Medicals - Heart murmur

Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:07 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice
Default Medicals - Heart murmur

We went for our medicals today and the doctor noticed that my little girl has a heart murmur.
We knew nothing about it. The doctor did her best to reassure us and said it was unlikely to fail her medical as it 'sounded innocent' and she had documented that. We have to however see our GP for ant further investigations.
Anyway I've already given her some early xmas pressies while I try to remain calm.
Suddenly all my priorities have changed. I'd happily never set foot in Australia again for a guarantee that she's ok.
Still parents always think the worst so I'm just about to pour a wine and try to relax. I'll take some carers leave tomorrow and take her to the gp.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Lyx; Dec 15th 2009 at 8:32 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

jayde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicals - Heart murmur

there is nothing worse than having fears for our children, I hope you have the news you want when you get to the dr and can calmly continue with your plans.

all the best thoughts going your way

best wishes
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

All the best. I hope it's nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

rafique is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
what if one parent or partner has heart surgery i mean by pass of heart ? in this case what will doctor will say in his report positive or negative
Old Dec 16th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

home alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nice

My OH had major heart surgery in 2003, we were worried like ........... ! Also because of paying, which you have to do in Aus., for his regular medication, but the Dr. who did our medicals, was from Tasmania, he gave us a good idea how much the 'pills' would cost, which was 'very good' compared to UK, he also has 'white coat syndrome, higher BP, when tested by Dr.'s, we passed our medicals!

Many, many, children have heart murmurs, some Dr.'s hear it, some don't, a very high percentage grow out of it, IF, they have one!
Of course, once someone says anything about our family, it raises alarm bells, beyond any, comforting words. So sorry this has happened, I'm sure it will be 'sorted' quiet quickly, for you all, good luck
Old Dec 16th 2009, 9:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a heart murmur, found out when I was pregnant, never picked up before because I'd never had a proper medical. I mentioned mine at my Aus med and the doctor in effect said 'yeah, so what, you and millions of others'. Chances are, had you not needed the med, you'd never have known and neither would she. Don't worry about it until there's a reason you have to.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

itsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura about

Lyx, I'm a paeds nurse, and I've lost count of the amount of kids that I see in a week who have heart murmurs, the majority of which turn out to be innocent (those that don't tend to be the young babies who also have other cardiac symptoms).

I know you will not settle yourself until you have had all the extra investigations done, but 99 times out of 100 if there was something to worry about your little one would have been showing cardiac symptoms previously... try not to worry too much and let us know how you get on
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

LoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lyx
We went for our medicals today and the doctor noticed that my little girl has a heart murmur.
We knew nothing about it. The doctor did her best to reassure us and said it was unlikely to fail her medical as it 'sounded innocent' and she had documented that. We have to however see our GP for ant further investigations.
Anyway I've already given her some early xmas pressies while I try to remain calm.
Suddenly all my priorities have changed. I'd happily never set foot in Australia again for a guarantee that she's ok.
Still parents always think the worst so I'm just about to pour a wine and try to relax. I'll take some carers leave tomorrow and take her to the gp.
Thanks for listening.

I hope all is fine my neice has the same is she is fine I just hope your little girl will be too. I can understand fully that your priority now is your family especially at this time of year.

Keep us updated on how she is when you have been to the GP x
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:00 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Thanks for all your words of support. I've calmed down to a part frenzy today. Got GP appointment on Friday, so I'll keep you all posted.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

xLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nice

Aw Lyx I really feel for you, we are due to get ours done on Wednesday and I cannot begin to imagine what your going through.....I think I've said to you before that I am a Cardiology Nurse and like the OP said many thousands of people have murmurs and have no idea, they go through life without it causing any problems and most children grow out of theirs.....and I also know that you won't rest easy until you have it fully investigated.

Let us know how you get on.

L
xx
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:53 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Hi Lyx,

I hope all works out well, but

Suddenly all my priorities have changed. I'd happily never set foot in Australia again for a guarantee that she's ok
and

I've got a heart murmur, found out ......... never picked up before because I'd never had a proper medical
are why I tell all my clients who stress about passing the medical is that it is a win-win for you if you feel well. Either you pass, or else you find out about a condition that can be treated much earlier than it would have been.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:39 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Hi everyone, Our GP was quite positive. It's a definate murmur so we're being referred to the peadiatrians. However it's a systolic murmur and she's healthy so we're hoping for good news.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Here's hoping.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

LoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really niceLoopyL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lyx
Hi everyone, Our GP was quite positive. It's a definate murmur so we're being referred to the peadiatrians. However it's a systolic murmur and she's healthy so we're hoping for good news.
Oh im glad hope all is good
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

xLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nicexLaLax is just really nice

Lyx that's good news....i hope everything works out for you
Originally Posted by Lyx