Medicals

Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:12 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicals

I read a few posts on here before about medicals but i really did not believe how little i had to worry about. I am applying here in Aus. for a defacto spouse visa and had my medical at the beginning of this week. I am not the fittest person, my eyesight isn't up to scratch, I used to smoke a lot and i go through about a slab of beer per week, I also have a "dodgey" shoulderblade that still isn't heald properly from a fracture several years ago but the doctor with his infinite wisdom said I am, and I quote "the picture of health, should have no problem staying in the country as far as the medicals go"! I was so relieved. So really, my main point is that all you out there worrying about your medicals have nothing to worry about at all really unless you have some really serious medical issue(s).

NJJ
Old Aug 12th 2004, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

ozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really nice
Default Re: Medicals

Hey NJJ,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Could you let us know what all they check for in the 'Medicals'. Do thety ask you for previous medical reports, etc.. Please share the list of things they do.

Thanks !

Originally Posted by NJJ
I read a few posts on here before about medicals but i really did not believe how little i had to worry about. I am applying here in Aus. for a defacto spouse visa and had my medical at the beginning of this week. I am not the fittest person, my eyesight isn't up to scratch, I used to smoke a lot and i go through about a slab of beer per week, I also have a "dodgey" shoulderblade that still isn't heald properly from a fracture several years ago but the doctor with his infinite wisdom said I am, and I quote "the picture of health, should have no problem staying in the country as far as the medicals go"! I was so relieved. So really, my main point is that all you out there worrying about your medicals have nothing to worry about at all really unless you have some really serious medical issue(s).

NJJ
Old Aug 14th 2004, 1:03 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozanand2004
Hey NJJ,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Could you let us know what all they check for in the 'Medicals'. Do thety ask you for previous medical reports, etc.. Please share the list of things they do.

Thanks !

My main problem was finding the right doctor's surgery, as there are three at the address listed on my letter for meds LOL!

I had my medical done in country victoria, australia it may well be different in other locations. Had to attend hospital first off for chest x ray and blood test. chest x-ray you have to take top off, stand facing wall and they x-ray from behind you. then the radiographer/docter signs your form 160 and seals it then off you go to part with money. blood test was where nurse has to sign you photo on form 26 then sticks needle in your arm for a few secs and takes some blood. then off you go with a bit of cotton wool of your arm to part with more money. 1 week later I attended the doctors (correct one this time!) with part A of form 26 completed and heres what happened:

went into doctors at 0955 for 1000 appointment
sat in waiting room for 25-30 mins listening to paul simon song "diamonds in soles of shoes" on continuous repeat, Then spent 10mins working out ways to disable piped music in waiting room
Summoned to doctor's office, sat facing wall for eye test without specs. Then took eye test again with specs on. I could not read the whole eye chart but soctor seemed to think that was no problem.
took off shoes and got weighed / height measured.
Doctor then spent 3/4 minutes on computer searching for results of blood test - all clear.
Took off shirt and had blood pressure checked.
doctor then got me to hold breath/take deep breaths whilst listening to chest.
Then had to lie down and doctor pressed down at various places on stomach/back
sat up and got banged on knees/elbows by one on those little reflex hammer things.
blood pressure taken again.
put shirt back on and off down hallway to toilet for urine sample.
returned sample to doctor who then tested with litmus paper type stuff and all ok (there was me thinking it would be 70% proof!).
asked doctor in his experience if there were any concerns / problems that would hold back my application and he replied I am in tip top condition??! (News to me!)
Idle chit-chat about weather/sports with doctor whilst he finished paperwork.
returned to reception office to part with more money.
all in all in just over 1 hour after arriving i was finished, and half of that time was spent in the waiting room. The most painful part of the whole procedure was the parting of the money!

hope this helps!

kind regards
NJJ
Old Aug 16th 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

ozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really nice

Hi NJJ

Thank you for a nice descriptive narration.. This puts me at ease.. Hopefully, my doctor is as good too..

Thanks again and good luck !
Anand.

Originally Posted by NJJ
My main problem was finding the right doctor's surgery, as there are three at the address listed on my letter for meds LOL!

I had my medical done in country victoria, australia it may well be different in other locations. Had to attend hospital first off for chest x ray and blood test. chest x-ray you have to take top off, stand facing wall and they x-ray from behind you. then the radiographer/docter signs your form 160 and seals it then off you go to part with money. blood test was where nurse has to sign you photo on form 26 then sticks needle in your arm for a few secs and takes some blood. then off you go with a bit of cotton wool of your arm to part with more money. 1 week later I attended the doctors (correct one this time!) with part A of form 26 completed and heres what happened:

went into doctors at 0955 for 1000 appointment
sat in waiting room for 25-30 mins listening to paul simon song "diamonds in soles of shoes" on continuous repeat, Then spent 10mins working out ways to disable piped music in waiting room
Summoned to doctor's office, sat facing wall for eye test without specs. Then took eye test again with specs on. I could not read the whole eye chart but soctor seemed to think that was no problem.
took off shoes and got weighed / height measured.
Doctor then spent 3/4 minutes on computer searching for results of blood test - all clear.
Took off shirt and had blood pressure checked.
doctor then got me to hold breath/take deep breaths whilst listening to chest.
Then had to lie down and doctor pressed down at various places on stomach/back
sat up and got banged on knees/elbows by one on those little reflex hammer things.
blood pressure taken again.
put shirt back on and off down hallway to toilet for urine sample.
returned sample to doctor who then tested with litmus paper type stuff and all ok (there was me thinking it would be 70% proof!).
asked doctor in his experience if there were any concerns / problems that would hold back my application and he replied I am in tip top condition??! (News to me!)
Idle chit-chat about weather/sports with doctor whilst he finished paperwork.
returned to reception office to part with more money.
all in all in just over 1 hour after arriving i was finished, and half of that time was spent in the waiting room. The most painful part of the whole procedure was the parting of the money!

hope this helps!

kind regards
NJJ