampon in'. Having taken this advice and had two medicals since for visa app it's advice that seems to work!